Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > Malting Gluten Free Grains

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2011, 02:17 AM   #111
bluffwallace
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickahyatt View Post
I've had good success with (MAKE SURE IT'S HULLED!) red millet (About $15 for a 50 lb. bag from feed & grain store), very inexpensive. It is modeled after a Kenyan Beer, so I call it Obama Beer. It's pretty dark and as long as you use a lot of hops, has a pretty good smack. I also add ginger, osha, some lemon peel and juniper berry for my arthritis.
When you drink this beer in the evening, your joints will feel good and warm.
The trick is in getting about 7 cups or more of millet seed in a bucket, soak overnight, then twice daily soak and rinse and cover until they start to sprout. I'm experimenting with letting them sprout quite long. Then, lay down aluminum foil over your oven inserts, enough so that you can break up the sprouted clump into small even pieces. Roast as you will from 100 deegrees to 350, until all has turned dark brown. I like quite a bit of this in a large pan, and boil for at least an hour, each batch, until you get 5 gal. worth of liquid. Add your hops, I like Warrior and Nottingham yeast, and other things appropriately. 5 cups of sugar seems to be good enough for a 5% alcohol expectation, and you can adjust flavoring as you go.
The rest is the old fermentation, bottling thing.
I didn't know that you could sprout Hulled Mill as I have tried with NO success. What are the harmful substances in the UN Hulled Millet?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2011, 02:18 AM   #112
bluffwallace
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I didn't know that you could sprout Hulled Mill as I have tried with NO success. What are the harmful substances in the UN Hulled Millet?

Old 01-16-2011, 02:48 PM   #113
fermentedhiker
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickahyatt View Post
I've had good success with (MAKE SURE IT'S HULLED!) red millet (About $15 for a 50 lb. bag from feed & grain store), very inexpensive. It is modeled after a Kenyan Beer, so I call it Obama Beer. It's pretty dark and as long as you use a lot of hops, has a pretty good smack. I also add ginger, osha, some lemon peel and juniper berry for my arthritis.
When you drink this beer in the evening, your joints will feel good and warm.
The trick is in getting about 7 cups or more of millet seed in a bucket, soak overnight, then twice daily soak and rinse and cover until they start to sprout. I'm experimenting with letting them sprout quite long. Then, lay down aluminum foil over your oven inserts, enough so that you can break up the sprouted clump into small even pieces. Roast as you will from 100 deegrees to 350, until all has turned dark brown. I like quite a bit of this in a large pan, and boil for at least an hour, each batch, until you get 5 gal. worth of liquid. Add your hops, I like Warrior and Nottingham yeast, and other things appropriately. 5 cups of sugar seems to be good enough for a 5% alcohol expectation, and you can adjust flavoring as you go.
The rest is the old fermentation, bottling thing.
thanks for the info, I'll definitely be checking the local feed store to see what they have for millet. If you could(maybe in it's own thread) provide the recipe and process in detail as you brew, that would be much appreciated

btw I tracked down the pdf about tests done with millet(notice it's a source of b-amylase.

http://www.scientificsocieties.org/jib/papers/2004/G-2004-1303-247.pdf

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
~Thomas A. Edison

Old 02-13-2011, 04:57 AM   #114
Buckwheats
Recipes 

With home malting millet...maybe I am missing something but I have tried 3 different grain sources and I am growing mold.
Process is as follows:
2 hour soak, 2 hours dry in strainer, 2 hours soak, leave in pile on paper towel/cookie sheet overnight, spread out on new paper towel/cookie sheet to germinate.
It is this step that I am seeing red mold and some gray on a few pieces of grain(clumping with others). 90% of the grain malts very nicely but I am afraid to use it. Last batch with millet resulted in gushers.
Have not had any infection/mold problem with buckwheat malting.
Any sterilizing methods or tips?

Old 02-13-2011, 02:50 PM   #115
fermentedhiker
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckwheats View Post
With home malting millet...maybe I am missing something but I have tried 3 different grain sources and I am growing mold.
Process is as follows:
2 hour soak, 2 hours dry in strainer, 2 hours soak, leave in pile on paper towel/cookie sheet overnight, spread out on new paper towel/cookie sheet to germinate.
It is this step that I am seeing red mold and some gray on a few pieces of grain(clumping with others). 90% of the grain malts very nicely but I am afraid to use it. Last batch with millet resulted in gushers.
Have not had any infection/mold problem with buckwheat malting.
Any sterilizing methods or tips?
I haven't seen red/gray mold in my attempts, but unless I rinse it a MINIMUM of twice a day I get the white fuzzy mold.

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
~Thomas A. Edison

Old 02-13-2011, 03:00 PM   #116
Lcasanova
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I remember reading that sometimes it isn't a bad idea to rinse with a very very mild bleach solution. 1 teaspoon/gallon mild.

Old 02-15-2011, 10:51 PM   #117
Buckwheats
Recipes 

After throwing out all 5lbs Im going to start over with some new millet from a new distributor. Thinking back all my grain was sitting together and the whole foods bulk bin supply was extra moldy in general within 24 hours of water exposure. I will run a small test batch with the new supply and if I get mold Ill try the bleach suggestion... Millet seems very tempermental compared to buckwheat.

Old 02-16-2011, 03:49 AM   #118
DirtbagHB
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

With the mold only thing I can think of is rinsing more. Can you cover the malting process at all. And all else fails scoop the large chunks of mold and remember that we will be boiling this for 60 min at least and as far as I know nothing pathogenic can survive in alcohol environments either.

Old 02-16-2011, 04:16 PM   #119
BBBF
Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I rinse my grain A LOT to avoid mold. I malt my grain in 5 gallon paint strainers, so it's just a matter of carring the grain over to the sink and running water over it. You also have to keep the temperature cool and aerate the grain. Again, I find the straining bags are an advantage here because I can pick the bag up, roll it over a few times and not make a mess.

I tried using lye to control mold, but I couldn't get that batch to malt and I haven't tried agian. I think it's worth using if I can get a system worked out.

There actually is a health risk with mold on grains.
"Finally, there is one possible health and safety issue associated with malting your own grain. If your malting grain is infected with Fusarium mold, it will produce beer that may be unhealthy to drink. Fortunately, affected beer will also gush when opened, so you will know if you need to discard it. If you buy your grain, rather than grow it yourself, ask if it has been tested for Fusarium." http://www.byo.com/stories/techniques/article/indices/9-all-grain-brewing/1113-malting-your-own-techniques

Old 02-16-2011, 04:32 PM   #120
DirtbagHB
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Interesting to know beware the feresium

Quick Reply