Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > The Lazy Man's GF Beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2010, 05:07 PM   #21
aggieotis
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton View Post
what a horrable disease, if i had that i would not want to pass it on.
Actually, if you're white, there's a good chance that you're already a carrier for gluten intolerance and don't even know it.

Also, as a rule of thumb: Don't criticize people for the way they were born, it's not nice.

You can tease people being fat. For acting stupid. For living in Texas. For driving a Yugo. For the clothes they wear. For liking Nati Light. For their accent. For their political/religious views. Etc. But when it comes to something that a person neither wants nor has a choice in getting it's not nice to tease or exclaim how you're glad you're not like them.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2010, 05:15 PM   #22
DKershner
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggieotis View Post
Actually, if you're white, there's a good chance that you're already a carrier for gluten intolerance and don't even know it.

Also, as a rule of thumb: Don't criticize people for the way they were born, it's not nice.

You can tease people being fat. For acting stupid. For living in Texas. For driving a Yugo. For the clothes they wear. For liking Nati Light. For their accent. For their political/religious views. Etc. But when it comes to something that a person neither wants nor has a choice in getting it's not nice to tease or exclaim how you're glad you're not like them.
Ha! You live in Texas. You probably have a funny accent.

Oh, and I just wanted to add that of all hobbies, this is probably the one best suited to a celiac diseased person. I mean, we already take on the challenge of doing something that is readily available in stores, why not add even more to that challenge and expand it to food as well?

And hey, what are you doing in this forum anyway?

Also, for the guys talking about loss of body in beer due to clarex, we GF brewers are used to that, and it isn't that hard to overcome. Read around this forum and you will find various ways, most commonly Maltodextrin.

Old 07-27-2010, 05:38 PM   #23
mrkstel
Recipes 

Re: loss of body. In my opinion, watery Clarity-ferm (clarex) beer is still better than the commercial sorghum beers or worse yet, no beer at all. I am not celiac. So, I am able to enjoy a nice thick stout and hence, I obviously noticed when the clarex version was lacking body. OTOH, my buddy, who is a celiac, took one sip and nearly slipped into a pleasure coma. It was the first barley beer he had tasted in over two years. The watery texture didn't bother him a bit. I will probably add a hefty dose of malto in the next batch to make it enjoyable for both of us.

Old 07-27-2010, 05:43 PM   #24
DKershner
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkstel View Post
Re: loss of body. In my opinion, watery Clarity-ferm (clarex) beer is still better than the commercial sorghum beers or worse yet, no beer at all. I am not celiac. So, I am able to enjoy a nice thick stout and hence, I obviously noticed when the clarex version was lacking body. OTOH, my buddy, who is a celiac, took one sip and nearly slipped into a pleasure coma. It was the first barley beer he had tasted in over two years. The watery texture didn't bother him a bit. I will probably add a hefty dose of malto in the next batch to make it enjoyable for both of us.
You could probably create a big fat stout out of sorghum and make it taste fairly similar. It is the delicate and malty side of the equation we struggle at. You can add some burnt grain or coffee and chocolate to achieve porter and stout flavors fairly realistically.

Although, I will admit there is always something not quite right about GF beers, it sounds like Clarex is a great step, but not the end step. My lady doesn't like to take chances, and Clarex is still taking a chance with your immune/digestive system. Hopefully someone will prove that statement wrong somehow.

Old 07-27-2010, 06:39 PM   #25
BBBF
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkershner View Post
Yeah, it is really quite easy. I find the only food I miss and is somewhat difficult to make is pizza, and even then I have a recipe in development that turned out pretty well.
I make awesome gf pizzas (pan, thin crust and deep dish). I'm not sure what flours you are using, but you have to use a mixture or it doesn't taste right. When I first started dating my girlfriend, who is on the gf diet, she made some pizza using only rice flour and despite what I told her at the time... It wasn't good.

I'm trying to use the same idea for gf beer and use multiple grains.

Old 07-27-2010, 06:42 PM   #26
DKershner
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBBF View Post
I make awesome gf pizzas (pan, thin crust and deep dish). I'm not sure what flours you are using, but you have to use a mixture or it doesn't taste right. When I first started dating my girlfriend, who is on the gf diet, she made some pizza using only rice flour and despite what I told her at the time... It wasn't good.

I'm trying to use the same idea for gf beer and use multiple grains.
I use a mix of Brown Rice Flour and Tapioca flour. The pizza actually came out very good, the dough is just a pain to work with. Plus, I like to put so many toppings on my pizzas that the crust really takes a backseat.

Old 07-27-2010, 06:53 PM   #27
BBBF
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 20

I made a thin crust Sunday that was 1 C tapioca, 1/2 C raji (indian millet), 1/2 C white corn and 1/2 C of rice. Working the dough is the hardest part. You can't roll it. I just coat the pan with corn meal, put a pile of dough in the middle, sprinkle some more rice flour on top and just push it down until it covers the pan.

Old 07-27-2010, 06:55 PM   #28
DKershner
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBBF View Post
I made a thin crust Sunday that was 1 C tapioca, 1/2 C raji (indian millet), 1/2 C white corn and 1/2 C of rice. Working the dough is the hardest part. You can't roll it. I just coat the pan with corn meal, put a pile of dough in the middle, sprinkle some more rice flour on top and just push it down until it covers the pan.
Yeah, exactly. I used to work at a pizza place and what took 15 seconds there takes me 5 minutes.

I think I just need to get over it. It was my first GF pizza after all.

Old 07-27-2010, 07:06 PM   #29
Lcasanova
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I am a big fan of bob's redmill pizza crust. Tried that one yet?

Old 07-27-2010, 08:13 PM   #30
DKershner
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lcasanova View Post
I am a big fan of bob's redmill pizza crust. Tried that one yet?
I try not to use Bob's stuff for this reason:

**Manufactured in a facility that also uses tree nuts and soy**

Nuts are the allergy that I bring to the dinner table...great huh?

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS