Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > Malting Gluten Free Grains

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2009, 05:38 PM   #21
BBBF
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I think the best place to get the mesh is McMaster Carr. Although, I've also seen people selling it on amazon. How much grain are you going to be kilning? Also, what's the lowest setting on your oven?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2009, 11:51 PM   #22
Lcasanova
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBBF View Post
I think the best place to get the mesh is McMaster Carr. Although, I've also seen people selling it on amazon. How much grain are you going to be kilning? Also, what's the lowest setting on your oven?
I actually got the mesh from Lowe's, they had a good amount for about $9.50 I just folded and stapled it into a screen resembling COLObrewer's. I am "kilning" about 2 lbs of grain, I am almost positive it's increased in volume and weight, so I couldn't tell you exactly how much is going into the oven.

As far as my oven goes the lowest setting is warm, I have no idea what temp that is, but the next one up is 200.

I turned on the oven while I was prepping the tray and then turned it off once I loaded the malt into it. Shut the door and left it. I'll probably agitate it every 20 min or so until the malt feels dry and the rootlets or acrospires have whithered nicely. Hopefully this all goes well

Old 10-10-2009, 12:46 AM   #23
Parker36
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts

Anything new?

Old 10-10-2009, 04:57 AM   #24
Lcasanova

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker36 View Post
Anything new?
Yes! I put them on the screen in the oven alternating from "warm" to off over night. In the morning I threw tehm in a pillowcase and into the dryer to tumble.

I just now put them back into the screen to sift out the dried broken rootlets, a ton came off and they all look pretty clean but I'll do the dryer screen cycle one more time before I roast them. I'll probably use these as a specialty grain and malt more another time and try a decoction. Pictures after I roast!

Thanks for the support!

Old 10-12-2009, 02:31 AM   #25
celiacsurvivor
Recipes 

Hi guys,

if you want to spend some time and build a germination and kilning box then have a look at this guys guides on malting and brewing with GF grains.

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/foru...hl=gluten+free

He goes into great detail on how to steep, kiln, and roast GF grains. Then more detail on how to brew your first all grain GF beer.

This guy runs a commercial GF brewery in Aussie so he knows his stuff.

I've built the box that he shows, and my first batch of buckwheat is almost ready to kiln as we speak, hope to have a beer on pretty soon.

Colm

Old 10-12-2009, 02:47 AM   #26
Lcasanova

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by celiacsurvivor View Post
Hi guys,

if you want to spend some time and build a germination and kilning box then have a look at this guys guides on malting and brewing with GF grains.

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/foru...hl=gluten+free

He goes into great detail on how to steep, kiln, and roast GF grains. Then more detail on how to brew your first all grain GF beer.

This guy runs a commercial GF brewery in Aussie so he knows his stuff...

I've actually looked ad the two PDF's he has on there and got some good ideas. For my process I used a mix of his advice plus some I found on here AND just some on the spot decisions. But the box he uses looked pretty sweet, I'm thinking about making that but I need a lot more room.

Old 10-19-2009, 11:32 PM   #27
Lcasanova

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLObrewer View Post
I made them from aluminum screen material, stapled the corners.

It's hard to get consistency without almost constant attention to move them and room to breath.

Keep on maltin!
Figured I would aim this question at you, I posted it in a different thread but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcasanova View Post
I gave this a shot last night with the sorghum grain I have, I used about 1 lb in the aluminum screen I made hoping that the screen would allow more even roasting. My grain did not get nearly as dark as the rice you pictured and I think this is for 1 or 2 reasons... 1- my oven may not be calibrated and I need to get an oven thermometer and 2- perhaps rice darkens a lot easier/quicker than grains do... Not sure here. I did notice that I had some good smoking around the 20-40 minute mark and after 40 minutes there was not very much smoke and I could close my screen door.

Any thoughts on this...maybe I need to use a regular pan and forget about the airflow I get from the screen?
You think the reason I can't get a deep enough color is because I need to use a regular roasting pan?

EDIT: Oh, the rice I was referring to above is found here http://chibebrau.blogspot.com/2008/1...uten-free.html

Last edited by Lcasanova; 10-19-2009 at 11:33 PM. Reason: Addition

Old 10-20-2009, 12:18 AM   #28
COLObrewer
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 50 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcasanova View Post
Figured I would aim this question at you, I posted it in a different thread but...

You think the reason I can't get a deep enough color is because I need to use a regular roasting pan?

EDIT: Oh, the rice I was referring to above is found here http://chibebrau.blogspot.com/2008/1...uten-free.html
You could always try it, I have no experience with either rice or any GF grains. Just watch it closely the first time and try to keep a consistent temperature while turning the grains about every 5 minutes, this is one reason I've decided all aspects of malting are better served with some sort of "automatic" turning of the grains. That is my next step.

Old 10-22-2009, 09:54 PM   #29
Lcasanova

Recipes 

Default Update

Can't remember if I mentioned it, but I threw the grains into a pillowcase and into the dryer on air fluff to knock it around and break off the acrospires after everythingwas nice and dry. Once I did that for a few hours I put it into the aluminum screen I made and sifted the broken ends out. The grains look pretty clean now, I'll try to take a picture tonight.

Not sure what I'll do with them since I only malted about 2lbs...maybe roast them 2 weeks before the next brew and use as a specialty grain...or get some iodine and do a small decoction to see what happens...not sure- but hey, I'll be the guinea pig!

Old 10-22-2009, 10:41 PM   #30
Parker36
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts

How long were the acrospires when you moved on?

Quick Reply