Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > My GF Brown ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2010, 03:51 AM   #1
jap0knees
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default My GF Brown ale

I just wanted to show off some beer I made with my own GF malts to get feed back on what people think.

just after being poured into the glass

Foam close up to show off the foam retention/stability

always sad when it`s gone but look at the lacey foam

this beer was made with millet, buckwheat, and dark candy sugar only. Please tell me what you think

Last edited by jap0knees; 09-03-2010 at 03:53 AM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2010, 04:26 AM   #2
celiacsurvivor
Recipes 

Looks good, but more importantly how did it taste?

If it was good, can you post the receipe. Did you malt the grain?

Old 09-07-2010, 12:51 AM   #3
jap0knees
Recipes 

Yes I malted the grain and I can post the recipe, but I make my own homemade malts so it would'nt come out the same.

Old 09-07-2010, 03:59 PM   #4
DKershner
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jap0knees View Post
Yes I malted the grain and I can post the recipe, but I make my own homemade malts so it would'nt come out the same.
You could say the same about water, MLT geometry, etc. Never stops us from sharing results.

And what did it taste like? We have plenty of ways to gain head retention that require much less work than collecting, malting, and roasting grain.

Old 09-08-2010, 03:35 AM   #5
jap0knees
Recipes 

the difference is I have less of an issue sharing my water, MLT geometry, and etc info. But I do not wish to tell how I roast/malt my grains

It tasted very caramel'ish the nice roasted buckwheat malt I made tasted a good bit like barley, the mouth feel is very clean and refreshing with a very slight carbonation bite. After a month you really start to get a nice hoppy bitterness that balances out the grain flavors very well.

Old 09-08-2010, 02:37 PM   #6
Lcasanova
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
the difference is I have less of an issue sharing my water, MLT geometry, and etc info. But I do not wish to tell how I roast/malt my grains

It tasted very caramel'ish the nice roasted buckwheat malt I made tasted a good bit like barley, the mouth feel is very clean and refreshing with a very slight carbonation bite. After a month you really start to get a nice hoppy bitterness that balances out the grain flavors very well.
If you don't want to share how you roast/malt your grains, why would you join this forum in the first place? This isn't about gloating, we're all trying to help one another and especially in this forum- we're all on the same team...I'm just saying.

Old 09-08-2010, 04:03 PM   #7
DKershner
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
This I agree with.

Quote:
This doesn't even agree with yourself.

If you don't want to share anything about how you made the beer, then all you are giving us is a picture of beer you created in a glass and telling us it is gluten free. It is fine if that is what you want to do, just don't expect us to be all that grateful.

On a side note, several professional brewers with proven recipes completely give away the entire recipe. I really don't think you have much to worry about when it comes to stealing if you are thinking about starting a commercial enterprise. You would have to change everything so much just to scale it up to commercial batch sizes that it would be an entirely new recipe and without your expertise on the original makings, it would basically be impossible for anyone else to copy you any faster than creating their own.

Old 09-08-2010, 04:27 PM   #8
jap0knees
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lcasanova View Post
If you don't want to share how you roast/malt your grains, why would you join this forum in the first place? This isn't about gloating, we're all trying to help one another and especially in this forum- we're all on the same team...I'm just saying.
I am not trying to just "gloat" about it but right now that is all I can do as my recipe is great but without proper details on malting the grains and roasting the grains I make ( because I don't quite have my malting completely down, it`s either under modified or over) there is no point in sharing at this moment.

just basically I want to get everything down 100% then I will share a good bit and try to help the GF community...just takes time.

sorry for bragging lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKershner View Post
This I agree with.

This doesn't even agree with yourself.

If you don't want to share anything about how you made the beer, then all you are giving us is a picture of beer you created in a glass and telling us it is gluten free. It is fine if that is what you want to do, just don't expect us to be all that grateful.

On a side note, several professional brewers with proven recipes completely give away the entire recipe. I really don't think you have much to worry about when it comes to stealing if you are thinking about starting a commercial enterprise. You would have to change everything so much just to scale it up to commercial batch sizes that it would be an entirely new recipe and without your expertise on the original makings, it would basically be impossible for anyone else to copy you any faster than creating their own.
Well I wanted to open a brewery but that takes quite a bit of money ( of course everything does) but the red tape is EVERYWHERE. So I have now decided it may just be easier to sell my malts with included brewing instructions.

Last edited by jap0knees; 09-08-2010 at 04:36 PM.

Quick Reply