Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > No Nonsense Stout

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2012, 04:41 PM   #31
igliashon
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by frothdaddy View Post
What temperature/time did you use to roast the oats? Does a longer time at a lower heat vs. a shorter time at a higher heat make a difference when roasting oats?
I went by color moreso than time; I roasted at about 350 for maybe two hours? But I started with wet oats, so they had to dry and then brown. But basically I roasted them until they were the color of milk chocolate. I don't know if long-and-low makes a difference vs. short-and-high, but since I'm not trying to protect any enzymes, I went for the shorter time. I also only let them waft for a week.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2012, 04:42 PM   #32
igliashon
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasidicCalvinist View Post
Do you have a finalized recipe for this after post-brew and bottle conditioning or would you stick with it as is?
I dunno; it's REALLY good, so it's hard to say what could be improved on. Maybe do 50/50 rice/sorghum? IDK, I'm brewing another stout tomorrow using no sorghum, so we'll see how that one comes out.

Old 06-16-2012, 04:29 PM   #33
robbyhicks
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by igliashon

I went by color moreso than time; I roasted at about 350 for maybe two hours? But I started with wet oats, so they had to dry and then brown. .... I also only let them waft for a week.
Two questions, i have never toasted/roasted before... How do you prep the oats to roast wet? Second, what do you mean by waft for a week?

Old 06-16-2012, 04:40 PM   #34
igliashon
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbyhicks View Post
Two questions, i have never toasted/roasted before... How do you prep the oats to roast wet? Second, what do you mean by waft for a week?
Ah, it's exactly what it sounds like. Pour the oats in a big mixing bowl--make sure there's room for the oats to swell, or they'll overflow as they absorb water--and pour enough water over them just to cover. You can use warm or cold water, it doesn't really matter, but warm water absorbs faster. Then you let them sit for a while, until the oats absorb as much water as they can. Pour off any remaining excess, then spread the oats on a baking sheet (or two, depending on how much you're toasting).

Once you've toasted the grains, it's good to put them in a paper bag (or a bowl covered with a towel) and let them sit for a few weeks, as this is supposed to allow harsh/sharp flavors to "waft away", leading to mellower and "less burnt" flavor in the final beer. At least, this is what I've been told; I didn't always do it that way and I'm not sure doing it longer than a week really makes a significant difference.

Also, FWIW I might recommend using more grains than I did. 2 lbs per 3 gallons gave me just a little bit of flavor, I'd up it to at least 1 lb per gallon, if not more, if you really want the flavor to come through.

Old 06-17-2012, 06:25 AM   #35
oneillkza
Recipes 

Heh -- I actually dry toasted my oats. I'll try wet toasting next time. I imagine it gets more Maillard reactions going. They're sitting in a paper bag until I get back from a trip in two weeks and can brew again.

When I toasted them, they smelled quite strongly. I didn't mind the smell too much, but my wife said it was like burned cabbage, and it lingered in the kitchen for a few days. So be warned. (They smelled fine after a week in the bag.)

Also, I think I read somewhere that too much oats (more than about 25% of total grains?) can cause astringency in the beer. And apparently something like 8% is more common.

I'm thinking about toasting different grains for grain+extract brews. I've heard good things about millet and quinoa.

Old 06-17-2012, 02:15 PM   #36
thanantos
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Thanks for the instructions igliashon. I was going to ask the same question.

Old 08-08-2012, 12:24 AM   #37
BrakeleyBrewing
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by igliashon View Post
I dunno; it's REALLY good, so it's hard to say what could be improved on. Maybe do 50/50 rice/sorghum? IDK, I'm brewing another stout tomorrow using no sorghum, so we'll see how that one comes out.
How did the stout without sorghum come out? I have a friend asking me to make a gluten free stout, and I'm currently putting together a recipe. I was planning on going pretty heavy with roasted oats.

Old 08-08-2012, 05:19 PM   #38
igliashon
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

It was a Russian Imperial Stout, so I haven't bottled it yet...probably will this week, though! I used 4 lbs of roasted grains (2 lbs buckwheat, 2 lbs purple rice, both roasted quite dark) and some beets, as well as 2 lbs of D90 Candi syrup and some rice solids. I think using the rice syrup is better, but I'm not sure how I feel about this beer yet. I hopped the crap out of it with Willamette and I'm not sure if that was the best choice...bitterness is kind of rough right now.

My suggestion, based on these two experiences, is that rice syrup plus dark candi syrup (maybe half D-90 and half D-180), a hint of molasses, maltodextrin, and some roasted steeping grains (at least 1 lb per gallon of wort) can make a very decent stout, more stylistically-convincing than most lighter gluten-free beers in fact! Make sure to use a British yeast, like S-33 or Windsor. Oats, purple rice, and buckwheat all toast very well. Oven-roasted beets are also not a bad addition at all.

Old 08-13-2012, 03:54 AM   #39
gailenjensen
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 1 Posts

I see you posted about the GF stout in April. How did it turn out? My daughter has a gluten allergy and I would still like to make a Guinness type for her.

Old 08-13-2012, 03:40 PM   #40
igliashon
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gailenjensen View Post
I see you posted about the GF stout in April. How did it turn out? My daughter has a gluten allergy and I would still like to make a Guinness type for her.
LOL, did you read the thread, mate? I think you may have missed something!

Quick Reply