Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > New to homebrew

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2010, 03:42 AM   #1
wolves63
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default New to homebrew

I am new to home-brew and I looking around for a great GF recipe. I found out about a year ago that I was gluten intolerance and was very upset I could no longer drink beer. Since then I have found several commercial gluten free beers, but none that I have found extremely enjoyable. What I am looking for is a really good GF recipe for a pale lager or pilsner. The reason I am going fora lighter beer is mainly because of the ability to drink with almost anything and isn't too heavy. Any recipe suggestions would be much appreciated.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2010, 03:34 PM   #2
Lcasanova
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 4

First, welcome to the obsession, I hope you know what you've gotten yourself into!

Second, this beer was fantastic when I tried it. It has some age on it though...

I have a brown ale in my dropdown or if you look through the gluten free brewing thread you will find the brew day pics and some other stuff for the American Brown Ale. It was my first brew and it is one of the better ones that I've made. Later today I'll post my double IPA.

Search around on the threads and I'm sure you'll find what you are looking for but I might recommend you start with ales...just my 2 cents.

Old 05-17-2010, 03:52 PM   #3
dorklord
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Welcome! I'm a couple months ahead of you on this journey, although for me getting diagnosed occurred the Monday after I bought my home brewing equipment

lcasanova's recommendations for recipes are great. If you can't find a GF recipe that fits the style you want, you could try finding an extract recipe and substituting a mix of sorghum and rice for the malt in the recipe. If you are trying to make something light in body, maybe something like 3 or 4 lbs of sorghum to 1 lb of rice (the GF Wit that I've nearly finished off now was about 6:1, plus 1 lb of sugar, and I'm thinking that next time around, I'll do 5:1)

If you have any questions about equipment or ingredients, don't hesitate to ask!

That's bread yeast. Look at it sitting there, all depressed. Listless. Beer yeast doesn't look like that. It has hopes. Dreams. Something to look forward to...

Old 05-17-2010, 04:06 PM   #4
aggieotis
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Sounds like you're looking for what's essentially a Budweiser clone. However, since you're new to homebrewing, then you probably don't have a full lagering system of chest freezers and temp regulators to make a real lager. As such I looked around the forums and found this thread: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/i-wa...dweiser-23302/

Budweiser Clone (BYO) - Modified to be Gluten-Free
by Karl Glarner Jr.

This is a great, easy-to-make pilsner-style beer made with ale yeast — no lagering
required. Comes close to many commercial light pilsners, with just a bit more flavor. (5
gallons)

Ingredients:

• 3 lbs Sorghum Liquid Malt Extract
• 1 5/8 lbs. light honey
• 1 oz. Cascade hops (6% alpha acid): 0.25 oz. for 60 min., 0.25 oz. for 30 min.,
0.5 oz. for steeping
• 1 tsp. Irish moss for 15 min.
• 1 tsp. gypsum
• Safale US-05
or
White Labs WLP001
(WLP001 will make beer that's 2 ppm of gluten, not enough to cause problems for most celiacs...see sticky thread for details)
• 3/4 cup corn sugar for priming

Step by Step:

Bring 2 gal. water to boil. Remove from heat and add dry malt, honey, and gypsum. Return
to boil. Total boil is 60 min. Add 0.25 oz. Cascade and boil for 30 min. Add 0.25 oz. Cascade
and boil for 15 min. more. Add Irish moss and boil for 15 min. more. Turn off heat, add 0.5
oz. Cascade hops, and steep for 2 min. Pour into fermenter and top up with cold, preboiled
water. When cooled below 70° F pitch yeast.

Ferment seven to 10 days in primary at 70° F or below, then transfer to secondary and
ferment another seven days. Prime and bottle.
/end

If you make this though, you have to tell us how it turns out. I doubt there's a single non-commercial beer that's been brewed more than a couple of times, so we'd be interested in your tasting notes.

Old 05-18-2010, 06:38 AM   #5
wolves63
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Thanks everyone for the quick responses. I am looking at my first brewing experience in about 1 month, don't worry I will definitely be asking a lot of questions between now and when I first start.

Old 05-18-2010, 05:03 PM   #6
DKershner
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 21 Posts

Aggie's recipe looks perfect for what you want.

Old 05-18-2010, 05:12 PM   #7
wolves63
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

yeah, I was thinking about going with that, only what is the difference between Safale US-05 and White Labs WLP001 and why wouldn't you just chose the one that didn't have the gluten in it to be safe?

Old 05-18-2010, 05:38 PM   #8
Lcasanova
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolves63 View Post
yeah, I was thinking about going with that, only what is the difference between Safale US-05 and White Labs WLP001 and why wouldn't you just chose the one that didn't have the gluten in it to be safe?
That's what I do...Not exactly sure why others would use it but I think for some that fact that is is < 20 ppm is sufficient...I think none would be better

Old 05-18-2010, 05:44 PM   #9
DKershner
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcasanova View Post
That's what I do...Not exactly sure why others would use it but I think for some that fact that is is < 20 ppm is sufficient...I think none would be better
Yeah, use S-05. No point in using some gluten if its the chico yeast strain.

Old 05-18-2010, 05:51 PM   #10
wolves63
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

does it change the way the flavor or aroma of the beer?

Quick Reply