Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > Recipes!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2011, 02:24 AM   #1
dorklord
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Recipes!

I just thought I'd share a couple quick recipes.

The first one is based on NB's AK47 pale mild. I used:

3 lbs Sorghum extract
.5 lbs Demerara ("raw sugar")
.5 lbs Brown Sugar
.25 lbs ‘darkish’ candi sugar (some leftover home-made candi sugar)
.7 oz East Kent Goldings (55 min)
.2 oz East Kent Goldings (15 min)
Spoonful of molasses
Yeast: Safale S-04
4 gallon boil, 5 gallon batch.

I forgot to add maltodextrin to this batch, it came out a little bit thin, I had intended to add 4 oz. If you are looking for a fairly light beer, you might be happy with 2 oz. Also, you could certainly steep some grains, or use a full pound of a dark candi sugar if you want a darker, more 'regular mild'.

The next recipe was a british bitter:

6 lbs sorghum extract
1 lb rice extract
Steeped 5 oz roast buckwheat for about 20 minutes
4 oz maltodextrin
1 oz EKG 60 minutes
1 oz EKG 1 minute
Yeast: Danstar Windsor

Now, with this batch, I steeped my buckwheat, and after I was done steeping it...to be honest, I felt like it had been a waste of time. The water was just cloudy and smelled faintly of roast buckwheat. I'm going to try this batch again, only using 1 lb of candi sugar instead of the rice extract and forgetting the buckwheat entirely, just to see what difference it makes.

The only other thing I want to try differently with this batch is to try using the S-04. I'm happy with the flavor of both of these beers, but the S-04 worked pretty fast on the pale mild, and made a very clear beer with a very good yeast cake.

Also, both of these batches were done with late-extract additions, which I think has made a very big difference in my brewing. Personally, I'm going to avoid boiling sorghum for an hour in the future...

That's bread yeast. Look at it sitting there, all depressed. Listless. Beer yeast doesn't look like that. It has hopes. Dreams. Something to look forward to...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply