Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > No Nonsense Stout

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2013, 12:27 PM   #111
dorklord
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Fermentation activity, or airlock activity?

That's bread yeast. Look at it sitting there, all depressed. Listless. Beer yeast doesn't look like that. It has hopes. Dreams. Something to look forward to...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2013, 12:59 PM   #112
Safa
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I still have airlock activity myself. Haven't taken a hydrometer reading, I usually just give brews three weeks and dispense with the intermittent checks

Edit: so I stopped being lazy and took a hydro. Apparently the airlock activity was dissolved CO2. It's sitting at 1.012 right now which according to iBrewmaster is where it should be. It tastes absolutely fantastic. Way way better than I was even secretly hoping for.

I'm cold crashing it overnight and will be bottling tomorrow. I'll post back with SWMBO tasting results.

A little irreverence is good for the soul

Old 03-26-2013, 06:12 AM   #113
dinosaur
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

When you say you do a 3 gallon batch, what is your initial boil volume? Do you top off to 3 gallons? Based on trub, loss from hops, etc, is your final bottling volume around 2.5 gallons?

Old 03-26-2013, 04:44 PM   #114
igliashon
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 40

3 gallons is what ends up in the fermenter, give or take. I usually start with about 3.75 gallons of wort, maybe 4 if I'm doing a longer boil, and maybe more depending on how much hot break and hop matter I expect to end up with after the boil. For extract batches, there's usually very little trub, so 3.75 gallons is usually about what I start with. After fermentation, I usually expect to lose about a half-gallon to trub, so I typically end up bottling 2.5 gallons. My all-grain beers tend to finish with a ton of trub, and losses up to a gallon are not uncommon.

Old 03-28-2013, 08:14 PM   #115
Mogie
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I found the negative reviews surprising! I brewed igliashon's recipe with a few relatively minor tweaks and came out with very good results. It does not taste like a non-GF beer obviously, but it definitely tastes A LOT better than most of the commercial GF beers out there. Plus its a stout...havent found one commercially made yet!

Here is how my final recipe differed from igliashon's original recipe, and what I will change in batch 2. Yes I will definitely make this again for my wife who is GF and enjoys this beer.

-Added 1/2 lb of home sprouted, roasted and malted buckwheat
-Added 1/4 lb of toasted & malted millet
-I only steeped the grains for 45 min (next time I will do full 60 min for more flavor)
-I added the 3 lb sorghum at the same time as the 180 Dark Candy, then brought to a boil. This was by accident...not sure how this affects flavor...any ideas?
-Added 1 Tablespoon cocoa powder to boil (MISTAKE the chocolate flavor fermented out with the CO2 and left too much bitterness. Next time I will had some melted bakers chocolate mixed wtih wort into the primary fermenter...if at all)
-THE BEST thing I did was added 16 oz of strong Cold Pressed coffee to secondary 24 hours before bottling. I definitely recommend this if you like Java stouts, or coffee flavors in your beer. It adds a strong pleasant coffee nose, and flavor to the beer. Cold pressed coffee should not add biterness. Definitely going to repeat, with maybe a little stronger coffee to add just a bit more flavor
-Next time I would cut down on the amount of bittering hops, there is a strong bitter flavor a bit too bitter. (Does this have anything to do with my mistake of adding sorghum too soon?)
-I would boil for only 60 min.
-Focus the hop editions on 5 min or flame out.
-Oh, I also added Maltodextrin for body. Not sure how much this helped.
-Next time I want to add Lactose to add body, creaminess, some sweatness.
-Finally, it was in the fermenters for a total of 4 weeks. Bottle condishioned 2 weeks. Definitely mellowed out the bittereness a bit after 4-6 weeks. But the coffee remains!

I hope this helps! Let me know what you think!

Old 03-28-2013, 09:45 PM   #116
Cainepolo12
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Adding your sorghum at flame out really does help a lot. I find that the maltodextrin really makes a difference as well. However, less so when I use a d90 or d180. Anyone else experience this? It coul be tied to a lot of things but that is my consistent factor. Did you like the flavor of the malted buckwheat? Would you call it bitter or sour? I'm thinking of doing a raspberry sour saison with roasted malted buckwheat so I'm curious about that flavor if you could pinpoint it.

Old 04-02-2013, 12:10 PM   #117
EvanLouis
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I just roasted 2lbs of buckwheat this weekend. It has a strong nutty aroma to it. I tried sprouting millet but gave up on that after @ days and just roasted it. Smells like fresh baked bread. The quinoa I malted sprouted in a day, it was amazing.

Old 04-07-2013, 02:37 PM   #118
Safa
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Just popped one yesterday for the swmbo to try and she was very impressed!

Not quite carbonated yet, but its only been 2 weeks so no big deal

A little irreverence is good for the soul

Old 04-08-2013, 02:53 AM   #119
mtbskier
Recipes 

any thoughts on how to transform this recipe into
More of a milk/sweet stout?

Old 04-08-2013, 03:08 AM   #120
dorklord
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbskier View Post
any thoughts on how to transform this recipe into
More of a milk/sweet stout?
Add more (aka any) lactose?

I'm not sure off the top of my head but I think a pound is the norm for a five gallon batch?

That's bread yeast. Look at it sitting there, all depressed. Listless. Beer yeast doesn't look like that. It has hopes. Dreams. Something to look forward to...

Quick Reply