Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > Looking for a gluten free malty beer, can anyone help?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2013, 06:56 PM   #11
igliashon
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_rayway View Post
Hmmm, it looks like I'm going to be in for quite the ride!

I wonder if it will be like GF baking: the more different types of grains/starches etc. that you include, the closer you get to an approximation of 'real bread'. If you just use buckwheat, or rice flour, it always tastes exactly like that.

It looks like this will require much more research than I had anticipated
Have you ever tried a Green's (Endeavor, Quest, Discovery)? They are made with malted gluten-free grains, and use a variety--millet, sorghum, buckwheat, rice, and maybe quinoa, IIRC. They're good, but still not very malty. Worlds away from New Planet or Redbridge, but even their Amber has a kind of thin sourness that I find in most GF beers.

I actually think the "variety" approach may not be the way to go; I'm thinking that it's better to go with a single variety of grain and just appreciate its unique flavor...it might still be grainy and malty, just not like barley. I'm very curious about buckwheat, I haven't done much with it yet but the bloke at glutenfreecraftbeer.com seems pretty into it. Other brewers seem pretty into millet, but at least using the unmalted stuff I haven't had any amazing results. I am starting to think that sprouting/malting makes an important difference, though.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2013, 03:53 PM   #12
bardsbeer
Recipes 

Midwest Home Brew Supply has a Bard's clone kit that includes Bard's malted sorghum extract. Bard's is the only sorghum-based, gluten-free beer that malts its sorghum for traditional beer flavor, aroma and color. Brian

Old 02-05-2013, 04:27 PM   #13
igliashon
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Now if only Bard's would step it up and introduce some new styles...the lager's good, but it's been their only offering for a great many years now. It's better than Redbridge, but about on par with New Grist. How about a brown ale or a märzen or something that really showcases that "real malt flavor", rather than trying to be as light and crisp as possible? It seems a waste to use such a fancy malted grain on a style of beer that American brewers have spent the last century trying to *rid* of malt flavor, with the introduction of adjuncts like corn and rice...and I can tell ya right now, I think Bard's could recapture a fair bit of the marketshare it's been losing to New Planet and others if it brought out a style not currently available on the commercial GF market. C'mon, show us what that sorghum malt can really do!

Old 02-05-2013, 06:18 PM   #14
the_rayway
Recipes 

Thank you so much for the recipe! I can't wait to give it a go

Unfortunately, a lot of these brands are not available up here. We generally have New Grist, Le Messagere (which has a fabulous Red - tastes like Rickards Red to me!), and we have just started getting Bards.

I have no problem learning to like new flavours - such is life for us Celiacs, but had wondered if anyone had come close yet in their home brewing. Ah well, I don't mind a crisp, refreshing Kokanee now and again

Quick Reply