The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > Recipe per chance?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2013, 06:42 PM   #1
Setsumi
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Recipe per chance?

I have access to commercial sorghum malt, quite cheap. It is used to brew traditional African opaque beer umqombothi much like chica.

I had a batch of dry beer based on the sorghum malt and inverted cane sugar, not hopped and quite thin and not very palatable that I per specific reason had to boil again. After the boil when all the alcohol was burned off I took a brix/balling (sg) measure and it showed a higher reading as before the boil, quite high in the 2% plus avb potential. I am sure that the beer was dry before the boil but thought that maybe I should use the post boil as base for a new brew, sort of a sorghum UJSM if it makes sense...

Low and behold this new brew has much potential as a drinkable beer,so much that I will bottle some of it as an experiment. The sourness of the sorghum is nicely balanced by a full sweet grain taste that contemplates the alcohol. If there were some hops in it would make for very drinkable beer.

I contemplated a long time to brew a beer with this sorghum malt as base and today I am certain that I will be able to drink such a brew without trouble.

Setsumi

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2013, 08:17 PM   #2
Safa
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Sawubona Setsumi!

Nice to hear your results are good! Let us know how the bottled version comes out, and maybe post a picture for us too

A little irreverence is good for the soul

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply