Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > millet for mouth feel?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2010, 01:53 AM   #1
ponderingsage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default millet for mouth feel?

Hi, I am recently new to brewing and now with a few batches under my belt I would like to try to make a GF IPA for my housemate, who I have been torturing with the yummy brewing smells and she can hardly take it.

I was at a friends house and he was making a stout. I saw him grind up raw millet in a coffee grinder until it was a powder. He added this strait into the boil. He said it gave his beer a good mouth feel. Does anybody have experience trying this? seems worth a shot

GF beers seem always light in body and I wonder if this would help. I also plan on roasting grains for color as per another post.
thanks for any feedback.

Sage

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2010, 02:37 AM   #2
Lcasanova
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 4

You could use maltodextrin. I use about 8 oz in all my GF beers. I've not tried using a "flour" though.

Old 01-27-2010, 08:03 PM   #3
DKershner
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponderingsage View Post
I was at a friends house and he was making a stout. I saw him grind up raw millet in a coffee grinder until it was a powder. He added this strait into the boil. He said it gave his beer a good mouth feel. Does anybody have experience trying this? seems worth a shot
I wouldn't recommend boiling grain, be it pulverized or not. Will just add starch to your beer, not sure what that would do for mouthfeel, but I can't imagine it tasting very good.

In any case, depending on what you want for your IPA, dry is usually ok. If you want it sweeter, casanova is dead on the money, as usual.

Old 01-28-2010, 12:21 AM   #4
ponderingsage
Recipes 

Thanks for the info. I am assuming 80z for a 5 gal batch.maltodextrin. I will probably run the recipe by the forum for any other tips before brew day.
thanks.

Old 01-28-2010, 12:24 AM   #5
DKershner
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponderingsage View Post
Thanks for the info. I am assuming 80z for a 5 gal batch.maltodextrin. I will probably run the recipe by the forum for any other tips before brew day.
thanks.
First 8oz, not 80. Yes, it's a good amount for 5gal most of the time.

There is a guy in this forum who had a nice way to calculate exactly how many points malto-dextrin will give you. Maybe try search.

Old 01-28-2010, 02:51 AM   #6
Lcasanova

Recipes 

I believe you are referring to this post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggieotis View Post
Maltodextrin (or Lactose if you're making a Cream Ale) is the real key to body in GF beers. Basically figure out the amount of non-fermentable sugars (sorghum syrup is 25% non-fermentable sugars, whereas rice extract is almost completely fermentable). Then add enough maltodextrin to raise the FG to the desired level.

Example:
I have a 6lb container of sorghum syrup and a 1.25 lb jar of rice extract. How much maltodextrin do I need to get a FG of 1.013 from my 5.25 gal batch of beer?

First Find the FG without Maltodextrin
6 lbs at 38 points per lbs per gal = 228 points

Assume sorghum is 25% non-fermentable (from Briess website), then that means 57 points of non-fermentables.

To get a FG of 1.013 from 5.25 gal that means you need a total of 68 points non-fermentables.

Take 57 from 68, that means you need 11 points of maltodextrin for your batch...or around 4-5 oz of maltodextrin powder (typically powder is about 40 points per pound).

This is a technique I've been using lately and it's been giving me perfect head on my beer that last just as long as it should.

Bonus:
OG on the above example would be about 1.055

Old 01-28-2010, 02:53 AM   #7
Lcasanova

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkershner View Post
I wouldn't recommend boiling grain, be it pulverized or not. Will just add starch to your beer, not sure what that would do for mouthfeel, but I can't imagine it tasting very good.

In any case, depending on what you want for your IPA, dry is usually ok. If you want it sweeter, casanova is dead on the money, as usual.
I would think that the extra starches would increase the mouthfeel...isn't that what oats do?

Or maybe not

Old 01-28-2010, 04:41 PM   #8
DKershner
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcasanova View Post
I would think that the extra starches would increase the mouthfeel...isn't that what oats do?

Or maybe not
Mashing oats and boiling millet are not quite the same thing, I believe there are also sugars in flaked oats that create different tastes and a creamy mouthfeel.

I am not sure exactly what pulverizing and boiling millet would do, but here is a snippet from BYO about what decoction mashing does, which is essentially the same thing you are asking about...

Quote:
The (in)famous decoction mash is frequently recommended when a brewer is in search of more malt flavor. Decoction mashes boil malt and — among analytical brewers who are not afraid of rocking the boat with unpopular ideas — are known to increase the astringent character associated with tannins.
Of course, even after a decoction, the grain is removed, so I don't know what the result looks like if you ferment with it too.

There is a very real contamination issue with crushing grain near your fermenters, but I am not sure this applies the same way.

Basically, please try it and let us know what the outcome is. By my own prediction, I do not see good things coming of it though.

Old 02-18-2010, 08:33 AM   #9
celiacsurvivor
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default when to add maltodextrin

Hi guys,

can I add maltodextrin at bottling or secondary to increase mouthfeel? I know its not fermentable so I will need another sugar at bottling aswell.

My beers are somewhat lacking in head and I want to try to improve that.

Cheers

Colm

Old 02-18-2010, 03:49 PM   #10
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 138 Times on 131 Posts

Maltodextrin will improve head an head retention as well as mouthfeel. It can be added with the priming sugar. won't give you a Guinness head, but it helps.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Quick Reply