Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > No Nonsense Stout

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2012, 10:39 PM   #11
igliashon
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 40

I brew for myself, though I try to make beers that other people will enjoy (or at least find interesting) as well.

Out of curiousity, those of you who've brewed with lots of candi syrup and found it objectionable, how much did you use in how many gallons of wort, what didn't you like about it, and what level of darkness did you use? Did you include any other spurious ingredients that may have contributed to off-flavors? So far I've used 1 lb of d-180 plus 1 lb of d-45 in a porter recipe that would have been great if I hadn't overdone the licorice root, so I figured two pounds of d-180 might get me into stout territory, especially with some chocolate-roasted oats. It seems like a worthwhile experiment, but if others have taken similar approaches, I don't want to repeat anyone else's mistake.

Dorklord, did you make a thread on that stout recipe? I'd like to know more about your results and any other mods you might want to make.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2012, 02:23 AM   #12
dorklord
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by igliashon View Post
I brew for myself, though I try to make beers that other people will enjoy (or at least find interesting) as well.

Out of curiousity, those of you who've brewed with lots of candi syrup and found it objectionable, how much did you use in how many gallons of wort, what didn't you like about it, and what level of darkness did you use? Did you include any other spurious ingredients that may have contributed to off-flavors? So far I've used 1 lb of d-180 plus 1 lb of d-45 in a porter recipe that would have been great if I hadn't overdone the licorice root, so I figured two pounds of d-180 might get me into stout territory, especially with some chocolate-roasted oats. It seems like a worthwhile experiment, but if others have taken similar approaches, I don't want to repeat anyone else's mistake.

Dorklord, did you make a thread on that stout recipe? I'd like to know more about your results and any other mods you might want to make.
I'm sure I've posted the recipe, but I don't think I made a thread specifically about it. I've actually had several really good batches in a row (though now my 2 latest batches, an ESB and a mock-lager, are extremely cloudy), that I've been meaning to post up about.

Stout:
Steeped 1 lb of lightly roasted rolled oats.
3 lbs sorghum extract
1 lb cooked honey (black)
2 lbs cooked sugar (burnt).
4 oz maltodextrin
1 oz Fuggles
4 gallon boil, outside with turkey fryer.
pitched S-04 around 80F

At bottling time, when we figured we only had a 6 pack or so left, we dumped in 1 cup of coffee.

I'm not a big stout drinker myself, but my friend liked it, if we wanted it more of a roasted, stout flavor, I'd say to cook the honey a little more (or just use more burnt sugar), and perhaps add coffee to the whole batch. Also, cooking the oats to a darker roast would help as well.

That's bread yeast. Look at it sitting there, all depressed. Listless. Beer yeast doesn't look like that. It has hopes. Dreams. Something to look forward to...

Old 04-28-2012, 11:53 AM   #13
ChasidicCalvinist
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 22

dorklord...I'm curious about your burnt honey. I brew mead as well and currently on the mead forum brochets (burnt honey) are very popular. They say they taste like caramel and smell like roasted marshmellows. I had been toying with the idea of making a mock brochet (no yeast) and adding that into a beer to give it more color and complex flavors. But I'm not sure how to go about doing it.

After you burn your honey do you add water to it to reconstitute it as a liquid or is it still in a form that you can pour it into the beer? Do you burn the honey and then brew the beer immediately or do you have burned honey stored up? What kind of flavors do you find it imparts to the beer?

so whether you eat or drink, whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.

http://acts2815.wordpress.com

Old 04-28-2012, 12:03 PM   #14
wolves63
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasidicCalvinist View Post
dorklord...I'm curious about your burnt honey. I brew mead as well and currently on the mead forum brochets (burnt honey) are very popular. They say they taste like caramel and smell like roasted marshmellows. I had been toying with the idea of making a mock brochet (no yeast) and adding that into a beer to give it more color and complex flavors. But I'm not sure how to go about doing it.

After you burn your honey do you add water to it to reconstitute it as a liquid or is it still in a form that you can pour it into the beer? Do you burn the honey and then brew the beer immediately or do you have burned honey stored up? What kind of flavors do you find it imparts to the beer?
I am very interested in about this as well.

Old 04-28-2012, 01:00 PM   #15
dorklord
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Well, my goal with the honey and the candi syrup was just to make something like a home-made dark candi syrup. I think I diluted the honey with a bit of water before heating it, and I cooked it on the stove until it was black. It didn't smell particularly burnt, and it tasted strongly of caramel.

In the past, I've used home-made candi syrup immediately and I've let it cool, poured it into a container and tossed it in the freezer. Since I'm adding water to it while cooking it (to keep it below soft crack), adding just a bit of water at the end keeps it syrupy, and it doesn't quite freeze in the freezer.

I usually make this stuff up a day or two ahead of time.

Anyway, I'm not really sure what the difference in flavor between using honey that has been cooked that much and using similarly cooked sugar is, but the flavor of this stout was on the line between a roasty, caramel flavor and the sort of burnt-toast flavor.

That's bread yeast. Look at it sitting there, all depressed. Listless. Beer yeast doesn't look like that. It has hopes. Dreams. Something to look forward to...

Old 05-04-2012, 03:43 AM   #16
igliashon
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Welp, I brewed this up today, with only slight modifications: 3 lbs of sorghum syrup instead of two, 90-minute boil instead of 60 (for some extra hoppiness) and 0.3 oz columbus instead of 0.25 at 20 min. I steeped the oats for a long time, added them when to the full 3 gallons when the water was cold and slowly raised the temp to around 150-160°F, then held for about 45 minutes. The result was a dark red liquor that smelled of burnt toast. It's still chilling as I type this. Should be about 50 IBU's and about 6% ABV. Keeping my fingers crossed!

Old 05-11-2012, 02:52 AM   #17
igliashon
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Took a hydrometer reading today. Needs another couple weeks to hit target FG, but taste is good so far! Very chocolately, kinda reminds me a little of a Young's Double Chocolate Stout, but is maybe a touch too acidic. I think this is the closest thing to a stout I've had in YEARS, and I can't wait until it's finished!

Old 05-24-2012, 07:11 AM   #18
oneillkza
Recipes 

How did this come out at bottling? I'm thinking of trying something similar for my second batch...

Is it still a bit acidic? I've seen some people talking about balancing the acidity of sorghum with a bit of lime (CaCO3), presumably post boil so as not to interfere with hop isomerisation...

Old 05-24-2012, 06:48 PM   #19
igliashon
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Bottling today. Hit target gravity last week, and taste was improving. I might want to invest in a pH meter and do some adjustments in the future, that's a great idea.

Old 05-25-2012, 12:46 AM   #20
thanantos
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I'm digging this recipe and excited to hear how it turns out. Especially because I had a Sam Adams Baltic IPA tonight that was FANTASTIC!

I'd love to make a good GF stout and hop the crap out of it.

Quick Reply