New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > long concentrated boils of sorghum syrup?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2009, 06:05 PM   #1
Soybomb
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default long concentrated boils of sorghum syrup?

Has anyone ever tried boiling down a bit or sorghum syrup and water mix seperately before starting the main boil with hops?

My next brew is supposed to be a porter and the lack of speciality grains make getting a good dark color and a nice roasty/toasty flavor a bit of a challenge. It sounds like caramelizing some of the sorghum syrup might help out with that.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2009, 06:28 PM   #2
Lcasanova
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soybomb View Post
Has anyone ever tried boiling down a bit or sorghum syrup and water mix seperately before starting the main boil with hops?

My next brew is supposed to be a porter and the lack of speciality grains make getting a good dark color and a nice roasty/toasty flavor a bit of a challenge. It sounds like caramelizing some of the sorghum syrup might help out with that.
You can make your own specialty grains. I roasted my own for my Brown Ale and this Stout I am about to transfer. I'll post pics of the color in a bit.

Just take your grains and roast them at 400 until you get the color you want, then let them sit in a paper bag for 2 weeks.

Also, the D2 syrup or blackstrap molasses will give you some color.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply