Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > Malting Gluten Free Grains

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2010, 03:43 AM   #81
celiacsurvivor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

here is a link to the article that Strave19 was talking about and other one that is quite useful.

http://www.scientificsocieties.org/j...2006_112_1.htm
http://www.aaccnet.org/meetings/2006/abstracts/o-5.htm

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2010, 04:15 AM   #82
Lcasanova
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I've looked at both of those. They help some but some of the things in the scientific papers just go right over my head...and I don't have the equipment or patience to do what they were doing. Good find though! Any one else had success using home malted gluten free grains in a mash lately?

Old 08-08-2010, 03:01 PM   #83
Lcasanova

Recipes 

Here's an interesting post I saw with some videos. I didn't have a chance watch them but I think the setup he has and his process might give some ideas on setup.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/how-...n-malt-188337/

Old 10-05-2010, 04:35 AM   #84
celiacsurvivor
Recipes 

Does anyone have any idea of the ppg you an expect from GF malts?

I have just malted about 750g (1 1/2 lbs) of buckwheat and will be trying a brew with it soon, but it would be good to have an idea of the expected ppg before I start.

Otherwise how do I calculate this myself? Is it just from the gravity reading I get after the mash and sparge?

Old 10-05-2010, 03:06 PM   #85
DKershner
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by celiacsurvivor View Post
Does anyone have any idea of the ppg you an expect from GF malts?

I have just malted about 750g (1 1/2 lbs) of buckwheat and will be trying a brew with it soon, but it would be good to have an idea of the expected ppg before I start.

Otherwise how do I calculate this myself? Is it just from the gravity reading I get after the mash and sparge?
If the mash volume + Sparge Volume = Batch Size, then yes.

If not, you would need to take the measurement the same way, but then adjust it for your top off water. (ie if you measure 1.010 and you are using 3 gallons and topping off with 2, you would multiply the 10pts by 3/5 to get 6pts or 1.006.

I don't think anyone really knows the answer to the PPG question, people seem to be all over the place.

Old 10-14-2010, 09:33 AM   #86
celiacsurvivor
Recipes 

I brewed an ale with the buckwheat that I malted.
Here is my malting process;
I wrapped 1kg of buckwheat in a square of cheesecloth, tied a knot in the top and soaked in water. I have a two bucket system, the insdie bucket has lots of holes in it to let the water drain out and sits inside a bigger bucket with room at the bottom for an aquarium heater. This allows me to keep the soaking water at a constant temperature, in this case it was ~28C.

I soaked it for 2 hours then rinsed them off and changed the water, then left overnight ~7 hours. I rinsed them again and then laid them on my malting tray.
This is a three part system, the bottom part has a container of water that I put the aquarium heater in to keep the air warm and moist. The middle layer is wire mesh and I lay the grain on this. Then there is a lid with an extractor fan on it to help with drying the grain after malting.

This is the buckwheat after 3 days.

I was going to use my malting box to dry this but decided to use the oven instead. I put it into trays and put it in the oven on the lowest setting. This took several hours to completely dry.

Then I stuck it all in a pillow case, tied the top, and put it in the clothes dry on cold cycle for 3 20 min cycles to help remove the roots and shoots.

This didnt' work very well and I still had quite a few roots and shoots in the final product. I might try roasting them lightly next time to help make the roots even more brittle.

In the end I had about 750g of malted buckwheat, and it smelled and tasted great, sweet and nutty.

I ground it quite fine - not quite to a flour, then mashed with 3L of water as follows;
15 min at 35°C
15 min at 45°C
40 min at 65°C
30 min at 72°C
10 min at 78°C

This absorbed a lot of water after the 65C step and I had to add another couple of litres because it was basically a really thick porridge. I will probably mash with twice as much water next time.

Lautering and sparging was a nightmare.
I don't have a proper lauter ton so I put it all on a cheesecloth in a big sieve and let it drain through. It got stuck alot and took over 2 hours to go through. This is an image of a smaller sieve that I started with then moved to a larger one.

After that I had about 2 litres of wort at about 1016.

Here is the recipe I followed on the 7th of October.

Malted Buckwheat Ale

~2L buckwheat Wort ppg 1016
3L water
300g sorghum syrup
50g Dark Candi Syrup (SRM 82)
8g Pacifica hops (60 mins)
5g Cascade hops (12 mins)
4g Cascade hops (0 mins)
Irish moss (10 mins)

OG - 1026

This was bubbling away nicely the next morning, and has stopped bubbling now exactly a week later. I will leave it in the primary for another week or so and then bottle.

Here it is next to my Modified Amercian Brown Ale. Can't wait to taste them both.

Old 10-14-2010, 02:02 PM   #87
Lcasanova

Recipes 

That's what I am talking about!! At some point I was planning to make that malting box, but I don't have any room for it right now.

You are right on drying the grains though. Once I'm done malting I put them on a try lined with a towel and let a fan blow on them overnight. Then they go onto a mesh tray into the oven. The drier you get malt the easier it is to knock off the roots and shoots. Some will even fall off after the oven drying and the rest will come off in the dryer.

The mesh screen I used was perfect for getting out the dried roots and shoots since it fell straight through the mesh.

Thanks for posting this!

Old 10-14-2010, 09:48 PM   #88
DirtbagHB
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

where did you find a diagram to make that malting box..... i think im going to do away with all extracts (except tapioca every so often) and i found a close by source for cheap grain.

waltonfeed.com

and now that its starting to cool off i'm thinking im going to have troubles with the outside drying. even though id hammock it in our green house

Old 10-14-2010, 11:29 PM   #89
Lcasanova

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtbagHomebrew View Post
where did you find a diagram to make that malting box..... i think im going to do away with all extracts (except tapioca every so often) and i found a close by source for cheap grain.

waltonfeed.com

and now that its starting to cool off i'm thinking im going to have troubles with the outside drying. even though id hammock it in our green house
Shoot me a PM with your email and I'll send you a PDF of the specs I have on a malting box.

I used twinvalley mills as my source for sorghum. Just make sure the grain is maltable and food grade.

Old 10-15-2010, 12:25 AM   #90
celiacsurvivor
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lcasanova View Post
Just make sure the grain is maltable and food grade.

This is the main problem I have in NZ, we can't get sorghum at all, and any millet here is treated so it won't sprout.

So far I've malted buckwheat and amaranth. The buckwheat was all good, but the amaranth was so small that it was impossible to separate the roots and shoots and it was a big sticky mess when I was drying it. I don't know how easy it will be to mash but it will probably make a nice steeping grain.

Quote:
where did you find a diagram to make that malting box
The original idea was from a guy on the aussiehomebrewer forum who owns the O'Briens GF brewery there, but I basically made a box 1m square, the bottom part is 300mm high, the middle part is 100m high, and the lid is a bit more complex but as long as there is room for air circulation and an extraction fan you can do what you want. I'll post a pic of my lid when I get home from work.

Quote:
Thanks for posting this!
No problem, I've taken so much from this forum its about time I gave a little back.

I'm in the process of malting more buckwheat to have a go with different lautering/sparging methods. I'll let you know how that goes.

Quick Reply