Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > Quinoa Pale Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2012, 08:41 AM   #71
skullface1818
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

this is way out of my league and equipment to attempt, but its going to be done for next years passover.

this recipe has no grains (.25 of rice syrup can be removed) in it, and it is, by my count, kosher for passover.......quite an accomplishment if it tastes good.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2012, 03:01 PM   #72
igliashon
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by spagyric View Post
The guy I mentioned above does his mash by mashing at normal temps and then removing the liquid to preserve the enzymes. He then raises the mash to gelatinization temperatures and adds the liquid with the enzymes back in to convert the mash. It sounds like a PITA, but I think it's probably the only way to get malted GF grains to convert on their own (or with added enzymes for that matter).

I'm looking into trying to malt some millet and buckwheat to make beers for my wife and am planning to using this mashing process. I'll probably be doing a lot of experimentation once I get enough malt made. I'll definitely post about it when I get the project underway.
This sounds like a stroke of genius, mashing first to get the enzymes, straining them off, gelatinizing the grains, and then adding them back in. Any idea what kind of efficiency he achieves with this? This is the first method I've seen that seems viable and doesn't depend on adding enzymes. If this turns out to be reasonably efficient, this might be reason for me to try an all-grain approach.

Old 03-13-2012, 03:57 PM   #73
dorklord
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Sounds like a decoction mash...

That's bread yeast. Look at it sitting there, all depressed. Listless. Beer yeast doesn't look like that. It has hopes. Dreams. Something to look forward to...

Old 06-24-2012, 05:42 PM   #74
roymeo
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Quinoa Bitter

The Quinoa bitter recipe in "The Homebrewer's Garden" only calls for 6 pounds of raw quinoa with about that much in malted barley. (Extract recipe is only 1/2 pound.)

They do mention several things that are in this thread, from amaranth to home malting, I'd definitely recommend it to anyone interested in non-standard grains or herbs and for the grow-your-own hops and malt-your-own grains. Gruit makers too (especially so you can avoid the old herbs which may be known to be carcinogenic).

Quick Reply