*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > Malting Gluten Free Grains

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2012, 09:06 PM   #171
powmonster
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Malted Millet, Buckwheat and Brown Rice over the last several days...

I had a failed experience previously with quinoa and millet so since I am new at this stuff I got a sprouting coach (a guy that sells grains for sprouting in Boulder, CO)...

Used Large Ziplock reusable containers, poked holes in the bottoms (for rinsing/drainage) and drilled a few in each of the four sides (high up on the container for air).
Soaked all overnight (10 hours total) in large bowls, threw the grains (separately) into the modified container and rinsed and covered w/ lids and let it sit on the dining table...
Rinsed 2-3 times a day.
Air Temp: 72
Buckwheat was fully modified after 24 hours after the soak (thereabout) Buckwheat Groats were used
Millet 48 hours-ish (w/ hull)
Brown Rice is still getting there at 72 hours and I am now putting it outside in the heat to speed it up, which is working, noticable change in 4 hours (90+ outside today with some humidity, but this is CO, so not really)
Dehydrated to stop the modification process in a excalibur dehydrator for as long as it took to dry out (buckwheat much longer than millet)
Roasting 25 minutes at 300 for an IPA recipe.
Going to throw the roasted malt in a brown bag for 2 weeks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2012, 12:44 AM   #172
Kithara
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

My wife and I have been trying to reduce the amount of gluten we ingest, and so I have been reading a lot of gluten free brewing sources as I can find them. I've seen people mention the pdf's that were from aussiebrewer's forums, but I have not been able to get a hold of them. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to get it from their forums since public registration is closed, and the link to them in this forum on google docs is no longer functional. If anyone had them on their computer and was able to send them my way I'd be very grateful.

EDIT: Nevermind, just got access to them.

Old 08-01-2012, 10:03 PM   #173
stevezab
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default Gluten free home brew kits, no sorgum

Quote:
Originally Posted by kontreren View Post
I am getting conflicting information about whether hulled buckwheat will sprout or not. I have some raw hulled buckwheat that I plan to attempt a malt with in the next few days. Does anyone know if hulled buckwheat will sprout or not?

Ammended: I ordered unhulled buckwheat, sprouted, and malted that. I've actually malted it and brewed a GF chocolate using the buckwheat, flaked corn, instant rice, and of course chocolate. Rule of thumb. If you sprout it and it stinks do not use it. I sprouted hulled millet but it smelled aweful so I think it needs more attention than I gave it. Will try again in 2012, year of the dragon.
Seven Bridges Organic brew supply ( breworganic.com) now has buckwheat gluten free beer kits.

Old 08-01-2012, 10:08 PM   #174
stevezab
Recipes 

Default Gluten Free Brew Kits

Seven Bridges Home brew supply ( breworganic.com ) now has Buck wheat - gluten free brew kits / with malting instructions.
Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by powmonster View Post
Malted Millet, Buckwheat and Brown Rice over the last several days...

I had a failed experience previously with quinoa and millet so since I am new at this stuff I got a sprouting coach (a guy that sells grains for sprouting in Boulder, CO)...

Used Large Ziplock reusable containers, poked holes in the bottoms (for rinsing/drainage) and drilled a few in each of the four sides (high up on the container for air).
Soaked all overnight (10 hours total) in large bowls, threw the grains (separately) into the modified container and rinsed and covered w/ lids and let it sit on the dining table...
Rinsed 2-3 times a day.
Air Temp: 72
Buckwheat was fully modified after 24 hours after the soak (thereabout) Buckwheat Groats were used
Millet 48 hours-ish (w/ hull)
Brown Rice is still getting there at 72 hours and I am now putting it outside in the heat to speed it up, which is working, noticable change in 4 hours (90+ outside today with some humidity, but this is CO, so not really)
Dehydrated to stop the modification process in a excalibur dehydrator for as long as it took to dry out (buckwheat much longer than millet)
Roasting 25 minutes at 300 for an IPA recipe.
Going to throw the roasted malt in a brown bag for 2 weeks.

Old 08-06-2012, 03:30 PM   #175
powmonster
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kithara View Post
My wife and I have been trying to reduce the amount of gluten we ingest, and so I have been reading a lot of gluten free brewing sources as I can find them. I've seen people mention the pdf's that were from aussiebrewer's forums, but I have not been able to get a hold of them. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to get it from their forums since public registration is closed, and the link to them in this forum on google docs is no longer functional. If anyone had them on their computer and was able to send them my way I'd be very grateful.

EDIT: Nevermind, just got access to them.
Can you post those pdfs here?

Old 08-07-2012, 04:23 PM   #176
Kithara
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I uploaded them to google docs. These links should take you there.

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0Bz-...mRER1RpWXFmMTg

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0Bz-...U9oVWFXR0lGVUk

Let me know if you have any issues getting them.

"From man's sweat, and God's love, beer came into the world." - St. Arnoldus

DougmanXL Likes This 
Old 08-10-2012, 05:28 PM   #177
powmonster
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Got 'em! Thank you.

Old 08-10-2012, 06:38 PM   #178
DougmanXL
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Thank you so much! I was having the exact same problem with the aussie forums...

After reading it, it seems to be the most detailed and concise guide to GF malting/brewing I've seen. If it were sold as a book, I'd buy it in a second. Can the files be stickied/attached to this forum somehow? I tried to upload them as attachments, but the filesize limitation was too small...

how much malt could a millet malter malt if a millet malter could malt millet?

powmonster Likes This 
Old 10-26-2012, 07:39 PM   #179
tbskinner
Recipes 

Anyone ever try a kitchen sprouter? I have some bird seed ( Bird died) Its mostly millet, i'm going to give it a try and see how it works.

20121026_122846-1.jpg  

Old 10-26-2012, 09:40 PM   #180
tbskinner
Recipes 

I also found this website that tells how to sprout different types of grains. It could be useful.

Quick Reply