Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > Old Sorghum Extract

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2011, 05:45 PM   #1
dorklord
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Old Sorghum Extract

So, I was in the basement looking for some stuff, and I stumbled upon a box. Inside this box, I found 2 3 lb jars of sorghum malt extract, some yeast, hops, rice syrup extract, orange peel...basically all the fixins for my GF Witless. It took a great deal of study, but at bought the sorghum in June 2010 at the absolute latest. No idea how 'fresh' it was when I bought it from ye olde LHBS.

I decided it would be a waste to throw these things away, so instead I made beer. I figured the extract might be a little darker than originally intended, so I decided to try a late-addition. I put the rice in right away, but didn't add the sorghum for another half-hour. When I was done, the wort looked like wort, and it tasted like wort. The yeast said it was good until Jan 2011. I pitched 2 packets (T-58), just in case. Also, I ended up sticking my hand in the wort, and some of the yeast stuck to my hand. I did this purely as an experiment, not because I dropped one of the yeast packages in the wort.

I don't know if anyone has used ~ 1 year old sorghum extract in a brew, but I'll let you know the results when it is done.

Oh, and the yeast is going nuts by the way. I brewed Wednesday night, and already yesterday morning the airlock was bubbling and I had to turn down the little heater in the 'Fermentation Room' in my basement. Last night, the airlock sounded like a fish tank bubbler, and I turned down the heat some more.

That's bread yeast. Look at it sitting there, all depressed. Listless. Beer yeast doesn't look like that. It has hopes. Dreams. Something to look forward to...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2011, 06:10 PM   #2
DKershner
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorklord View Post
Oh, and the yeast is going nuts by the way. I brewed Wednesday night, and already yesterday morning the airlock was bubbling and I had to turn down the little heater in the 'Fermentation Room' in my basement. Last night, the airlock sounded like a fish tank bubbler, and I turned down the heat some more.
This is because you massively overpitched, not a good thing to do if you actually want it to taste like a wit, but also certainly won't ruin the beer either. Dry yeast does not need to be refrigerated and lasts a very long time.

Old 02-11-2011, 06:13 PM   #3
rycov
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 6

why did you stick your hand in? experiment for what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsweet View Post
I would make a yeast starter, and pitch it into your mailbox.

Old 02-11-2011, 06:26 PM   #4
dorklord
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKershner View Post
This is because you massively overpitched, not a good thing to do if you actually want it to taste like a wit, but also certainly won't ruin the beer either. Dry yeast does not need to be refrigerated and lasts a very long time.
I figured that that yeast, from being older, wouldn't have quite the viability of fresh. Also, I lost a lot of the first packet of yeast. Quite a bit of it stuck to the spoon and my hand/arm.

That's bread yeast. Look at it sitting there, all depressed. Listless. Beer yeast doesn't look like that. It has hopes. Dreams. Something to look forward to...

Old 02-11-2011, 06:30 PM   #5
dorklord
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rycov View Post
why did you stick your hand in? experiment for what?
That was an attempt at humor. While dumping in the yeast, I dropped the whole packet into the wort. Since those packets have a paper label that is glued on, I didn't want to leave it in there...

I tried to scoop it out with my sanitized spoon, but had no luck, so I stuck my arm in the sanitizer, then reached in and grabbed it. It was actually floating just below the surface, out of sight of course, but I got it the first try and didn't have to stick my arm in much past my wrist.

Old 02-11-2011, 07:48 PM   #6
DKershner
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 21 Posts

Sarcasm works really well over the internet. <-- sarcasm

Old 02-11-2011, 08:22 PM   #7
dorklord
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKershner View Post
Sarcasm works really well over the internet. <-- sarcasm
I'm still having trouble with concepts like 'humor' and 'sarcasm'.

In the past I've tried using tags, like this:

[humor]
How many programmer does it take to change a lightbulb?

None, that's a hardware problem.
[/humor]

Old 02-11-2011, 09:28 PM   #8
KevinM
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I've been using some pretty old Sorghum that I know has been at the LHBS for over a year. In fact, until recently, that's *all* I've been using. Then they ran out (except for a few pounds of 60DE which I'll pick up anyways for experimentation). It's worked, at least halfway decently since I haven't had too much to compare to other than beer (bards, redbridge, new grist and Jolly Pumpkin Bellipago).

Old 02-13-2011, 10:09 PM   #9
dorklord
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
i've been using some pretty old sorghum that i know has been at the lhbs for over a year. In fact, until recently, that's *all* i've been using. Then they ran out (except for a few pounds of 60de which i'll pick up anyways for experimentation). It's worked, at least halfway decently since i haven't had too much to compare to other than beer (bards, redbridge, new grist and jolly pumpkin bellipago).
60 de?

Old 02-13-2011, 10:24 PM   #10
KevinM
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Yeah. Go figure. http://www.briess.com/food/Products/nswss.php I asked about it in my "no real topic/introduction thread" before, and I think it was said that it was less fermentable? I still can't get that right. All I know is that it's making a far darker beer with a lager yeast than one I did a few months ago, which I think I used 45HM on. It fermented pretty quickly and settled out, while the 100% BRS comparision took well over a month to finish fermenting, unless the 60DE merely stalled. Problem I have with the 1 gallon tests is trying to get enough liquid to do a hydro test, so I'll check it out probably in another week.

That reminds me that once I have money, I need to go buy up whatever's left so I can see what it actually does (kinda). The containers are caked in dust and they pretty much told me that it was pretty old.

Quick Reply