Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > Maple Free-For-All Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2009, 08:13 PM   #11
Mirilis
Lvl 10 Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by conpewter View Post
You could also try some maple flavoring, used it in some bacon cookies I made once.
Bacon Cookies? I dont know if i should be repulsed or not.. part of me wants to make them and part of me wants to vomit at the thought...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2009, 08:28 PM   #12
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirilis View Post
Bacon Cookies? I dont know if i should be repulsed or not.. part of me wants to make them and part of me wants to vomit at the thought...
They were OK, not wonderful but not gross. Would have been improved by simply leaving the bacon out.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Maple-B...es/Detail.aspx

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Old 12-17-2009, 12:26 AM   #13
Ksosh
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by deyoung View Post
Anyone else had experience using maple syrup?
I used 1/2 gallon or so in my maple ale recipe, and there's very, very little maple flavor (and this was Organic Grade B) and it burns hot (like another poster mentioned), so yes, you need to use A LOT, and it'll take a while to settle down. Also, I primed with it, and the head is, frankly, sh!tty, so I wouldn't recommend it.

I've also tried using fennugreek, and I used 2 TBS and there's a very light maple-like aroma/flavor. You can find it at Indian Food stores or Asian Markets (pretty cheap, too).

Good luck!

-Ksosh
----------------------------------
Primary: Belgian Dark Strong, Version 2
Secondary: Second running session ale #2

Old 01-14-2010, 02:55 AM   #14
deyoung
Recipes 

An update on my gluten-free ale....

I left it in the primary for 7 days instead of the usual 4. The gravity was still up at 1.026. I racked a second time, adding some yeast nutrient to try and kick things up a bit. It has now been fermenting for almost 5 weeks and although it has slowed very gradually it's still going a bit. I think I'm going to test the gravity in the next few days and if it's below 1.014 or so I'm going to bottle.

I imagine the lack of malt is to blame for the slow fermentation. I'm not sure if the sorghum was malted prior to being processed into a syrup.

Bottled: Pumpkin Ale
Bottled: Junk in the Dunkel (Dunkelweizen)
Secondary: Empty
Primary: American IPA
Up Next: ???

nerdbeer.com

Old 01-15-2010, 07:54 AM   #15
deyoung
Recipes 

Gravity finally down to 1.012 so should be ready for the bottle any time. The taste has really mellowed out now with the harsh aftertaste all but gone. Going to put some fresh vanilla bean in and leave in the carboy for one more week. Finings added at first racking have really done their job now so it's looking crystal clear.

nerdbeer.com

Old 01-15-2010, 10:46 AM   #16
bonsai4tim
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

The maple flavor may come back with time---I was really disappointed with my maple porter (1 quart maple syrup in 5 gal). At 3 weeks in the bottle, carbonation was good, tasted like a good porter, no maple flavor.

At 5 weeks, the maple flavor was back, faint but definitely present.

t

Old 01-15-2010, 03:31 PM   #17
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 132 Posts

Maple needs a sweet base to be noticeable. In all the time I've been brewing, I've never heard of a good result with maple. Maybe with a sorghum-based beer, the residual sweetness will be enough to make the maple come out.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 02-04-2010, 05:42 PM   #18
deyoung
Recipes 

I've completed given up on the maple flavour. Any that was there was probably boiled off on brew day. However this beer has turned out really nice. The sorghum aftertaste can be pretty nasty which had me worried while this one was aging. But I can report that that mellows significantly over time. After a couple weeks in the bottle, it's not really even there any more.

Next GF batch will have just sorghum syrup and some hops, for a good baseline test. Then we'll start adding stuff on subsequent batches.

nerdbeer.com

Old 02-04-2010, 06:07 PM   #19
Dr_Gordon_Freeman
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by deyoung View Post
I've completed given up on the maple flavour. Any that was there was probably boiled off on brew day.
Maple flavor can't be boiled out. Maple syrup is made by boiling maple sap for hours on end.

The flavor must be fermented out.

Quick Reply