Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > Malting Gluten Free Grains

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2009, 05:29 PM   #41
BBBF
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I also don't use a screen. I just mix the grains up every 10-15 minutes.

My experience with quinoa is that it malted very fast. I have only done it during the summer, so it might have been the result of higher temperatures.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2010, 02:57 PM   #42
eeebigeee
Recipes 

Default how to remove the acospire

Any suggestions on quick ways to remove the acrospire?

I just soaked 2lbs of quinoa that I bought from Costco overnight and the next day, it was already about 3/4 sprouted. I drained it and laid it out to dry until I could toast them in the oven later that evening.

Old 02-23-2010, 03:12 PM   #43
kontreren
Gluten Free Brewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeebigeee View Post
Any suggestions on quick ways to remove the acrospire?

I just soaked 2lbs of quinoa that I bought from Costco overnight and the next day, it was already about 3/4 sprouted. I drained it and laid it out to dry until I could toast them in the oven later that evening.
I've seen others post on here that they put them in a pillowcase, secure it and then put it in the dryer. I haven't had an opportunity to try this yet.

Thankx,
Jesse, Home and Gluten Free Brewer

Member, Forsyth Masonic Lodge #707
Member, Winston Salem WortHawgs Brew Club
Lifetime Member, NRA
Lifetime Supporter, Homebrewtalk.com

http://www.worthawgs.org

http://www.queensboro.com/ref/EBCMMMSCNNN

http://iam.homebrewtalk.com/kontreren

http://www.bellaonline.com/site/Beer

Old 02-23-2010, 05:44 PM   #44
BBBF
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Yeah, quinoa sprouts FAST. I like malting it at the same time as buckwheat or amaranth because there's enough of a lag so I can get quinoa in and out of the dehydrator before the next grain needs to go in.

The pillow case and dryer works. Just make sure the pillow case is tied tight and use the no heat setting.

Old 02-23-2010, 06:47 PM   #45
Lcasanova

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBBF View Post
Yeah, quinoa sprouts FAST. I like malting it at the same time as buckwheat or amaranth because there's enough of a lag so I can get quinoa in and out of the dehydrator before the next grain needs to go in.

The pillow case and dryer works. Just make sure the pillow case is tied tight and use the no heat setting.
+1 on that. I tied a knot, used a zip-tie below the knot, then tied another knot below that just in case...tumbling really knocks them around- just make sure you dry them in the oven first.

Old 02-24-2010, 01:49 AM   #46
dubbs
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBBF View Post

I am confused by the speed at which you guys are malting quinoa. I am new to the GF malting process so please excuse the questions but from what I have read most believe malting is considered done when the shoot, not the root appears. With quinoa and most grains (except Buckwheat) the root appears first and it can take 2-3 days before the real shoot appears. It becomes a real pain to keep the grain bed cool because as it germinates, a lot of heat is produced and the roots also tend to get so long they start developing root balls that you have to keep separated. After two quinoa malting attempts I had one good malt (took 4 days) and one that I ended up tossing out (after 6 days) because I didn't rinse often enough and it molded and spoiled.

So when is quinoa considered fully modified and what is the best way to test it to make sure you are getting a full modification?

Old 02-24-2010, 04:00 AM   #47
COLObrewer
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 50 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubbs View Post
I am confused by the speed at which you guys are malting quinoa. I am new to the GF malting process so please excuse the questions but from what I have read most believe malting is considered done when the shoot, not the root appears. With quinoa and most grains (except Buckwheat) the root appears first and it can take 2-3 days before the real shoot appears. It becomes a real pain to keep the grain bed cool because as it germinates, a lot of heat is produced and the roots also tend to get so long they start developing root balls that you have to keep separated. After two quinoa malting attempts I had one good malt (took 4 days) and one that I ended up tossing out (after 6 days) because I didn't rinse often enough and it molded and spoiled.

So when is quinoa considered fully modified and what is the best way to test it to make sure you are getting a full modification?
I too think there is confusion here, I've only malted barley but the quickest I've done is 7 days start to finish. The acrospire is the leaf not the root, in barley the root grows first and is appx. 3 times the length of the seed when the acrospire gets to full modification (75-100% length of the seed).

I'm curious about buckwheat, has anyone ever malted it? I've grown it and it seems like it would be easier to harvest/separate/store than barley or wheat, although I haven't grown any other gluten free grains.

Old 02-24-2010, 01:05 PM   #48
eeebigeee
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLObrewer View Post
I too think there is confusion here
Yup, I was very mis-informed on the root/acrospire.

I toasted the quinoa last night and it looks/tastes/smells great (tastes just like barley malt). It reminds me most like "special B" barley malt or a high toast caramel.

I have a barley crusher but don't trust cleaning it. How else can I crush this stuff?

Old 02-24-2010, 02:35 PM   #49
Lcasanova

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeebigeee View Post
Yup, I was very mis-informed on the root/acrospire.

I toasted the quinoa last night and it looks/tastes/smells great (tastes just like barley malt). It reminds me most like "special B" barley malt or a high toast caramel.

I have a barley crusher but don't trust cleaning it. How else can I crush this stuff?
Ziplock bag + rolling pin

Old 02-24-2010, 02:36 PM   #50
Lcasanova

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

If anyone else has some pictures of their GF home malting, please post them! I won't have time to malt anything until after tax season is over!

Quick Reply