Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > Looking for GF Brew Testers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2013, 02:51 AM   #1
muench1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Looking for GF Brew Testers

So at this point I am 97% sure I'll be going live with my business concept selling gluten free brewing ingredients. I'm still working on setting up my production equipment; it's a serious pain in the neck to design and fabricate malting equipment with limited resources, but I think I've got it mostly figured out. It's all designed for precise process control and repeatability, and I'm setting out to produce a consistent, quality product that nobody else currently makes. Since I'm now biting the bullet and paying equipment costs, I figure I should recruit some people to help test my product once I get it rolled out. Extract production is way out of my league (technically and financially), so my ingredient production will be limited to GF malt.

I'll be looking for people to help test base, crystal and roasted malts as I get them produced. I'd be most interested in finding gluten-free brewers with decent process control that do mini-mash and all-grain brewing, and would be willing to give me plenty of feedback. Big plus if you can share your beer back to me or others for more feedback. I do not currently have a time table for test production, but I hope to be rolling sooner than later.

I have no specifics for how a testing agreement might be structured right now, and would be open to whatever ideas. I would hope that testers would be willing to pay for shipping at a minimum (or in igliashon's case, he can come to my house, pick it up in person and drink my beer).

Disclaimer: This is all still experimental. All equipment is dedicated solely to gluten-free production, but the experimental nature of the product will probably not always result in awesome beer.

Thoughts? Questions? Interest?

Coming soon:, Blackberry Wine, GF Pale, GF Braggot

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2013, 03:26 AM   #2
QuercusMax
Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 22

That sounds awesome!!! Sign me up! I'm still pretty new to GF brewing, but I would love to help test your ingredients, including doing side-by-side tests with equivalent non-GF recipes (see my "GF Mounds Bar Mild" thread). I'm really not thrilled with the sorghum syrups out there, and Colorado Malting is about the only source for malted GF grains, but they admit they don't have time to actually do much brewing with them. Having base malts, crystal, and roasted grains, along with recipes and processes would be fantastic. My experience so far tells me that GF brewing can result in very good beers with the right ingredients and processes.

Old 03-01-2013, 04:32 PM   #3
igliashon
Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Count me in, mate. Let me know when you've got some product ready to go and I'll bust down to pick it up. I'll probably want to get a proper mash/lauter tun to do some all-grain trials, I've been doing BIAB for a while using added enzymes and haven't been thrilled at the results (been losing up to half the batch to trub loss due to lack of a proper filter-bed of grains). I've been experimenting with some Colorado Malting Co. buckwheat but don't have any results to share yet.

Old 03-01-2013, 05:46 PM   #4
BattleGoat
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Depending on what shipping runs, I'd be down to test a sixer every now and again.

Whoops! Just read that you're looking for experienced GF brewers for the job. Nevermind then.

I like my beer like I like my women: Rich, intoxicating, and slightly bitter. :D

Old 03-01-2013, 05:55 PM   #5
Die_Yankees_Die
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

My nephew just got diagnosed with Celiacs disease. I'm seeing sorghum products and such in my future. So I'm interested.

Old 03-01-2013, 06:17 PM   #6
tflew
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

This sounds great I would love to help out. I just ordered a handfull of different grains from Colorado Malting that I'm going to start doing tests on so this would be perfect! let me know what I can do

Old 03-01-2013, 06:50 PM   #7
BBBF
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 20

I'd be willing to give it a shot.

Old 03-01-2013, 09:42 PM   #8
muench1
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Awesome to hear that people are into this. Slaving away on the equipment setup still, but I can almost make out some light at the end of the tunnel. Almost!

Coming soon:, Blackberry Wine, GF Pale, GF Braggot

Old 03-03-2013, 07:06 PM   #9
Osedax
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 34 Posts

I would totally love to do this. I currently use CMCs stuff but I don't think they have the process 100% down. Granted I live in PA but I would definitely pay for quality grain. What kind of grains do you plan on malting?

If you could do sorghum and specialty grains that would be awesome!

Old 03-04-2013, 12:54 AM   #10
cank
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I'd be in too. My wife can only drink GF and I don't think she really likes my first attempt. I am going all grain next week so I will the the ability and desire to help out.
Can't wait to see what you come up with.

Quick Reply