Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > Pumpkin Bourbon Dubbel

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2012, 12:34 AM   #1
ChasidicCalvinist
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Default Pumpkin Bourbon Dubbel

I am pretty excited about this but before I brew it I wanted feedback. My main concern is the rice syrup solids--I've never used those. Is the amount I'm using enough? Can you brew with only rice syrup solids?

5 Gallon Batch

4lbs sugar baby pumpkin
4lbs rice solids
5 cups light brown sugar
8oz molasses
8oz maltodextrine

3 cinnamon sticks
2 ½ cups raisins
2 TBSP cloves
1 tsp pumpkin pie spice

Directions

Peel and seed pumpkin and cut into 1 inch cubes. Toss in bowl with 1 ½ cup brown sugar. Place in 325 oven for 60 minutes.

Steep pumpkins (minus 2 cups) at 149 for 40 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes. Strain the pumpkin mixture out

Bring to boil.

Add rice syrup solids, molasses, maltodextrine.

1oz Hallertau at 60

Cloves and cinnamon sticks at 60

At 30 minute mark add 1 cup of roasted pumpkin

At 30 add .25oz Saaz hops

At 30 add raisins

At 1 minute add .5 oz hallertau

At zero minutes turn off heat and add sugar, stir to dissolve.

Strain into primary and pitch yeast

Once in bucket add 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice and other cup of roasted pumpkin

Bottle with 2 cups bourbon and 1 cup maple syrup.

so whether you eat or drink, whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.

http://acts2815.wordpress.com

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2012, 03:34 AM   #2
mloster
Recipes 

You should be fine with rice syrup solids. It tends to finish fairly dry but your inclusion of maltodextrin should help with that. The brown sugar won't do much in the way of flavor. I wouldn't take it out. I'm just informing you that it won't play into the flavor profile. Your base "malts" are pretty fermentable. Again the maltodextrin will help but I might add a pound or two of roasted grain. I'd just add all of the spices with 5 minutes left in the boil or at flameout to preserve the flavor. I'm wondering why you're including 2 tablespoons of cloves. That seems like a lot!!!! Most pumpkin recipes I've seen call for 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon. They're a pretty potent spice. These are just my thoughts/ suggestions. Feel free to ignore of follow any of them as you please. Maybe someone can chime in.

Old 08-28-2012, 11:52 AM   #3
ChasidicCalvinist
Recipes 

The spices (minus the pumpkin pie spice), the pumpkin roasting method and the brown sugar all come from Brooklyn Brew Shop's GF Pumpkin Dubbel. I'm open to suggestions. I'm excited about it because I LOVE fall flavors but I want something that is well balanced with not one of the flavors being too over powering. I had been wondering about the cloves too...especially since I only have ground cloves and I didn't really want to go buy whole ones.

So you would add the cloves and cinnamon sticks with 5 left? I'm wondering what flavor the raisins would actually add too. I may end up leaving those out.

Old 08-28-2012, 03:45 PM   #4
igliashon
Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 40

I disagree, I think brown sugar absolutely contributes to the flavor profile. I used some in my take on a British bitter, and it added a sort of gingery spice to it, kind of like what the molasses adds to New Planet's Off-Grid pale ale. It'll be spot-on in a pumpkin beer.

Goodness, though, if you're using ground cloves, 2 TBSP is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too much. Your tongue will go numb, I guarantee it. Whole cloves fill up way less of a spoon than ground, and add way less flavor to the boil, so I'd dial it back to no more than a teaspoon. Maybe more like 1/2 a teaspoon, added at 5 minutes. The cinnamon sticks (you are using whole sticks, yes?) can certainly be added at 60 min, you'll get better flavor extraction that way, and unlike many aromatic herbs, you won't lose the cinnamon flavor due to boil-off of aromatics. In Chinese medicine, many formulas use cinnamon, and I can tell you that after a 2-hour boil (Chinese herbs are usually boiled for 1-2 hours and then drunk) there's still plenty of cinnamon flavor left in the liquid.

The general rules with adding herbs and spices to a beer: if it's a powder, it goes in at 5 minutes. No exceptions. If it's a flower or leaf with a delicate aroma, it goes in at 5-10 min. If it's an aromatic seed or a berry, and it's crushed, it goes in at 5-15 min. (less time for peppery stuff, more time for juniper berries). If it's a flavorful (but not too aromatic) seed or berry, it goes in at 30-60 min. (caraway, cumin, cloves--you don't want a lot of clove aroma usually--fennel, etc.). If it's a root, a stick, or a whole hunk of something and it's not ground, it should go in at 30-60 min--fresh ginger, cinnamon stick, any of the roots (licorice, burdock, sarsaparilla, sassafras, gentian, dandelion, etc.) all fall into this category. This is because hard plant matter with little surface area makes it harder to extract the good stuff.

Old 08-28-2012, 04:27 PM   #5
tflew
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Out of curiosity...how does bottling with bourbon affect the ABV. Better question would be how do you measure the increase in ABV?

Old 08-28-2012, 05:42 PM   #6
mloster
Recipes 

I'm not sure if bottling with bourbon affects carbonation, but 1 cup of maple syrup seems like a bit too much sugar. Assuming your beer was fermented at room temperature, it takes 3.5 oz of dextrose to carbonate 5 gallons of dubbel to 2.15 volumes of CO2, which is within the style guidelines. 3.5 oz by weight equals approximately 100 grams. 8oz of maple syrup contains about 190 grams of sugar, so you'd be adding an extra 90 grams of sugar. Maybe bottling with hard alcohol changes this, but otherwise I'd reconsider how much maple syrup you're using.

Personally, I'd leave the raisins in. They'll absorb some fluid, but they'll add some complexity to the beer.

Old 08-28-2012, 09:27 PM   #7
ChasidicCalvinist
Recipes 

This is awesome feedback, exactly what I needed. Thanks!

To address a few points:

I will be using whole cinnamon sticks so I will keep those at the 60 minute mark.

I will go ahead and use the raisins. Maybe I'll eat those afterward?

Nearly all of my beers have been overcarbed. 1 cup of maple syrup came from the brewshop recipe but I can scale it back to 1/2 cup of maple syrup.

Also, how does 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves at 5 minutes sound?

Old 08-29-2012, 01:09 AM   #8
igliashon
Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 40

1/4 tsp should be fine, considering you're adding 1 tsp of pumpkin pie spice to the recipe. I recommend using a priming sugar calculator, like the ones at Northern Brewer or TastyBrew. That's what I do, and I've been pretty satisfied with how my carbonation has come out on most batches.

Old 09-18-2012, 02:22 PM   #9
ChasidicCalvinist
Recipes 

So I have completely redone this recipe. I've removed the pumpkin and replaced them with oats soaked in maple syrup. I'm also dry-hopping .25 oz of Saaz. I will be brewing this on Friday.

Autumn Bourbon Ale

5lbs oats
4lbs rice syrup
5 cups light brown sugar (convert)
8oz molasses
6oz maltodextrine
1.5 oz hallertau
.5 oz Saaz
3 cinnamon sticks
2 ½ cups raisins
¼ tsp ground cloves
1/8 tsp all spice
1 tsp pumpkin pie spice

Directions

Coat oats in 1 cup maple syrup. Roast in oven until medium dark.

Steep oats at 149 for 40 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes.

Bring to boil.

Add rice syrup, molasses, maltodextrine.

1oz Hallertau at 60

Cinnamon sticks at 60

At 30 add .25oz Saaz hops

At 30 add raisins

At 5 minute add ¼ tsp of ground cloves

At 5 minute add 1/8 tsp all spice

At 1 minute add .5 oz hallertau

At zero minutes turn off heat and add sugar, stir to dissolve. Strain into primary and pitch yeast.

Once in primary add 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice, .25oz Saaz hops

Bottle with 2 cups bourbon and 1/2 cup brown sugar

Old 09-19-2012, 03:22 AM   #10
Cainepolo12
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Very interested to hear how this turns out. Sounds like a great cold weather brew!

Quick Reply