Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > Omission Beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2012, 03:40 AM   #11
sly333332003
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I picked up a six pack of the pale ale today and I'm not too impressed. It's not bad but I feel like I've made better GF beer. It tastes ok but it seems a little too hop heavy for me with not enough maltiness to it. I have kind of a grassy taste in my mouth after finishing off the sixth one. I haven't had a reaction but I am asymptomatic sometimes so I'm not sure if that's a great test.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2012, 02:27 PM   #12
casebrew
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I haven't made the time to cook up a batch of my oatmeal and sugar GF, so I stopped at the BevMart, and bought a sample pack each of Ommissions and Daura, all of the barley GFs they had. I realy didn't like the sorghum stuff, but thought it would be my only choice again.

I like them all better than any sorghum. I even malted my own sorghum once. Bleah.

Anyway, I/m not a hop-head. I can't wait for some micro to use that same system for GF, and do a Newcastle or Flat Ass Tired recipe. Some heavy dark sweet dinner beer.

Overall, though, I guess it's time to roast some malted oats and get with the homebrew GF. $10/6 is a bit steep for a AG homebrewer's wallet. But beats no beer at all.

So far, I've had more experience thinking than I've had brewing....you don't think they are mutually exclusive, do you?

72 batches so far,
48 wine, mostly Loquat, peach, plum, prickly pear
23 beers and ciders
1 sauerkraut
1 Tequila, from a prickly pear wine experiment that didn't work. I call it "Prickly Heat"

Old 09-09-2012, 12:49 AM   #13
major67986
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

If you are looking for a Belgian Amber (similar to Fat Tire), there is a new one called Brunehaut. It is imported from Belgium and is supposedly organic. They hired some organic chemist to come up with a process to remove/reduce, or how they described it - "separate", the gluten in a barley based beer. Not sure how widely available it is yet, but I have found it in several LBS in the Denver metro area. They also have a really good Blonde.

I have seen the lab tests done by independent 3rd party labs (have copies from the lab). There is the most commonly known Elisa R5 that tests to 5 ppm. This beer was below that amount. Then, there is some new test supposedly developed specifically for testing fermented beverages that can only test to 10 ppm. This beer also was below that amount.

I'm not affiliated with the brewer, importor or distributor, FYI.

Old 09-09-2012, 01:17 AM   #14
igliashon
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 40

The problem is that testing only for gluten doesn't work, because gluten breaks down into smaller proteins, like gliadin and hordein, which are just as triggering for many people. Any beer with a light malt bill and a long protein rest can come out technically gluten-free, but they're still not safe for many celiacs and people with intolerances, because there's still lots of hordein and/or gliadin hanging around. Tests that have been done on gluten-reduced beers show them to be just as high in hordein as non-treated beers. Some people are okay with hordein but not the full gluten molecule, but others are not, and if you don't know which you are, it's a gamble.

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS