Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > Pumpkin Bourbon Dubbel

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2012, 01:16 AM   #11
ChasidicCalvinist
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 22

When you have not brewed in a few months brew day is like Christmas--especially when it smells like this one did

so whether you eat or drink, whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.

http://acts2815.wordpress.com

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2012, 12:32 PM   #12
Sipwreck
Recipes 

Likes Given: 4

What yeast are you planning to use? I was thinking...
WYEAST STRAIN: 3522 | Belgian Ardennes

Or something in that family.

Old 10-16-2012, 04:31 PM   #13
ATXmusic85
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Does a gluten free beer like this end up tasting like its barley-based ale counterpart? My wife is sensitive to gluten and I've been wanting to brew up something gluten free for her, and this might just be perfect.

Thanks,

Trace

Old 10-16-2012, 07:52 PM   #14
ChasidicCalvinist
Recipes 

It certainly can, if it is done right. I've made several that friends liked so much they requested to take some samples home with them. I've also made some pretty bad ones. But the whole world of GF is experiment: trial, error and success.

I haven't had a chance to taste this since I just bottled it a day or so ago. If you do make it do three things: USE 5lbs of oats at least. The brown rice syrup only (What I ended up making) comes out very thin. I'd also use 1lb of lactose or 1lb of maltodextrine. Finally, only use 1 cup of bourbon. I bought Wild Turkey Honey Bourbon and it tastes great and goes well with this beer, but 1 1/2 cups of bourbon (what I ended up using) still comes through a little too pronounced. I want the bourbon flavor, but I wanted it to be just slightly more subtle.

Old 10-16-2012, 09:17 PM   #15
Waldoshi
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

I agree on the Cloves. Might be a translation error there (I have the book, not looking at it now though ((PS, great book for ideas and small batch creativity!)) good buy.) as 2 spoons of whole clove is nice, 2 spoons of powdered clove would numb the mouth of a horse. I have two questions on the back of this. I'm trying to make a Harvest Wheat due to well, I got a great deal on some still fresh wheat all components and I'd like to use them. BUT!! I want to change it up and add sweet potato, pumpkin, craisins and wild rice to the grains for a flavor change. My questions are as follows:
1. How much grain should I remove in a 5 gal batch recipe to add this in? I was thinking about 20-25%, but I don't mind making the beer strong. (For fall/winter, it is desirable.)
2. Making things from wild rice, and not having wild rice flake, do I just boil it like I would instant rice to gelatinize it and then add it in the mash?
3. Planning on adding spice as well: cinnamon sticks, clove, all-spice powder, fennel on the pattern above. Has anyone ever added this to a wheat beer?
4. The syrup, molasses and maltodextrin...I'm assuming this is relative to a dubble and not needed in a wheat style brew?
5. While I'm slapping the style in the face, I plan on dry hopping this and floating some craisins in it for about 4-5 days in secondary. Any thoughts?

PS -- my first all grain 5 gallon batch btw. Batch sparging in used equipment I need to test for water leakage, so if that changes anything...fire away.

Old 10-16-2012, 10:18 PM   #16
ChasidicCalvinist
Recipes 

I'm not sure if you'll find many answers to your questions regarding brewing with wheat since this is a gluten free forum. That being said, the syrup, molasses and maltodextrin--I'm pretty sure molasses is in the brooklyn brewshop book, but the syrup and malto are because it is a gf beer and we have to rely on some other adjuncts since we can't use barley, rye or wheat. I'm afraid I'm not much help on your other questions.

Old 10-16-2012, 11:30 PM   #17
Waldoshi
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasidicCalvinist
I'm not sure if you'll find many answers to your questions regarding brewing with wheat since this is a gluten free forum. That being said, the syrup, molasses and maltodextrin--I'm pretty sure molasses is in the brooklyn brewshop book, but the syrup and malto are because it is a gf beer and we have to rely on some other adjuncts since we can't use barley, rye or wheat. I'm afraid I'm not much help on your other questions.
Ahh, well, sorry. Followed a link from another discussion. Crap.
Beer. Like everything else in life, if you like it cheap, fast and something pleasing to everyone, you'll end up considered cheap, fast and a joke to everyone that really cares. Don't be a life-slut, drink good beer. -MW

Old 10-17-2012, 12:16 AM   #18
igliashon
Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 40

We're getting too popular for our own good!

Old 10-17-2012, 06:26 PM   #19
Devils13
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I am looking to brew a GF pumpkin Belgian Dubbel Beer but I have had little success brewing good GF beers. How does this recipe look for a 2 gal batch

2 gal
2 lb rice syrup solids
1 lb brown sugar
0.20 maple syrup
0.2 maltodextrine

0.4 hallertau 60 min
0.2 sazz 30 min
0.2 liberty 10 min

1.5 sticks Cinnamon sticks 60 min
1/8 tsp cloves 5 min
1/8 tsp all spice 5 min
¼ tsp Pumpkin pie spice primary
Safbrew-wheat beer yeast WB-06

Should I add Sorghum or anything else?

Old 10-17-2012, 06:43 PM   #20
ChasidicCalvinist
Recipes 

I would steep 1lb-2lbs of oats or other GF grain prior to the boil for body and some more complexity of flavor. I also don't know if Safbrew-wheat beer yeast WB-06 is GF--it certainly doesn't sound like it. Some non-gf beers are okay in larger batches but in a 2 gal batch that might be a risk. The seasoning looks good. I'd up the pie spice to 1/2 tsp though.

Quick Reply