Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > Please help!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2013, 05:20 AM   #1
tigerface
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Please help!

This might be a hard question but I soon will attempt a grain/extract batch. Anyway, here is my question. I will be malting 5 lbs of Buckwheat. Yes I will be malting mashing using Amylase the whole bit. Plus 3 lbs of Sorghum and 2 lbs of Brs. How can I figure out the Buckwheat's alcohol contribution? Points I guess the term is. Any help would be much appreciated.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2013, 06:03 AM   #2
tommyguner03
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 87

check out beersmith you have a free trial for 30 days or so.. and you can go to www.hopville.com

god is great, beer is good and people are crazy....

Old 03-14-2013, 04:49 PM   #3
dorklord
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerface View Post
This might be a hard question but I soon will attempt a grain/extract batch. Anyway, here is my question. I will be malting 5 lbs of Buckwheat. Yes I will be malting mashing using Amylase the whole bit. Plus 3 lbs of Sorghum and 2 lbs of Brs. How can I figure out the Buckwheat's alcohol contribution? Points I guess the term is. Any help would be much appreciated.
In your case, you can use something like hopville or beersmith or whatever to figure out what the gravity would be from the Sorghum and BRS alone (I'm assuming you are using Sorghum Extract...)

So, lets say you are doing a 5 gallon batch. 3 lbs of Sorghum extract and 2 lbs of BRS, I'm getting 1.033 as the original gravity.

If you brew your batch, take a gravity reading, and you get 1.043, you'd know that you got .010 from the buckwheat malt.

Because of all the variables that are involved with your malting and your mashing process, we can't really predict what the PPG is going to be, so the only way you are going to be able to find out is by doing it.

You could, if you wanted, do a 'test' mash with a smaller amount of your malted buckwheat.

That's bread yeast. Look at it sitting there, all depressed. Listless. Beer yeast doesn't look like that. It has hopes. Dreams. Something to look forward to...

Old 03-15-2013, 07:02 PM   #4
Osedax
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 34 Posts

It is very hard to say. Everytime I work with buckwheat, I figure it a little under 20 ppg (that's what kasha is). You have so many factors that its hard to say. Google IBD journals and search buckwheat. Great articles on it. I think IBD is international brewers digest or something like that.

I would really like to see your results. Make sure you post them. :cheers:

My House IPA

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS