Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > Malting Gluten Free Grains

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2011, 02:50 PM   #151
barleyfarm
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Ok! I will certainly keep you guys posted on my recipe. Due to the fact of how old this is (at least 1000 years old), I think I will stick to buying the flour, which is pretty much the ground up grain, and stick in a pan on the stove and roast it till it is brownish. I'll make maybe a 16 or 32 oz batch at first, and then move on to a bigger batch if it works.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2011, 06:07 PM   #152
kontreren
Gluten Free Brewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Jason's Deli now sells GF sandwich bread. If you have one near you buy a loaf. It is expensive (naturally) but you don't have to make it yourself and risk making a brick.

Thankx,
Jesse, Home and Gluten Free Brewer

Member, Forsyth Masonic Lodge #707
Member, Winston Salem WortHawgs Brew Club
Lifetime Member, NRA
Lifetime Supporter, Homebrewtalk.com

http://www.worthawgs.org

http://www.queensboro.com/ref/EBCMMMSCNNN

http://iam.homebrewtalk.com/kontreren

http://www.bellaonline.com/site/Beer

Old 10-14-2011, 05:37 PM   #153
BBBF
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by kontreren View Post
Jason's Deli now sells GF sandwich bread. If you have one near you buy a loaf. It is expensive (naturally) but you don't have to make it yourself and risk making a brick.

Get a Breadman Breadmaker w/ Gluten Free Setting. The worst gf, bread that we have have made from it is better than our best from the oven.

Old 11-30-2011, 11:34 PM   #154
DougmanXL
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Hey guys, I've recently started malting Millet, and I have a question. Can you malt with chlorinated water? I've found forums saying people had been watering plants with chlorinated water, and they were less healthy, but still grew. Apparently the chlorine affects the nutrients, PH, and micro-organisms in the water, but if you're starting from chlorinated water and dechlorinating it for the purpose of malting, afaik, all the detrimental effects of using chlorinated water may not apply. Does this make sense? Has anyone out there tried malting with municipal/chlorinated water? Also, apart from making things far easier, it might prevent mold from growing.

how much malt could a millet malter malt if a millet malter could malt millet?

Old 12-01-2011, 01:34 PM   #155
Buckwheats
Recipes 

I do not have a lot of experience with millet, but with buckwheat and quinoa I had some problems with getting consistency in my malting process (some grew super long, some not at all, etc.). I started only using water through a Brita filter and it has improved my malting quality and my process has become routine. I have shortened my time and been able to produce a more consistent product. These grains/seeds already have a hard time with making a quality beer, I would definetly use some sort of filtration system. Anything to help the process!

Old 12-02-2011, 04:33 PM   #156
DougmanXL
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Well, until I get a good answer I've decided to just treat the water with campden tabs. Anyway after 2.5 days of soaking, and rinsing in the morning and evening, I did pick out a couple that looked a bit moldy (black), but in general they're developing small tails. I assumed I should just keep soaking them until the tails are 1.5x the length of the millet seed, but at the rate they're going, thats going to be almost a week... do the tails grow only when they're spread out on pans, or will they grow when underwater (im using a cooler with a screen glued over the drain to soak them, its easy to rinse this way, and has a lid) How long should the tails be before I transfer them to pans?

Edit: Dec 12: Actually, I was mistaken, there were no tails as of a week ago, and I had to toss it. Too bad.

how much malt could a millet malter malt if a millet malter could malt millet?

Old 12-03-2011, 12:42 AM   #157
KevinM
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I've heard and read the same from many sources. That chlorine isn't the greatest for plants, but if there isn't too much, and there's occasional other sources, they can shrug it off. Otherwise the chlorine reacts and creates various mineral salts which isn't great for plants either. Malting though, is usually quicker, compared to years and years of watering with chlorinated water where there's a chemical buildup.

While my last and only malting attempt so far didn't go as well as I'd liked, my attempt at sprouting other seeds using plain, from the tap water, worked quite well. However, it does turn out that my water is not chlorinated, but rather contains chloramine.

Primary: Sake
Secondary: GF Czech Lager
Waiting to be kegged, Italian Primitivo
Kegged&Ready: GF Orange&Coriander, GF Honey Lager, GF chocolate ale, GF English ale, Island mist (zinfandel), Island mist (cbry malbec).
Bottled: Infected Mead, Dry Hard ciders, Accidental Sorghumwine, various unnamed.

Old 12-26-2011, 01:06 PM   #158
Satisfaction
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 26 Posts

Having read through the entire thread, I now feel ready to take on this step in my GF brewing.

One question I have is where are you all sourcing the grains? I see Eden Foods as one option..

Old 12-26-2011, 01:49 PM   #159
BBBF
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I got my quinoa from Costco, buckwheat from Whole Foods and amaranth was purchased from Amazon.

Old 01-20-2012, 09:06 PM   #160
pilgeram
Recipes 

Default Help - Gluten-free Malt (Oats and Timothy)

Hi. I work at Montana State University with a focus on gluten-free crops and products. We were directly with a gluten-free production and processing company called Montana Gluten Free Processors. We are currently working with two gluten-free grains (Nude oats and Timothy). Traditional oats have a seed coating like barley. Some people with celiac disease have an adverse reaction to these oats. Nude oats are a related species and are naked like wheat. In a small study, 95% of the people who reacted to traditional oats did not react to nude oats. This company sells a number of gluten-free flours and mixes (best gluten-free bread, I have ever eaten!!!).

My questions are in regard to malt. We made malt from the gluten-free oats. To date, we have incorporated the oat malt into bread. The bread with malt has improved crust (It is crispier) and improved flavor. We want to find out if the oat malt can be used for production of beer. We approached several micro-breweries. They need a minimum of 200 pounds of malt.

I am hoping that there is a better approach. Would anyone be willing to work with us to evaluate the nude oats for beer malt production? I can make small quanities of malt but from the thread, I think that you are much better. The oats are gluten-free (all product coming in to the facility is tested using an immunological test). The product would come directly from the gluten-free facility. the facility is dedicated to gluten-free processing and is certified by the CSA (Celiac society of America).

We also work with a second gluten-free grain called Timothy. We have no information on malting. Thanks, Alice

Quick Reply