Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > No Nonsense Stout

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2013, 03:03 PM   #121
robbyhicks
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

So the wife tried a small sip the other day and gave me the go ahead on thinking about making some more... its still got a bit of the metallic twang to it that sorghum beers seem to have, but it is def getting better with age... swmbo will not be able to drink it til november so it has plenty of time to do just that...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2013, 02:53 PM   #122
BBBF
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbskier View Post
any thoughts on how to transform this recipe into
More of a milk/sweet stout?
I made this into a milk stout. I actually forgot the original recipe wasn't one. I used 1/2 lb of lactose in a 3 gal batch.

Old 06-04-2013, 03:48 AM   #123
igliashon
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 40

How did it turn out? Lately I've been thinking about various ways to modify this recipe to get different types of stouts. I think it would make a great chocolate stout, but I wonder about the milk stout thing...it's already kind of sweet as far as stouts go.

Old 06-04-2013, 06:57 PM   #124
BBBF
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 21

It was good. It was pretty sweet, but no more than comercial, non-GF, milk stouts that I have had. I couldn't drink 2 in one sitting, but I feel that way about all milk stouts. It was awesome with a little ice cream.

Old 06-25-2013, 05:42 AM   #125
MoxieStarfire
Recipes 

Default Yum!

Yum!! Thank you so much for this recipe! I just tried my first carbonated bottle and it is divine!

I love really dark and malty beers so much but at the beginning of this year I suddenly developed a gluten intolerance and was really bummed that there aren't many GF dark and strong beers out there to enjoy (though I am lucky to live in Washington and have been enjoying Harvester's dubbel). Anyway, I am just now beginning to get my head above the water in the department of not feeling like crap all the time (yay!) and I realized that if I wanted the kind of beer I like I would have to make it myself. I have done some barley based homebrewing in the past, but this was my first GF recipe and I love it!

I added my favorite stout coffee with the dextrose at bottling and it was just the right amount to taste it while still being subtle. I am not sure if I will call this a stout, though, because it definitely ended up with a little bit of the fruitier Belgian flavors, but that is cool because the flavor profile is awesome whatever you call it. My next batch will be this same recipe with bourbon and vanilla added.

Thank you so much! We are having a couple of friends contribute homebrews to our wedding next month and I was sad I wouldn't be able to try any of them, but now I feel totally rad contributing my own that is actually worth drinking.

Old 06-25-2013, 06:41 AM   #126
igliashon
Recipes 

Awesome! Glad you liked it! It is pretty sweet and fruity for a stout, I reckon switching the yeast to US-05 or Notty would tame it a bit, but the candi syrup definitely tends to push things in a fruity direction. You could just as easily throw some T-58 at it and make it a dubbel. I've been working toward some stout recipes that don't use candi syrup, but having trouble getting sufficient color out of my home-roasted grains. Going to try some Trail's End Chestnut "Coffee" in the next one and see how that does it.

Old 06-25-2013, 05:08 PM   #127
MoxieStarfire
Recipes 

Oooh! Would you just steep the chestnut to get a flavory and dark liquid to add and then only use sorghum to ferment? That sounds good too, I'm curious how it works out.

I actually prefer beers with some of those figgy type flavors, so I was REALLY excited to find this recipe as a base for future experiments, but if I want to do a drier stout at some point I will try some of your mods. My ultimate goal is to make something in the flavor family with Monk's Blood and I also wouldn't mind something reminiscent of Oatis, though at this point I can't remember exactly what it tastes like, for better or worse.

Old 06-25-2013, 11:32 PM   #128
robbyhicks
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I don't get much fruity/sweet flavor... mostly the candi and sorghum twang... I did half the sorghum and half the candi at begining and half at end plus used notty... I'm curious how some tapica syrup in place of the sorghum would do...

Old 06-26-2013, 03:02 AM   #129
igliashon
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoxieStarfire View Post
Oooh! Would you just steep the chestnut to get a flavory and dark liquid to add and then only use sorghum to ferment? That sounds good too, I'm curious how it works out.

I actually prefer beers with some of those figgy type flavors, so I was REALLY excited to find this recipe as a base for future experiments, but if I want to do a drier stout at some point I will try some of your mods. My ultimate goal is to make something in the flavor family with Monk's Blood and I also wouldn't mind something reminiscent of Oatis, though at this point I can't remember exactly what it tastes like, for better or worse.
My idea is to do a cold infusion overnight of the chestnut coffee, then filter and add to the mash at saccharification (just in case there's any starch that got solubilized). Either that or add the powder straight to the mash after doing the cereal mash. I just have no real idea how much to add or how much color and flavor to expect. I will probably add some CaCO3 to the mash if doing the latter to counter the acidity--I've tried Harvester's Dark ale, which uses chestnuts roasted to a similar consistency, and found it to be down-right tart from the acidity, so I reckon it must be the dark roast causing it. It's going into a totally new recipe, though; I rarely do extract beers anymore, so I'm trying to find a good stout recipe that doesn't use any extracts, sugars, or syrups.

Old 06-26-2013, 12:32 PM   #130
BroncoJoe
Recipes 

Default Soaking the Oats Before Roasting???

I was reading through the thread and trying to do the recipe. The part about the oats has me confused...

Bought the GF Instant Oats, then put them in water before putting in the oven to roast. They turned into mostly a mess, like oatmeal. Should I have just roasted the instant version without soaking first, and only soaked the rolled oats that were not instant (if I got that kind)? There was a couple of comments about how to roast the oats and I'm just wondering if I did this part right.

Quick Reply