Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > Kolsch with Bard's Malt

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2012, 12:08 AM   #1
chilort
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Kolsch with Bard's Malt

I ordered the Bard's kit from Midwest Brewing Supplies. I can't lager, so I planned on modifying the recipe before I even placed the order (it ships with lager yeast and tetnang hops).

I decided to do a Kolsch and used Wyeast Kolsch yeast (yes, I know this makes it technically non-GF, but from what I've read, as long as everything else is GF, the level of gluten in a 5gal batch should be less than 1ppm and my wife is not sensitive at that level - she's my GF beer drinker).

Soooo....

1/2 lb Millet - steeped 45min (no toasting)
6lbs Bard's white malted sorghum syrup - 60min
1lbs 5oz brown rice syrup - 60min
1oz Hallertau hops - 60min
1lb 6oz wild flower honey - end of boil
1tsp Irish moss - 10min
Wyeast Kolsch (2565)

Brewed today with a corrected IG of 1.068 (a little higher than I intended, but should be okay).
I'll transfer to a secondary in two weeks and bottle it two weeks after that.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2012, 02:29 PM   #2
stefan1011
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

That recipe sounds really good. Very curious as to how the Bard's malted white sorghum tastes in comparison to Briess' white sorghum.

Old 01-06-2012, 03:51 PM   #3
chilort
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

We've been brewing with Briess white sorghum and neither of us likes the flavor at all. I am looking forward to the results. Our fingers are crossed.

Old 01-06-2012, 07:07 PM   #4
KevinM
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Have you tried a 1:1 switch to compare? It'd be interesting to hear details on making two identical batches with the extract being the only difference.

And I wash my wyeast yeast with distilled water a few times to get as much of the original wort out while leaving the yeast.

Primary: Sake
Secondary: GF Czech Lager
Waiting to be kegged, Italian Primitivo
Kegged&Ready: GF Orange&Coriander, GF Honey Lager, GF chocolate ale, GF English ale, Island mist (zinfandel), Island mist (cbry malbec).
Bottled: Infected Mead, Dry Hard ciders, Accidental Sorghumwine, various unnamed.

Old 02-07-2012, 03:29 AM   #5
chilort
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

This beer went into bottles on Saturday. Lookin' good:

IMAG0285.jpg by chilort, on Flickr

We tasted it and it isn't quite where I would like it to be but we'll see what time in the bottle does. My wife said it tasted like cheap white wine mixed with birthday cake. That isn't a huge improvement over what we were doing with brown rice syrup and rice solids. I was hoping that 1) the Bards malt would make a big difference and 2) using liquid yeast would make a big difference. But, we'll wait to see.

Old 02-12-2012, 09:13 PM   #6
chilort
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

IMAG0295 by chilort, on Flickr

The above photo is just 1 week in the bottle. I'm sure that there will be much more head in 2 weeks.

I almost cannot believe how clear this beer is. I've never had a beer made with sorghum turn out this clear.

There is still a little cake flavor but I did use brown rice syrup that has caused a cake flavor before in other beers. It has subsided considerably in the week since I bottled the beer. I only got a sip before my wife took it out of my hands and I had just had a Halls cough drop, but I think this one is going to be a winner. The nasty sorghum bite is not evident at all. Finally, a nice lawn mower beer for my wife.

1) I will be using the Bards malt again in the future.

2)If my wife handles this beer okay, I'll be using Wyeast in more "gluten free" beers.

Old 03-07-2012, 05:38 PM   #7
philber
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Chilort, now that you have had time to savor the batch can you give some more tasting notes?

I have tried the store brand GF Bards and really enjoyed it, the other brands on the market just taste horrible.

Does this recipe come close to Bards retail beer?

Thx!

Fermenting: Golden Ale, APA
Kegged: Kolsh, Coal Porter, Sweet Stout, Seltzer Water

History: Irish Red, Brown Ale, Czech Plsner, Boddingtons, Saizon Dupont, American Amber, Hefe 2-Row, Cream Ale, SWMBO Slayer, BMC, Midwest Porter Kit, Irish Stout, Coal Porter, Miller Lite, Nut Brown Ale, IPA

Old 03-07-2012, 05:43 PM   #8
chilort
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for the interest.

This tastes nothing like Bards. I used an ale yeast rather than a lager yeast and I used a different type of hops.

My wife loves the beer. Friends that have tried it say that it tastes like beer to them too. I get a cake flavor, some have called it an apple flavor. It is light in flavor and easy to drink. I'm not a pro beer taster (no matter how much of it I drink) so I really don't know what else to say. It doesn't suck like much of the GF beer on the market.

I plan on trying something with Bard's malt again soon but with about 1/2 Bards malt, rice solids instead of brown rice syrup and a few other tricks.

Old 03-07-2012, 06:19 PM   #9
philber
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Good to know. I am a fan of Porters and Stouts and I was looking to create/follow a recipe that would get me to the taste of Bards retail beer. I really like the light chocolate, medium ale taste they have. But at $10 a six pack in my area, most stores only have one six pack, I need to brew this one!

As a side note, since I am only slightly gluten intolerant, i can play a little more. Adding White Labs Clarity-Ferm has really helped turn regular beer to low gluten beer.

I will keep searching for a recipe...

Fermenting: Golden Ale, APA
Kegged: Kolsh, Coal Porter, Sweet Stout, Seltzer Water

History: Irish Red, Brown Ale, Czech Plsner, Boddingtons, Saizon Dupont, American Amber, Hefe 2-Row, Cream Ale, SWMBO Slayer, BMC, Midwest Porter Kit, Irish Stout, Coal Porter, Miller Lite, Nut Brown Ale, IPA

Old 03-07-2012, 07:33 PM   #10
chilort
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've only ever had Bards Tale. I've heard that they have other stuff.

There are a couple of decent stout recipes here on the board. I've been trying to work on one myself. The last thing I worked with I tried using some buckwheat goats and I toasted them and the beer came out awful. We're letting it age but I don't know if the flavor of the groats will ever die down.

Quick Reply