Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > lcasanova, your double IPA is next!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2010, 04:55 PM   #21
chilort
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Everything I've ever made with sorghum has had haze even after bottle conditioning. Though I've only tried one beer with Irish Moss and that was the copy of your double chocolate stout that I made. It was hazy but I kind of expected it. I've got some plans for that beer. The ones I've made with all rice have come out very clear. I used Irish Moss in this beer so we'll see what happens.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2010, 05:01 PM   #22
Lcasanova
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilort View Post
Though I've only tried one beer with Irish Moss and that was the copy of your double chocolate stout that I made. It was hazy but I kind of expected it. I've got some plans for that beer.
Let me know, I just posted some revisions to that beer and I plan to brew it in November (I think).

Old 10-23-2010, 05:15 PM   #23
chilort
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I actually liked roasting the rice and the millet. And so far it is the only gluten free beer I've made that has held a head worth a darn. I think the grains may have had something to do with that but I'm not a beer recipe expert, I'm just going with my limited experience.

I certainly like where you are going with that recipe. I think when I do it again I'm going to do more of the roasted rice, cut down on the chocolate like you have done, add a pound of honey at the end, maybe a little cardamom (I put some in a wheat wine for me and if I use it again I'll add it to the secondary and not at the end of the boil like I did with my wheat wine because it is overpowering). I used some coffee last time and I'm going to ditch that entirely. And I think I might go with two bananas in the boil like I did with this IPA. I'm also trying to figure out how to make it darker. I want it nearly black. I've seen some people using tea so I wonder about some black tea we have sitting around here that never gets used.

Old 10-25-2010, 02:54 PM   #24
DKershner
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 21 Posts

Do you have a recipe for that rice beer?

Old 10-26-2010, 05:17 PM   #25
chilort
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f164/ras...recipe-186475/

Old 10-30-2010, 04:21 PM   #26
chilort
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

So we cracked open one of the Double IPAs and it reaches up and hits you in the face with hop aroma. If I had to describe the taste though, I would call it "Hop Soup." There's nothing behind the hop flavor to me. I hoping it chills out after another couple of weeks. The flavors in the first GF-IPA I tried to make several months ago has actually mellowed a bit, which I didn't expect. Now I'm sorry that I gave it away to everyone left-right-and-crooked thinking it would be no good.

So I'm still working on exactly what I want to do with the double chocolate stout the next time I make it (and that will be very soon). I am planning to add the cocoa powder into the secondary this time. Last time I added it in at the end of the boil. The local home brew shop suggested that I add it in when I transfer to the secondary the first time I made it and I didn't listen to them. They seem to think this will bump up the chocolate flavor quite a bit.

Old 11-13-2010, 08:14 PM   #27
Hrothgar41
Recipes 

I posted a pic of my latest tea based GF, so you can take a look at the color if you want to. That batch was 40 cheepo tea bags in 5 gallons. (I'm planning on getting good tea for this project for the next try, but for now I'm brike and using up stuff left over from various parties!)

Old 11-13-2010, 08:54 PM   #28
chilort
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I think my next GF beer will have tea in it too. My wife is a tea drinker so I'm going to look for her help when it comes to the tea selection but the advice in the tea post is very helpful.

We tried another of the double IPAs and it still tastes like hop soup. I hope by adding tea to these it will help to balance it all out. Though I know that by playing like this I'm just an empiricist. I'd like to know more about how it all actually works.

Old 11-14-2010, 04:07 AM   #29
Lcasanova
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Hop soup is one way to put it. I actually really liked this beer fresh, I thought it was fantastic and the aroma was amazing. If I were to brew it again I'd probably make some changes and not dry hop as much as I did.

What did you think it was lacking? Maybe we can collaborate on this one.

Old 11-14-2010, 04:45 AM   #30
chilort
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I had a few friends try it tonight as part of a tasting. First we did some gluten full wheat wines then we did my gf beers and then we did some gluten full barley wines. The winners in the gf category were my raspberry and blackberry beer with all rice and the double chocolate stout of yours. A couple people took home the double chocolate stout because it reminded them of bakers chocolate that they like so much. I'm going to try to sweeten in up though to get it to appeal to a wider audience.

The part that is lacking from the double IPA is any malt characteristic to balance out the hops. The sorghum makes beer but it doesn't make a malty flavor at all (I'm not sure what it makes exactly) and BRS makes next to no flavor at all. So I think something that tastes like malted barley would be very helpful. I'm thinking of using some of the teas that others have suggested. I did actually add two bananas to this beer when I made it and it helped the mouth feel like you wouldn't believe (and doesn't taste like bananas at all). So anything that would add a malt character I think would be a good step. I'm even thinking some toasted millet might help too.

Sadly though, out of all of this, I'm just shooting in the dark because I'm not a beer chemist. I'm just an empiricist hoping to stumble across the right stuff.

Quick Reply