Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > Recipe: Saison of love (GF)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2013, 01:55 AM   #1
motorneuron
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Default Recipe: Saison of love (GF)

I had previously posted about wanting to make a beer for a friend whose almost-wife (wedding in two weeks) has celiac disease. After looking at a lot of material and asking a lot of advice, this is the recipe I created. As of today (4/2/13) I haven't yet tasted it fully carbonated, etc., though I have had a sample after checking the gravity, and I'm very pleased with the results. That is to say I don't normally brew GF, so I'm very new to this, but I think it's good! I figured I'd post it here in case anyone wants to make something similar. (As part of my research into GF beers, I have had the Alchemist's Celia beer, and I don't remember precisely how similar this is.)

One important note: I did use WLP566, which is not technically gluten free, but instead is extremely low in slurry form (12 ppm). My understanding is that when used in beer, any gluten is sufficiently dilute that the beer that results would pass government standards for GF (< 2ppm). (See http://www.whitelabs.com/faq/beer-professional) I had planned to use Danstar's Belle Saison yeast but couldn't get any of it in time; I imagine that would be best practice.

3 GALLON BATCH RECIPE

link is here: http://hopville.com/recipe/1691863

partial mash
OG ~1.052
FG ~1.010
IBU ~33
SRM ~6

MASH:
.5 lb gluten-free oats
1 lb chestnuts
Mash with amylase at 150F for 60 minutes.

OTHER FERMENTABLES:
2 lbs Briess sorghum syrup
10 oz orange blossom honey
8 oz maltodextrin
8 oz (home made) amber candy sugar

BOIL:
This recipe uses only a 35 minute boil, since hop usage is pretty simple. From what I've read, it's also good to add many of the sugar/syrup ingredients close to the end of the boil. So:

35 mins: 1 oz Styrian Goldings pellet (4.5% AA)
10 minutes: 1/3 a whirlifloc tablet
7 minutes: add all of the "other fermentables" above
5 minutes: add zest of one Seville/sour/bitter orange, and 1 tsp crushed Indian coriander; also add yeast nutrient

FERMENTATION
As mentioned above, I used WLP566, though 565 would also work if you have time and patience and/or it's going to be hot enough for that yeast to work. I pitched the yeast with wort in the high 60s, and allowed temperature to free rise; mine hit 75F. Fermentation was very quick (566 is known for that).

I will bottle shortly; might use turbinado for priming.

Old 04-03-2013, 05:33 AM   #2
igliashon
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 40

That looks like an excellent recipe. I did not know that Danstar made a dry saison yeast; I was actually contemplating trying some White Labs just to make a saison as summer approaches, now I don't have to. Let us know how the finished beer comes out!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2013, 12:13 PM   #3
motorneuron
Recipes 

Thanks!

Yeah, they do: http://www.danstaryeast.com/products/belle-saison-yeast I would have liked to try it, but I wasn't able to get it in time for brew day. Seems like a good option though. People have had good experience with it: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/new...-yeast-359806/

I will definitely post again once I've had it in carbonated form.

Old 04-03-2013, 02:36 PM   #4
Cainepolo12
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

I bought some belle Saison to t in my next batch, but I want to wait for it to get hot so I can ferment it in the hot garage. Can't wait to try it. I also just brewed a pale ale using Mosaics hops, and it smells amazing! Igliashon, I haven't forgotten you, we just had some issues with the family so it's on the burner. Waiting for this pale to finish up.

Old 04-03-2013, 03:36 PM   #5
motorneuron
Recipes 

The thing about most saison yeasts is that even though they CAN get very hot, they don't HAVE to get very hot to produce good results. I'm pretty pleased with the level of funk that the 566 threw just from pitching at 68 and letting it rise to 75F. The flavors and aromas are noticeable, with a bubblegum taste on the finish, and some vaguely "wild" character--but not overwhelming. So unless you have another batch you're working on, I say go ahead and make a saison now. You can save the yeast to repitch as the temperature keeps rising, of course. Remember that a vigorous fermentation will up the temperature over ambient by a fair amount.

Old 04-03-2013, 05:56 PM   #6
BBBF
Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I still have pkg of the belle-saison yeast waiting to be used, but I was pleased enough with my last beer (3 gallon batch/3lbs of sorghum, 2lbs popcorn + enzymes) that I'd like to repeat it. Keep us posted on how your saison turns out. I haven't decided on a recipe for the saison yet.

Old 04-04-2013, 11:09 AM   #7
Safa
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 19 Posts

Looks great to my limited experienced eyes!

One question for you all though: Dont you need to have something in the boil along with the hops right from the beginning, otherwise you wont get much hop utilization?

My understanding was that the hops needed something in there to help actually extract the oils (forget what that process is called). Which is why with regular extract beers (which also recommend adding most fermantables at the end) you still have to add some (+/- a third) at the start of the boil.

A little irreverence is good for the soul

Old 04-04-2013, 12:53 PM   #8
motorneuron
Recipes 

Ah, I don't know. This beer does have the sugar and whatever else from the oats + chestnuts in there from the mini-mash step; In my 3-gallon batch, I think I wound up with a gravity of about 1.015 from just those. And actually, when I made this, I added the maltodextrin right away, and then candy sugar pretty early in the boil too, because that's when I was ready with it. Anyway, I guess I may have to read up on when to use the extracts.

Old 04-04-2013, 01:47 PM   #9
Safa
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 19 Posts

Oh damnit. I totally forgot about your mini mash step when I wrote that question. That would have given you enough to get at the hops, I'm just scatter brained obviously.

A little irreverence is good for the soul

Old 04-30-2013, 05:43 PM   #10
motorneuron
Recipes 

As an update, I tried this beer two days ago. Wow! I'm very pleased. So is the intended recipient, who wrote me an effusive email. I myself am not gluten-intolerant, so I'm not totally familiar with the landscape of GF beers. But this one really came out tasting like a saison. The citrus came through just the right amount, as did the yeast notes (I fermented in the low 70s).

The beer also got rave reviews from its intended recipient--she said she likes full-flavored beers but has had a hard time finding them since she found out she couldn't tolerate gluten.

I think if I did it again I'd make the candi sugar slightly lighter in color (there was a slight caramel note, especially on the finish, that didn't totally mesh). But otherwise, I recommend it!

Quick Reply