The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > Second batch - trying for a good everyday beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2012, 04:58 PM   #1
thanantos
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Second batch - trying for a good everyday beer

I like the bitter end of beers (IPA's - my favorite is Centennial IPA from Founder's) and something with a just a little sweetness to it as well so I am trying to come up with a decent everyday drinker for myself since I am gluten intolerant.

I brewed my first batch last spring (busy year) and it was GREAT! After much reading here I tried to make things simple. Toasted quinoa (not malted) steeped for 20 minutes then a 60 minute boil of 6lb sorghum, 1lb rice solids and an ounce or so of fresh frozen cascade hops a buddy gave me from his garden. I dry hopped with Amarillo.

It was honestly the best GF beer I have ever had, but I could also see it's deficiencies (no complexity to the hops, light mouth feel, color, etc.) so I thought I would try again with a new recipe to address those. I also did not feel I got anything from the quinoa and it was damn expensive so I left it out.

Here is the recipe I brewed yesterday:

6.9lbs of sorghum (LHBS bought in bulk and filled mason jars of 2.3lbs each) (I spread this out: 2.3lbs at 40, 25 and 15 minutes)
1lb of rice solids (60 minutes)
1lb of dark candi syrup (60 minutes)

1oz. Cascade (60 minutes)
1oz. Columbus (sprinkled a few pellets at a time from 45 minutes until I had about a third of a bag left at 23 minutes and dumped it in. Not very scientific, but it was fun.)
4oz. maltodextrin (20 minutes)
1oz. Citra (5 minutes)
4oz maltodextrin

I had to add more water than I expected (ended up at 5.75 gallons or so) to hit my OG (1.060), but it tastes and smells great. Since the LHBS packaged the sorghum it is possible they were a little heavier than marked. The color was also quite dark with a brown tint rather than the rust color of the sorghum alone.

I DO plan to dry hop this with Amarillo and I want to try a very similar recipe in two weeks and NOT dry hop that so I can to compare the two side by side.

Last edited by thanantos; 05-10-2012 at 05:01 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2012, 06:23 PM   #2
ChasidicCalvinist
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I think that looks pretty good!

so whether you eat or drink, whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.

http://acts2815.wordpress.com

Old 05-10-2012, 09:22 PM   #3
igliashon
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Looks pretty similar to the grapefruit IPA I brewed up not too long ago (minus the grapefruit, of course), and that one's easily the best thing I've ever brewed...so you should be very pleased with your results!

Old 05-10-2012, 09:41 PM   #4
Satisfaction
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 25 Posts

This looks great!

It follows a grain bill that is very similar to what I have been using, it does not disappoint. Lately been trying to keep the Sorghum to ~60% of the total grain and they have been great. Will post my recipe in a separate thread so not to hijack too much.

Old 05-28-2012, 03:56 PM   #5
thanantos
Recipes 

I originally pitched one packet of S-04 and did not rehydrate. I just through it on top and popped the lid on. I also did NOT use yeast nutrient in this batch. Since then the temperature has been a steady 66 degrees.

It's been 20 days since I pitched the yeast.

Fermentation was....lazy...I would say. I had bubbles the next day that moved up in a nice bell curve until about day 3 or 4 when I had a bubble a second or so. That slowly slowed to a bubble every 5 seconds or so a few days ago and stayed there.

I took a hydrometer reading today and got 1.02. My target gravity is 1.013. I also had a TON of hops on the top of the wort as well as suspended in it.

Not sure what exactly went wrong, but the batch I brewed less than two weeks ago has already hit it's FG. Same exact procedure and storing conditions EXCEPT I used yeast nutrient in that batch.

Hoping to fix this, I brought my fermenter up from my basement and put it in my dining room which I hope will boost the temp to around 70 and kick start fermentation.

Cross your fingers

Old 05-28-2012, 04:34 PM   #6
igliashon
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 40

What I've been doing with my dry yeasts is rehydrating them about 30 minutes prior to pitching, usually just before I start the cool-down. While the wort is cooling, I'll add just a couple drops of it to the yeast. By the time I'm ready to pitch, the yeast is frothing up pretty good, and so far my fermentations have been getting going quite quick, and finishing in record times. And I don't use yeast nutrient (though I've been thinking of adding some, in hopes of getting fermentation finished even faster).

Lots of people on this board advocate extreme patience in homebrewing, but there are a few who claim that proper pitching rates and temperatures can allow you get drinkable beer in a month. I'm hoping to cut my fermentation time down to two weeks or less (1 in primary, 1 in secondary, or just 10-14 days in primary if I can get it to clear adequately). Of course big beers with higher ABV will always need more time, but I feel like going grain to glass in a month for a simple blonde or pale ale should be feasible.

Old 05-28-2012, 11:22 PM   #7
thanantos
Recipes 

Yeah, I took a look at Safale's website and found these instructions:
http://www.fermentis.com/fo/pdf/HB/E...le_S-04_HB.pdf

Rehydrate AND add nutrient will happen in the future.

For now I will give it a bit in the dining room to see what happens. I've also been gently agitating trying to get some of the yeast up and suspended again.

If I don't have anything by tomorrow I will boil up a slurry of table sugar and nutrient and toss that in.

Old 05-29-2012, 05:23 PM   #8
thanantos
Recipes 

Just to update, I woke up today and I had a just little bit of airlock activity so I mixed up some table sugar and yeast nutrient and tossed that in.

I am hoping that will be enough to get me down to my FG.

The stick-on temp gauge is now hovering between 70 and 72 as well.

Old 05-31-2012, 06:17 PM   #9
thanantos
Recipes 

My messing around seems to have worked a little. Hydrometer reading today shows 1.018

Ugghh, I think this batch might be buggered. It has a really strong alcohol snap right up front like cheap booze. However, according to my calculations the ABV at this point should only be around 5.20%

I am going to let it sit for a few weeks and forget about it.

Old 05-31-2012, 07:26 PM   #10
planetscott
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I know a Thanatos on the Falcons message board? Same person?

Quick Reply