Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > Malting Gluten Free Grains

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2012, 10:07 PM   #181
Bri03
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I dunno about the buckwheat (I've tried malting it several time and never succeded yet), but there's the company TruRoots who's making a gluten-free sprouted rice and quinoa blend (which I'm hoping to use to homebrew beer). I think the quinoa isn't sprouted, but I intend to make the test and put it to soak and try to malt the whole mix once again to get the quinoa to sprout. I dunno if it's gonna work, but I'll be back for some news about it. It could simplify GF homebrewing!!

By the way Casanova, your recipes are kinda nice. I like using them to start making my recipes, but my GFbeers still don't have any foam... Do you use something to get this right?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2012, 07:58 PM   #182
The_Fuzz
Recipes 

^
I use the Tru Roots Quinoa available form Costco in 4# bags fro $10. It sprouts in under 3 days. Its the only grain I've ever malted, but it seamed to work well for me.

Old 11-06-2012, 05:50 PM   #183
BBBF
Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fuzz View Post
^
I use the Tru Roots Quinoa available form Costco in 4# bags fro $10. It sprouts in under 3 days. Its the only grain I've ever malted, but it seamed to work well for me.
I've had good luck with the Costco quinoa, buckwheat from the whole food's bulk bin and NOW Food's amaranth.

Old 03-05-2013, 02:43 AM   #184
tannnick
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Will this work? http://www.pleasanthillgrain.com/buy...heat_bulk.aspx and http://www.pleasanthillgrain.com/buy...um_flour.aspx? I am trying to do this all grain and this is for a small batch at a brewpub. Thanks for any input.

Cherry Street Brewing Cooperative
www.facebook.com/TannersVickery

Old 03-06-2013, 05:17 AM   #185
celiacsurvivor
Recipes 

They both look OK to me. It looks like this is organic so it shouldn't have been treated in any way but you might want to check in case it has been irradiated or treated in some other way that might affect malting.

Old 03-06-2013, 04:49 PM   #186
tannnick
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

celiacsurvivor, did you respond and then change your response? I got an email saying you think the sorgum is ok but the buckwheat is not? Now you think they both will work? I was under the impression that it is the hulled buckwheat that will sprout. I do appreciate any input.

Nick

Cherry Street Brewing Cooperative
www.facebook.com/TannersVickery

Old 03-06-2013, 05:09 PM   #187
stevezab
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

A gluten free pale ale kit is available at Seven Bridges Brew Supply (breworganic.com) You sprout your own buckwheat, dry it, crush and brew as you would any other Ale. (szabel@breworganic.com)
Cheers Mountain Man

Old 03-07-2013, 01:10 AM   #188
celiacsurvivor
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tannnick View Post
celiacsurvivor, did you respond and then change your response? I got an email saying you think the sorgum is ok but the buckwheat is not? Now you think they both will work? I was under the impression that it is the hulled buckwheat that will sprout. I do appreciate any input.

Nick
Hi, yes I did change my response, I thought that hulled buckwheat wouldn't sprout too but after a bit of google searching I found that it actually does.

http://sproutpeople.org/bwgroats.html

http://gnowfglins.com/2007/09/27/spr...or-breakfast/#

hope this helps

Old 03-07-2013, 06:12 PM   #189
BBBF
Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I have had no problem malting the hulled buckwheat from the Whole Foods bulk bin. You could go that route if you are in a hurry to get started or want to avoid shipping.

Old 03-12-2013, 10:30 PM   #190
KevinM
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Here is a response I had last a while back last year and in 2011 from Pleasanthill grain about sorghum. This of course could have changed since then, particularly since when I bought it, the supplier was not organic, and this year, it is. Also... I'm going to set up a sprouting chamber in my spare bathroom shower and see how that goes.

Hello,

Thank you for your inquiry. The grains you are interested in are all open pollinated and able to be sprouted.

We would appreciate your business.
Dee Ann for Pleasant Hill Grain

On 7/24/2011 7:50 AM, KevinM wrote:
Hello,

I was wondering if your gluten free grains are able to be sprouted, or if they've been processed to prevent sprouting.

Particularly:
Buckwheat
Sorghum
Quinoa
Amaranth
Millet
I was able to see that the oats have been rendered non-maltable/non-sproutable.

Thank you.
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2012 20:50:36 -0700 (PDT)
According to the grower of the sorghum, the white variety sorghum we source is virtually Tanin free. There might be a very small amount, almost unmeasurable, though.
The sorghum is not pasteurized.
The sorghum is not irradiated.
The Sorghum is not organic; however, the grower practices responsible chemical use and no-till farming. It is GMO and Gluten free. The sorghum is a tan plant, white grained variety. This particular variety is bred for its sweet (not bitter) taste, as well as excellent milling characteristics.

Primary: Sake
Secondary: GF Czech Lager
Waiting to be kegged, Italian Primitivo
Kegged&Ready: GF Orange&Coriander, GF Honey Lager, GF chocolate ale, GF English ale, Island mist (zinfandel), Island mist (cbry malbec).
Bottled: Infected Mead, Dry Hard ciders, Accidental Sorghumwine, various unnamed.

Quick Reply