Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > Oats!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2012, 05:55 AM   #1
thanantos
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Oats!

Gentlebrewers,

I have purchased a two pound bag of quick oats from my local health food store and want to use them in my next brew.

However, I am VERY confused about the process itself. Am I mashing them with some sorghum syrup? Cook them first? Toast them first? Rice hulls?

HELP!!!!!

Here's what I bought:

Any help would be appreciated, and just so you know I have only ever made extract based beers. I have 0 experience in all grain.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2012, 06:07 AM   #2
Stout-n-Braggot
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Well, without some diastatic enzymes all these will add to your beer is a bunch of unfermentable starch. I wouldn't know what to tell you with regards to gluten free brewing, I don't know the diastatic power of the grains involved. If you can't use barley then your best bet might just be to eat the oats :P

good luck!

Old 10-18-2012, 03:04 PM   #3
igliashon
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Okay. Don't panic. Here's what you do to get the best results from steeping the oats.

First: preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
Second: thoroughly rinse the oats in some cold water. They will absorb it and swell a bit. Drain off any excess water and spread on a cookie sheet while still wet.
Third: spread oats on a cookie sheet...you may need two cookie sheets to do 2 pounds.
Fourth: bake in the oven at least until dry and aromatic; stir them every 10 minutes or so. It will take a while, maybe up to an hour. If you're making a darker beer, toast them until they darken to the desired level.
Fifth (optional, for dark roasted oats): place in a paper bag out of the way and let sit for at least a week before brewing. You are allowing the harsh burnt flavors to waft away, resulting in mellower flavor. Unnecessary if you only toasted them until dry.
Sixth: when ready to brew, steep the oats in hot water; temperature is irrelevant, you're not mashing them, they have no enzymes. Steep for 30 minutes to an hour, and strain out. I recommend using a large grain bag.
Seventh: add your extracts and proceed as normal. Do not expect to get anything fermentable out of the oats, regardless of whatever your brewing software tells you.
Eighth (optional): make bread with some of the "spent" oats!

Old 10-18-2012, 03:22 PM   #4
thanantos
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by igliashon View Post
Okay. Don't panic. Here's what you do to get the best results from steeping the oats.

First: preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
Second: thoroughly rinse the oats in some cold water. They will absorb it and swell a bit. Drain off any excess water and spread on a cookie sheet while still wet.
Third: spread oats on a cookie sheet...you may need two cookie sheets to do 2 pounds.
Fourth: bake in the oven at least until dry and aromatic; stir them every 10 minutes or so. It will take a while, maybe up to an hour. If you're making a darker beer, toast them until they darken to the desired level.
Fifth (optional, for dark roasted oats): place in a paper bag out of the way and let sit for at least a week before brewing. You are allowing the harsh burnt flavors to waft away, resulting in mellower flavor. Unnecessary if you only toasted them until dry.
Sixth: when ready to brew, steep the oats in hot water; temperature is irrelevant, you're not mashing them, they have no enzymes. Steep for 30 minutes to an hour, and strain out. I recommend using a large grain bag.
Seventh: add your extracts and proceed as normal. Do not expect to get anything fermentable out of the oats, regardless of whatever your brewing software tells you.
Eighth (optional): make bread with some of the "spent" oats!
Perfect! Thanks man!

BUT, since you brought it up....what if I DID want to get some fermentables from the oats? Is there an enzyme cocktail that would work? Mash with sprouted/malted sorghum?

Old 10-18-2012, 03:46 PM   #5
WoodlandBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Do you need to bake quick oats? I thought you can skip the cooking and the protein rest with these and just put them in with the mash?

The 2nd edition is now available: Brewing Engineering
Woodland Brewing Research Blog Applied Science for Better Beer.

Old 10-18-2012, 03:51 PM   #6
thanantos
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodlandBrew
Do you need to bake quick oats? I thought you can skip the cooking and the protein rest with these and just put them in with the mash?
No, baking/roasting is to alter the color and flavor I think.

Old 10-18-2012, 04:50 PM   #7
igliashon
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Yeah, the baking is for color and flavor. I actually usually don't recommend the use of quick oats for steeping in GF brewing, precisely because they are pre-gelatinized and thus their starches are so much more soluble. If you're not converting them, you DON'T want the starches to go into solution. Better to use rolled oats, steel-cut oats, or whole oats--much less trub, same flavor.

If you want to get fermentables out of oats, you'll need the stuff beljica's got...oats are extremely rich in proteins and beta-glucans, and my attempts to convert them with just amylase has been nightmarish--it's like sparging with a milkshake instead of water. You need beta-glucanase and protease or else it's not even worth the bother.

Old 10-19-2012, 12:18 AM   #8
beljica
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

The zymes also make it so you can fly sparge with out getting stuck. You should get a little cooler and make a tun igliashon!

Old 10-19-2012, 12:57 AM   #9
thanantos
Recipes 

Ah, the man himself. Glad you popped in here. I tried to PM you, but your PM box is full.

What enzymes do I need and where do I get them?

Old 10-19-2012, 03:52 PM   #10
beljica
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Promalt is what I use extracting sugars. The beta glucanase helps free up some starches and helps with filtration in the mash. It actually changes the consistency in the tun after a good ten fifteen minutes. Next time I brew I'll check into video taping it or something for youtube.

Quick Reply