Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > Melanoidin Flour?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2011, 06:20 PM   #11
DirtbagHB
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

perhaps using a grain bag would be a good enough strainer.

and if there is any trub that gets through the bag wouldn't that settle during primary and secondary fermentation?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2011, 01:25 AM   #12
JerryE
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtbagHomebrew View Post
perhaps using a grain bag would be a good enough strainer.

and if there is any trub that gets through the bag wouldn't that settle during primary and secondary fermentation?
Along with my friend, today we brewed the 2 5-gal batches. For the specialty grains we used buckwheat, amaranth, and rice flour, toasted to various degrees. We mashed these with amylase, and seemed to get some good conversion, in addition to flavor and color. I will post the full recipes when I get a chance, particularly if they work out well.

All in all, I think they turned out great, and I am looking forward to the end product. As predicted though, the flour was difficult to remove. We did a lot of time consuming straining, and plenty still made it in. We'll see how much of it settles out in the primary.

I still plan to try the toasted GF breadcrumbs in the near future. I think that might work out better.

Old 02-06-2011, 06:17 AM   #13
DirtbagHB
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Is Clare. The stuff that 'deglutens' beer? if it is the same stuff I'm thinking about, I personally would mess with the stuff. I feel 'deglutened' beer is not the same as beer made from gluten free ingredients.

Old 02-06-2011, 12:27 PM   #14
JerryE
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtbagHomebrew View Post
Is Clare. The stuff that 'deglutens' beer? if it is the same stuff I'm thinking about, I personally would mess with the stuff. I feel 'deglutened' beer is not the same as beer made from gluten free ingredients.
Yes, it is supposed to remove *most* of the gluten. Doing the batch with DME+Clarex is part of the competition rules, and they are going to check the results with a lab analysis.

I will be very interested to see how well clarex works, and the direct taste comparison between malt and sorghum, as well. I am with you, though, and I do not plan to switch, whatever the lab results say.

Quick Reply