New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > lcasanova, your double IPA is next!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2010, 12:59 AM   #1
chilort
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default lcasanova, your double IPA is next!

My first attempt at a sorghum GF beer was an IPA and I hated it. I thought long and hard about trying to grow what I'd done but then I found lcasanova's double IPA recipe. I liked it more than what I started with and I've modified it some (mostly in the base malts). I welcome any suggestions.

4lbs sorghum syrup (60min)
4lbs brow rice syrup (60min)
2.5oz Nugget, pellet (90min)
0.5oz Chinook, pellet (90min)
1.0oz Simcoe, pellet (45min)
1.0oz Columbus, pellet (30min)
2.25 Centennial, pellet (flameout)
1.0oz Simcoe, pellet (flameout)
1tsp Irish Moss (10min)
1 tsp yeast nutrient (10min)
10oz corn sugar (90min)
1lb clover honey (flameout)
1pkg Windsor (they didn't have Nottingham) dry yeast
1lb rice hulls (15min)

Dry Hop (1/2 each of the below @1wk and @2wks)
2.5oz Columbus, pellet
2.5oz Simcoe, pellet
2.5 oz Centennial, pellet

1Tbsp gelatin at bottling
5.0oz corn sugar at bottling

It'll be a week or two before I get to this because my next beer is actually a wheat wine for myself (I'm not GF). But once the wheat wine gets going then it'll be the double IPA for the wife (she has celiac). I'm looking forward to this one. I've never made a double IPA even for myself and I love IPAs.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2010, 06:53 AM   #2
Lcasanova
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 4

It's nice and bitter but not for everyone. The aroma though, is awesome. Drink this one young and drink it quick.

Old 09-13-2010, 08:35 PM   #3
DKershner
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 21 Posts

I would consolidate your dry hop to 1 addition and halve the amount. I know the Pliny hype at the beginning, but even Vinnie has dropped it down. It won't make a difference in the beer.

You definitely don't need Rice Hulls. Rice Hulls are tasteless, aromaless, sugarless empty husks that you add to a mash you think might get stuck.

Windsor yeast seems like it will leave this beer quite a bit sweeter than intended, but if you think you would like that, go for it. Think Lagunitas instead of Pliny, but not as extreme.

I am assuming the Nugget and Chinook are just what you have sitting around or something. It looks fine, but watch your IBUs, you haven't included AA%'s, but I am guessing that this is well over 100, in which case you can probably just lose some of the bittering addition to no ill effect (wort is limited to 100 IBU unless you do some special procedures).

Otherwise, it looks like a very hoppy, interesting beer!

Old 09-13-2010, 08:44 PM   #4
chilort
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I like Lagunitas so that could be very interesting. My wife found out about her celiac before she ever drank any of the Lagunitas so that could be cool for her.

Most of the hop additions are right from lcasanova's recipe. The Nugget was a substitution for Warrior though since the shop didn't have nay Warrior.

I've been told by the local shop to use rice hulls in the last 10-15min of the boil to add body, which is something I think these gluten free beers need a lot more of.

Thanks for the dry hop advice. I've never dry hoped a beer. As written this is 2/3 of what lcasanova wrote up in his recipe. I'm happy to save the hops for another beer though.

Old 09-13-2010, 08:52 PM   #5
DKershner
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilort View Post
I like Lagunitas so that could be very interesting. My wife found out about her celiac before she ever drank any of the Lagunitas so that could be cool for her.

Most of the hop additions are right from lcasanova's recipe. The Nugget was a substitution for Warrior though since the shop didn't have nay Warrior.

I've been told by the local shop to use rice hulls in the last 10-15min of the boil to add body, which is something I think these gluten free beers need a lot more of.

Thanks for the dry hop advice. I've never dry hoped a beer. As written this is 2/3 of what lcasanova wrote up in his recipe. I'm happy to save the hops for another beer though.
It will just be fruitier, not crazy fruity like Lagunitas. Like I said, just realize the difference it will make, it sounds like a good one in this case.

Indeed Warrior is in the original, I would just use Columbus over Nugget though. And like I said, after 100 IBU I really, really doubt you will be able to tell any difference in a bittering addition.

Rice Hulls...body... I want to call complete BS here, but the suggestion is so insane that I find myself having trouble calling shenanigans. Anyone feel like this could possibly work?

You can ignore what I said on the dry hops, but Vinnie has scaled his down by 1/3 since his original homebrew recipe. He now does something like a 1.25oz addition of each, and then a .25oz addition after 4 days. I went whole hog and the hops ate a gallon of my pliny. I will never forgive them.

Old 09-13-2010, 08:58 PM   #6
chilort
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'd like to know more about the rice hulls too. I've used them before in beers but I have made no back to back beers of the same thing to even attempt a double blind test. They are kind of a PITA because I used a grain back to hold them in the end of the boil and the hops gets all over it. It makes a real mess. .... multiple brewers at the local home brew shop (including the guys that work there) swear by it.

....of course, they use the same container to hold and scoop barley as they do the rice hulls. My wife was with me the other day and she noticed it. I'd never caught it. So their rice hulls are cross contaminated. But she's had beer I've made with the rice hulls before so it must be a very low level contamination. If I don't need them I'd rather not use them though.

Old 09-13-2010, 09:03 PM   #7
DKershner
Recipes 

Quote:
I'd like to know more about the rice hulls too. I've used them before in beers but I have made no back to back beers of the same thing to even attempt a double blind test. They are kind of a PITA because I used a grain back to hold them in the end of the boil and the hops gets all over it. It makes a real mess. .... multiple brewers at the local home brew shop (including the guys that work there) swear by it.

....of course, they use the same container to hold and scoop barley as they do the rice hulls. My wife was with me the other day and she noticed it. I'd never caught it. So their rice hulls are cross contaminated. But she's had beer I've made with the rice hulls before so it must be a very low level contamination. If I don't need them I'd rather not use them though.
I cant even find anyone who has ever tried it. It literally makes no sense whatsoever, so I doubt anyone would try it unless they had a financial interest in selling more rice hulls. Rice hulls are completely devoid of both sugar and starch, and one of those would be necessary to increase body at all. Not to mention Rice in general LIGHTENS body in all forms I know of.

Maltodextrin on the other hand...

Old 09-13-2010, 09:23 PM   #8
chilort
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've used maltodextrin too. But never back to back. One thing about rice hulls, if they work to increase body, they are really cheap.

Old 09-13-2010, 09:25 PM   #9
DKershner
Recipes 

Quote:
I've used maltodextrin too. But never back to back. One thing about rice hulls, if they work to increase body, they are really cheap.
I have 20lbs just sitting in my garage...I may go home and boil some and just some water to see if it actually does anything, but my time is probably better spent staring at the wall.

Old 09-13-2010, 09:48 PM   #10
chilort
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If you are that bored I'll send you some of the grading I have to do.

Quick Reply