New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > Second Batch

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2010, 04:46 PM   #11
uechikid
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Update

I forgot to update this batch.
I was very concerned about how hoppy this batch was going to be. After letting it sit in the secondary for a few weeks before bottling, and then not tasting for about a month this is a real good beer.
Yes the bite did mellow some. One thing I didn't take into account when tasting along the way is, the bite mellows after refrigerating.

"Carpe Diem"

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2010, 06:09 PM   #12
DKershner
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 21 Posts

Not sure how much refrigeration had an effect, I have never noticed that one.

Tasting beer out of the fermenter is always really bitter and crazy hoppy though. You can count on the transfer to bottles and conditioning lightening it up quite a bit.

Old 07-08-2010, 07:19 PM   #13
uechikid
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkershner View Post
Not sure how much refrigeration had an effect, I have never noticed that one.

Tasting beer out of the fermenter is always really bitter and crazy hoppy though. You can count on the transfer to bottles and conditioning lightening it up quite a bit.
I think the flavors blend together better when the beer is cold. If you've ever had a room temperature beer and then had the same beer cold, they don't even taste like the same beer. To me anyway.

"Carpe Diem"

Old 07-08-2010, 07:23 PM   #14
DKershner
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by uechikid View Post
I think the flavors blend together better when the beer is cold. If you've ever had a room temperature beer and then had the same beer cold, they don't even taste like the same beer. To me anyway.
The only difference I perceive is a large carbonation difference. Although making the beer colder does tone down the taste, so I can see where you are coming from. It is why frequently in other countries beers are drank warmer, to really taste them.

Old 07-08-2010, 07:24 PM   #15
Lcasanova
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by uechikid View Post
I always thought temperature and carbonation had something to do with the taste. A warmer beer would taste different and would seem more carbonated than one that was cold...right?

Old 07-08-2010, 08:13 PM   #16
Noontime
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I can't say from experience since I've never tested it with beer, but theoretically you’re right. Colder solutions hold more gas than warmer ones. And cold also affects your tongue's ability to taste (a common practice in wine is to chill a not so great one to make it more palatable).

As for warmer beer in other countries, I think that just comes from serving beer at room temperature...but most other countries are a lot colder than the U.S. so room temp is still pretty cool.

I know with wine, temp makes a huge difference...I would think it would be much more pronounced with beer.

www.noontimelabels.com

Old 07-08-2010, 10:10 PM   #17
DKershner
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcasanova View Post
I always thought temperature and carbonation had something to do with the taste. A warmer beer would taste different and would seem more carbonated than one that was cold...right?
The warmer beverage would actually BE less carbonated than the colder one, because the amount of CO2 in the beverage is constant, and the pressure in the headspace would vary with temperature inversely with the beverages CO2 content.

In other words, the beer would hold less of the CO2 at a warmer temperature pushing more into the headspace when you opened it.

Old 07-08-2010, 10:12 PM   #18
DKershner
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noontime View Post
I can't say from experience since I've never tested it with beer, but theoretically you’re right. Colder solutions hold more gas than warmer ones. And cold also affects your tongue's ability to taste (a common practice in wine is to chill a not so great one to make it more palatable).

As for warmer beer in other countries, I think that just comes from serving beer at room temperature...but most other countries are a lot colder than the U.S. so room temp is still pretty cool.

I know with wine, temp makes a huge difference...I would think it would be much more pronounced with beer.
Don't get me wrong, serving temperature definitely makes a large difference, but I was just questioning the fact that fermenter hop flavor was only different from cold beer due to the temperature. In my experience, a warm, flat beer in a bottle is still much less hoppy due to the conditioning process, not because of carb or temp.

Old 07-09-2010, 02:27 AM   #19
uechikid
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

It's the same with food too. You cook a tri-tip, slice it up and have a great dinner. Then the next day you go to the fridge and grab a piece to nibble on and it doesn't taste as good. But you put it in the micro wave for 30 seconds and....BAM the flavor is back.

"Carpe Diem"

Last edited by uechikid; 07-09-2010 at 02:29 AM.

Old 08-03-2010, 06:00 PM   #20
uechikid
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default She Loves It

Well I finally got around to getting this beer to the friend that I made it for. I took a case with use when we got together for four days on Lake Oroville.
She loves it. I was concerned that it might be to hoppy but she thought that was what made it great. The way she was drinking it I'm going to have to get busy and make some more.

"Carpe Diem"

Quick Reply