Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > No Nonsense Stout

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2013, 03:46 AM   #71
igliashon
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 40

I don't know if there's any special trick to scaling up, but if you want to use 50/50 sorghum/BRS, a linear scaling would give:

2.5 lbs sorghum
2.5 lbs BRS
3.3 lbs D180
2.7 lbs quick oats

Your version is higher gravity, closer to 1.07 than the 1.06 of my original, but maybe that's what you want? If so, all I'd say is maybe do more like 2.5 lbs quick oats, with 1.5 lbs dark roasted and 1 lb light roasted.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 07:33 AM   #72
thanantos
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Thanks for the reply, but my recipe is based more on laziness than a linear scale. Sorghum is packaged in 3.3 lb tubs, BRS in 6 lb and I have 2lb of oatmeal on hand.

I'm OK with being a bit high on gravity if it saves me some time and hassle.

Old 01-16-2013, 06:42 PM   #73
salvar
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

@igliashon: I did your version of the recipe that split the sorghum with BRS. It's been about a month and the sorghum twang is amazingly pronounced. Does this mello with time?

I like the idea of a GF stout, the head was solid, body was good. Thanks for all your hard work on this recipe.

Primary: Imperial Stout, Apfelwine
Secondary: IPA
Bottled: Belgian Dark Strong
Kegged: Oatmeal Stout, SNPA Clone

Old 01-16-2013, 07:27 PM   #74
igliashon
Recipes 

Well, the point of this recipe as I originally mentioned (IIRC) is that I recall Guinness having a distinct metallic/sour twang to it, probably from the addition of the soured beer and/or maybe their unusual brewing water. So I figured a stout made with sorghum would achieve a similar twang, and indeed it does. Question: did you brew this from the old recipe that was on here, or the corrected one/the one from my blog? As mentioned before, the recipe I initially posted here was lower gravity than what I ended up brewing, and I've found it to be the case that pretty much any GF beer below 6% has a more pronounced acid bite/twang, even if it's pure rice syrup with no sorghum at all...so if you brewed the old version, I'm afraid that there's not much hope.

Old 01-16-2013, 11:15 PM   #75
salvar
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I brewed the recipe on the site. I didn't know you had a different version on your blog. Speaking of which where can I find your blog (doesn't seem to be in your profile)?

I do remember you mentioning that the recipe had a sour twang that complimented the style well. It certainly isn't terrible by any stretch (my GF SWMBO drank it without complaint - she isn't as fussy as I am). It's just not quite what I was anticipating. Hence, I thought I might have messed something up.

So even pure rice syrup has that same twang below 6%? Ouch. I was really hoping I could just up the rice syrup portion and resolve the issue.

Old 01-17-2013, 01:01 AM   #76
igliashon
Recipes 

Yeah, I posted a recipe here, then tweaked it before I brewed it, and forgot to post the update (I fixed it recently, though, after I realized the mistake; check the first post again for the update). I'm super-pissed at myself because quite a few people have brewed the wrong recipe and been unhappy with it. Believe it or not, the recipe I actually brewed has more sorghum, and is about 6% ABV; it's still a bit thin-bodied for a stout, but I've yet to have a regular beer-drinker complain about the twang (even the ones that have complained about a twang in my other beers).

But yeah, I think the twang might have something to do with a lack of either dextrins or proteins in the rice and sorghum syrups; my GF beers seem to regularly attenuate over 80%, regardless of the yeast, unless they are of a higher gravity. Also, unless other additions are made, GF beers that use only rice and sorghum typically have abysmal head retention. Some people have reported a reduction in twang by adding FAN (usually DAP) to their brews. I find that keeping the gravity around 6% or higher, and adding some combination of raw honey, maltodextrin, and a protein-rich grain like quinoa, amaranth, or millet, helps to eliminate the twang.

I did brew a really tasty low-gravity cream ale with steeped banana and sweet potato (as well as steeped corn and wild rice), I'm not sure I could replicate it though because it was in the early days of my brewing and my process was very chaotic. Steeping banana and sweet potato would probably do a lot to help the body and reduce the twang, too.

My blog is beyondbarley.blogspot.com; guess I should put it in my sig!

Old 01-17-2013, 01:23 AM   #77
salvar
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for that info. I am looking forward to brewing the right recipe.

Don't get too mad at yourself. This is like the Wild West of brewing. You never know what you will get exactly. Its a lot of fun.

Old 01-17-2013, 02:30 PM   #78
max42
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by igliashon View Post
Yeah, I posted a recipe here, then tweaked it before I brewed it, and forgot to post the update (I fixed it recently, though, after I realized the mistake; check the first post again for the update). I'm super-pissed at myself because quite a few people have brewed the wrong recipe and been unhappy with it. Believe it or not, the recipe I actually brewed has more sorghum, and is about 6% ABV; it's still a bit thin-bodied for a stout, but I've yet to have a regular beer-drinker complain about the twang (even the ones that have complained about a twang in my other beers).
Quick question. I noticed the revised post recipe states:
1 lb toasted GF instant oats (approx. 25° Lovibond, or about the color of a chocolate brownie) (steeping pre-boil)

Your Blogspot states:
1 lb Home-Toasted Gluten-Free Quick Oats (from Bob's Red Mill), steeped at 150°F for 30 min, then removed

The Recipe submitted to GFHB states:
1 lb Toasted GF Oats (steep at 160 – 180 degrees for 1 hour, stir regularly)

Can you clarify the steeping temp?

thanks and really enjoyed the Blog!

Old 01-17-2013, 05:35 PM   #79
igliashon
Recipes 

Man, I really gotta keep better notes. At this point I'm not 100% sure what I actually did, but generally when steeping grains these days I go with 30 minutes at ≤150°F, as I'm trying not to gelatinize the starches. That said, an hour at sub-boiling temperature is probably closer to what I would have done in the early days, before I knew much about the chemistry involved. I may have just thrown the oats in the kettle as the water was heating, and then pulled them out close to boiling.

Old 01-17-2013, 06:04 PM   #80
max42
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'm thinking about brewing this, hopefully it's close to the Deschuttes Obsidian stout. Their Black Butte Porter and stout are definite favorites.
So if you were to make it today what would you do?

Quick Reply