Originally Posted by DirtbagHomebrew
perhaps using a grain bag would be a good enough strainer.
and if there is any trub that gets through the bag wouldn't that settle during primary and secondary fermentation?
Along with my friend, today we brewed the 2 5-gal batches. For the specialty grains we used buckwheat, amaranth, and rice flour, toasted to various degrees. We mashed these with amylase, and seemed to get some good conversion, in addition to flavor and color. I will post the full recipes when I get a chance, particularly if they work out well.
All in all, I think they turned out great, and I am looking forward to the end product. As predicted though, the flour was difficult to remove. We did a lot of time consuming straining, and plenty still made it in. We'll see how much of it settles out in the primary.
I still plan to try the toasted GF breadcrumbs in the near future. I think that might work out better.