Today I brewed up my first batch with the Promalt enzyme cocktail, which contains beta-glucanase, protease, and both alpha- and beta-amylase. I did a mash with 3 lbs of bananas and 2 lbs of millet, and I can't really say the results I got were a whole lot better than when I've used amylase on its own. I got about 55% efficiency after doing a 2-hour cereal mash (held between 190 and 175), followed by a 3-step infusion mash, BIAB-style. The Promalt was added after the cereal mash, once the temp had dropped to the temperature of the first rest. My rests were 15 minutes at 120, 15 minutes at 135, and 45 minutes at 150. I stirred frequently, as directed. I probably should have rested longer at each stage, but that would have required me to brew late into the night, so I kinda had to rush. However, from what I know of BIAB techniques, the thinner mash brings with it more rapid enzyme activity, so it seemed like a safe procedure to shorten the rests. I used the full volume of water for the infusion, calculated so that after removing the grains, I had about 3.5 gallons of wort for the boil. The millet I crushed in a corona mill, and the bananas I froze overnight and then pureed. My pre-boil gravity was 1.028; after adding a pound of sorghum LME at flame-out, my OG was 1.040, about .006 lower than I had calculated at my preliminary estimate of 60% efficiency. The wort was very thick and milky and there was a TON of hot break material, and straining the grains out (even with lots of rice hulls) was quite difficult. Perhaps the bananas are to blame; I don't want to draw any conclusions about the Promalt just yet. Next week I'm going to try a rice blend and see how that goes. We'll see how this beer turns out; I do recall that my early attempt at using bananas and sweet potatoes as an enzyme source to convert wild rice and corn yielded a similar milky wort, with a LOT of trub, but the 2 gallons of finished beer I was able to get out of it were very good. So, I'm neither optimistic nor pessimistic at this point.