New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > No Nonsense Stout

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2013, 03:12 PM   #91
robbyhicks
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Which one are you using? I've got 1lb of the d180 from candisyrup.com and 1lb of the 160srm d2 from the same place...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2013, 03:37 PM   #92
igliashon
Gluten-Freek
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 40

I use D-180, but I've never tried D2; from what I've been able to read about it, it should be about the same.

Old 02-19-2013, 01:36 PM   #93
robbyhicks
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Other than the d2 saying srm160 and being in a jar instead of a bag they look identical, I actually thought they were different companies when I picked the second up...

Old 02-19-2013, 02:37 PM   #94
dorklord
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I think I remember reading somewhere that D2 is made using a slightly different process than the other syrups, so it is supposed to have a lot of deep, rich flavor without being 'burnt'.

That's bread yeast. Look at it sitting there, all depressed. Listless. Beer yeast doesn't look like that. It has hopes. Dreams. Something to look forward to...

Old 02-21-2013, 10:11 PM   #95
robbyhicks
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

So after my burner wouldn't light I ended up doing this on the stove, started with 4gal water, boiled down to 2.5ish, o.g. was like 1.096 before topping off and 1.064 after... Made some other changes ill share with review down the road...

forumrunner_20130221_160631.jpg

Old 02-24-2013, 12:51 AM   #96
scaesare
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by acswarts View Post
Question are you guys rehydrating the yeast or pitching dry into the Wort? Also Candi Syrup question. What are intervals for adding? I guess do one at the beginning and the other half way in?
I also rehydrated the yeast... aboout 2 hrs prior to pitching, and with a little yeast nutrient and some DME to get it rolling.. leave it in a warm place and it's good and frothy by the time I pitch it...

-sc

Old 02-24-2013, 01:04 AM   #97
scaesare
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scaesare View Post
Cool, thanks.. I'll aim for the 1.5lbs with the split roasting darkness you mentioned... and maybe I'll try a little DAP just for good measure.

When I do it again, I'll take notes a gain and report back for the benefit of the group.

Appreciate your reponses... oh, and I has born and raised in Hayward.

-sc
OK... checking back in to this thread, now that I just kegged the batch I brewed with the updated recipe two weeks ago.

Notes:

1) I used 1.5 lbs of oats. One lb dark roasted, and 0.5 lbs medium roasted. I also wet-roasted them this time, and let them dry/air for almost 3 weeks.

2) I used 3lbs of sorghum, rather than 2

3) I used the same 2 packets of D-180 candi syrup as the first time

4) I did a 90 minute boil

5) I did slightly more than 4oz. of maltodextrin... maybe 4.5 - 5.0 oz.

6) I let ferment for 2 weeks

Comments:

I think this batch is superior to the last one by a good measure. The metallic taste is far more subdued. The batch is a bit sweeter, but that may be the trade off in reducing teh metalinc twang. The ABV is higher than I expected at 10.3%. The body is good, and the color is rich and dark.

My wife (for whom the gluten-free effort is for) thinks it's quite good... if a little sweeter than what she might normally drink. After getting her to taste it, she handed the glass back to me and said "I'll take a full one, please."

In the future, I might consider a dry hop... just to perhaps counteract the sweetness a bit. But this is definitely homing in on a very nice gluten-free alternative to barley-based beer. (Any suggestions on a hop variety for this appreciated).

Thanks again Igliashon for the recipe(s) and the work.

Enjoy!

-sc

Old 02-24-2013, 03:46 AM   #98
igliashon
Gluten-Freek
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Awesome, glad it came out better this time! I was starting to worry that my results had been a fluke. 10.3%, though? What were your gravities? I can't imagine how it could get such a high ABV without finishing bone-dry (which, since you describe it as sweet, clearly didn't happen). Are you sure you measured the gravities correctly?

I do agree that this beer could stand up to more aggressive hopping; next time I brew it, I will probably dry-hop it with Columbus or Chinook. I'm also considering cutting the candi syrup back to 1 lb, and doing a mini-mash with 1 lb of roasted chestnuts, 1 lb of lightly-roasted oats, and 8 oz of black-toasted buckwheat, and then adding maybe a full 10 oz of maltodextrin to really beef up the body. As much as I like this recipe, I'd like for it to be a little more dry with a more prominent roast character. But I don't anticipate giving it another shot until the fall...I plan to spend the spring and summer triangulating a recipe for my perfect IPA, and experimenting with some liquid yeasts for some funkier farmhouse styles.

Old 02-24-2013, 09:07 AM   #99
Safa
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by scaesare

I also rehydrated the yeast... aboout 2 hrs prior to pitching, and with a little yeast nutrient and some DME to get it rolling.. leave it in a warm place and it's good and frothy by the time I pitch it...

-sc
DME? As is dry malt extract? Hope your wife doesn't get sick!

Just toasted another batch of oats as my D180 has come in. Just need to pick up some more yeast and I'll be brewing it next weekend.

The batch I did with the candi sugar still smells quite a lot like beer which is encouraging!

A little irreverence is good for the soul

Old 02-24-2013, 12:17 PM   #100
scaesare
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safa View Post
DME? As is dry malt extract? Hope your wife doesn't get sick!

Just toasted another batch of oats as my D180 has come in. Just need to pick up some more yeast and I'll be brewing it next weekend.

The batch I did with the candi sugar still smells quite a lot like beer which is encouraging!
Ooof... I didn't even think of that... thanks for the heads up...

Fortunately the reaction she has is milder than others with the allergy... but I'll be careful with this.

Thanks.

-sc

Quick Reply