Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > Omega Red Russian Imperial Stout

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2012, 02:34 PM   #11
igliashon
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 40

I should have an update on the agave beer later this week. My preliminary hydrometer sample last week was very interesting. It was tasty, but completely unlike any beer I've ever had (both glutenous and gluten-free).

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2012, 06:21 PM   #12
mloster
Recipes 

I brewed this exact on Aug 21 and pitched the yeast on the 22nd. The wort sample was as you described, mind-numbingly bitter. I have high hopes though. I ended up using dried rice extract so we'll see how that comes out. I didn't an OG reading since I no longer have a hydrometer. I'm glad I have a blow off tube because the krausen is crazy with this beer. Given I have almost filled my carboy with wort, the krausen is still impressive.

p1000568.jpg   p1000572.jpg   p1000584.jpg  

Old 09-14-2012, 03:14 AM   #13
thanantos
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

igliashon, any update on your beer? I have received a challenge from my LHBS to brew a GF Imperial Stout, but I would like to hear from you first before I do.

To be honest, I was surprised you didn't use oatmeal in your grain bill. Any reason you did not?

P.S. I have a pound of buckwheat honey sitting in the basement that might have a place in this recipe too?

Old 09-14-2012, 06:02 PM   #14
igliashon
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Well, I haven't been able to drink alcohol for a few weeks (and won't for a few more) because of some health issues. But when I last tasted it after a few weeks in the bottle, it's every bit as good as I suspected. Like most RIS's, it's a challenging beer; it's got a LOT of roasty and hoppy flavors, with a mild alcoholic warmth, and strong notes of fruity dark chocolate. It is absolutely the most convincing beer I've ever brewed, so much so that I actually entered it in a local homebrew contest (along with a few other beers that I do not expect to perform as well). Brew it, and don't change a thing. No honey, trust me--it doesn't need it. I left oats out because I wanted to see what I could do in a dark beer with other grains, but if you can't find black rice (NOT wild rice, which is also black!), you can sub oats (dark roasted, of course), probably to good effect.

Old 09-18-2012, 07:21 PM   #15
mloster
Recipes 

I second igliashon's taste notes. The bottling sample was great for any beer, gluten free or regular. I just finished bottling and the color is deep black as expected. The beer definitely could use some aging as the hops are bit intense and need to mellow out.

p1000591.jpg  

Old 10-04-2012, 11:13 PM   #16
Camnavo19
Recipes 

Just a quick couple of questions... Can someone who's made this go into a little bit more detail about the beets used? I assume they were fresh, not canned, right? And how long did you roast and at what temp? Then you just stuck them in a blender until they were pureed?

Old 10-05-2012, 12:52 AM   #17
igliashon
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

They were fresh, yes. I wouldn't touch canned veggies with a 10-foot clown pole, not here in the SF Bay Area! I roasted them at about 350°F, whole and unpeeled, until they were soft. I don't recall how long it took. Then I cubed them and ran 'em through a food processor, not a blender. You don't need it to be pureed, finely diced will do. They added a nice red color at first, which was later dominated by the darkness of the candi syrup. Kinda disappointing, I was hoping for a dark pink head!

I entered this, along with three other beers, in a regional homebrew contest; mine were the only GF entries and were not judged in a specialty category. Nevertheless, it scored highly with the judges, higher than any of my other beers, just shy of full marks from the several of them (BJCP-certified, at that!). No awards were given for second place or honorable mentions, but many commented that it "tasted like a beer" and was "better than any GF beer they'd ever tried". It is really quite a good beer.

Old 10-06-2012, 02:27 AM   #18
ChasidicCalvinist
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 22

That is good news Igliashon, hopefully it will encourage you to keep at it. Regarding the recipe and beets--now this is theoretical, I've never used beets in a beer--the dark candi syrups are made from beets. If you wanted more color from the beet, why not halve the dark candi syrup and make up for it with more beets? If it is an issue of maintaining fermentables you could always just add more sugar. I saw some beets at the farmer's market we shop at a few weeks ago, I almost bought some for this recipe. I now wish I had.

so whether you eat or drink, whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.

http://acts2815.wordpress.com

Old 11-13-2012, 02:31 AM   #19
mloster
Recipes 

Mmmm

image-1631969748.jpg

Quick Reply