Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > Just made GF crystal malt

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2013, 01:45 PM   #21
igliashon
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Cool, thanks! I'll soak the quinoa over night tonight and give it a whirl tomorrow. Maybe it'll work, maybe not, but at least I'll get some roasted grains out of it if nothing else.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2013, 02:33 PM   #22
mpcondo
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

have you worked with quinoa before? I'm just wondering what kind of flavor and fermentables you get from it.

Old 01-08-2013, 03:09 PM   #23
Ash_Mathew
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Aye, always worth a try. Plus, it gives us something new as we will have millet, buckwheat and now quinoa. Obviously we can't all sample each others beers, but we can describe the effects it has on each others beers. What flavours it leaves etc. I have some sat for a week or so at the moment, where as I used the last batch pretty much straight away. It will be good to see what time has to do with it, too.

Old 01-08-2013, 06:14 PM   #24
Ash_Mathew
Recipes 

Hey man. Here is the tray I use. Worth you trying a deeper tray still though. Then we know whether it is just me being special when I use a deeper tray, or whether it is a general thing with crystal buckwheat to turn a little porridge like in deeper trays.

image-4064569711.jpg

Old 01-08-2013, 10:09 PM   #25
mpcondo
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Are you using that tray to make crystal malt in? I usually us a casarole dish to keep the grain from drying.

Old 01-09-2013, 06:29 AM   #26
Ash_Mathew
Recipes 

Yep. That's the one. Never had any issue with grains drying out myself. Due to the way the grains need to be piled on to the tray, and the fairly low heat you begin with to make crystal, there shouldn't be any real reason why the grains should dry out. You are effectively sweating them.

Old 01-09-2013, 01:17 PM   #27
mpcondo
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I was picturing all the malt spread out on the pan, piling it up would work.

My gluten free English bitter has been fermenting for about 3 1/2 days, I have very high hopes for it and I am looking forward to sharing it in this thread.

Old 01-09-2013, 04:47 PM   #28
igliashon
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Just put it in the oven about and hour ago. It's exactly 2" deep in a casserole dish, 2 lbs of soaked sprouted quinoa that I soaked overnight. The sprouted quinoa I use has an odd earthy sweet smell to it, almost like licorice root tea, making me think the sprouting process does create a bit of sugar in it already (much like in barley malt). The smell is quite different to regular white quinoa, which is earthy and sour. I've worked with it in a couple of brews before, I even sloppily attempted to make crystal malt with it before, but I was just guessing on everything and it didn't turn out great. This time I'm following the protocol to the letter. It's taking its time getting up to temp in my oven on its lowest setting, but I guess slow and steady wins the race!

Old 01-09-2013, 04:48 PM   #29
igliashon
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

However this turns out, I'm planning on using this quinoa in combination with some puffed roasted quinoa and some kasha in a "got use up all my leftover hops" IPA in a month or so (sooner if I get around to bottling either of the two meads I've had fermenting forever).

Old 01-09-2013, 04:55 PM   #30
mpcondo
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Since you've worked with quinoa before, can you tell us what kind of flavors it gives to a finished beer?

Quick Reply