Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > lcasanova, your double IPA is next!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2010, 04:43 PM   #31
DKershner
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilort View Post
The part that is lacking from the double IPA is any malt characteristic to balance out the hops. The sorghum makes beer but it doesn't make a malty flavor at all (I'm not sure what it makes exactly) and BRS makes next to no flavor at all. So I think something that tastes like malted barley would be very helpful. I'm thinking of using some of the teas that others have suggested. I did actually add two bananas to this beer when I made it and it helped the mouth feel like you wouldn't believe (and doesn't taste like bananas at all). So anything that would add a malt character I think would be a good step. I'm even thinking some toasted millet might help too.

Sadly though, out of all of this, I'm just shooting in the dark because I'm not a beer chemist. I'm just an empiricist hoping to stumble across the right stuff.
No malt, that is exactly what comes to mind when you said hop soup, and I can definitely see that being how this beer tastes (I got it when the hops had died down quite a bit). Even Pliny the Elder uses a malty backbone of maris otter for this beer because they felt they needed the extra malt flavor.

Good luck on your experiments, its really what we are all doing after all.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply