Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > Just made GF crystal malt

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2013, 05:24 PM   #11
mpcondo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I appreciate you sharing the info!!

I just sprouted a little buckwheat and am making some crystal today, I have a brew session scheduled this weekend. I am shooting for a British/yorkshire Extra Special Bitter, using millet as the pale malt with a combination of millet and buckwheat crystal. Along with a little honey and brown sugar as adjuncts, and possible a little malto dextril for mouthfeel. I will post some updates on it as well.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2013, 09:32 AM   #12
Ash_Mathew
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Not a problem. It's what we are all here for. Sharing ideas and experiment info.

Cool. What hops are you planning on using, and what kind of flavours are you wanting? Sammi Smiths is a good one to shoot for. Slightly less commercial than his brother Johns. Timothy Taylor's do an amazing bitter with a fruity twist in it. Very refreshing in the summer.

Old 01-05-2013, 01:15 PM   #13
Ash_Mathew
Recipes 

This is what my crystal looks like. Obviously looks different to barley crystal, but it works. Some of the grains looks like crystallised ginger.

image-3473648676.jpg

Old 01-07-2013, 05:50 PM   #14
igliashon
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 40

I gotta try this! I've been getting good results with mashing unmalted grains with promalt enzyme formula, but I can't emulate crystal malt that way. I wonder if this sprouted quinoa I've got will work? It's commercially sprouted, and I have no idea what kind of enzyme activity it'll have, but I guess it's worth a shot...if not, I'll try sprouting some buckwheat.

Old 01-07-2013, 06:54 PM   #15
Ash_Mathew
Recipes 

Hey man. Is the quinoa already roasted? If it is it won't work. If it isn't, just soak it in water anything from 2 hours up to 12. Making sure the water covers the top of the grain. After that time, pour it out on to a baking tray, think you guys call them cookie sheets? Put them about 2 inch thick and put them in the oven on a medium heat for about an hour without opening the door. The grains will basically mash themselves in the oven. Then, thin them out and roast them at a slightly higher heat until they are the colour you want. You should notice that it gets rid of the 'buckwheat' flavour too.

Old 01-08-2013, 01:42 AM   #16
igliashon
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 40

No, the quinoa's not roasted. Is the 2-inch thickness important? If so, I'll have to get a new tray, my cookie sheet is only 1/2" deep. Or just use a couple casserole dishes or pie pans. Do you have a pic of the tray you used to roast them? By medium heat, do you mean like 300°F (150°C)? I might do this up tomorrow!

Old 01-08-2013, 02:11 AM   #17
Satisfaction
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 25 Posts

Any suggestions on where to source unhulled millet?

Old 01-08-2013, 02:18 AM   #18
mpcondo
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satisfaction View Post
Any suggestions on where to source unhulled millet?
I have been getting millet from drsfostersmith.com, but i recently just found it at a feed store in my area.

Old 01-08-2013, 02:22 AM   #19
mpcondo
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by igliashon View Post
I gotta try this! I've been getting good results with mashing unmalted grains with promalt enzyme formula, but I can't emulate crystal malt that way. I wonder if this sprouted quinoa I've got will work? It's commercially sprouted, and I have no idea what kind of enzyme activity it'll have, but I guess it's worth a shot...if not, I'll try sprouting some buckwheat.
The diastatic power of millet is pretty good, not quite what you get from barley but it can just about convert itself. I do an iodine test while mashing, and it usually converts itself just fine.

I got some info a few years ago from a brewer that was using hulled millet to make crystal malt. He ground the millet into a flour then mixed a little enzyme and water to make a dough, then formed it into cookies and put the cookies in the oven to make crystal. I have not tried this, but he said he had decent results.

Old 01-08-2013, 06:34 AM   #20
Ash_Mathew
Recipes 

Hey, yeah it's quite important. Because you are basically cooking the grains, all of the heat needs to stay packed in for at least an hour or so until you start roasting them. I actually find it harder to do in a deeper tray. For some strange reason it turns out like a porridge effect. But I will take a picture of my tray when I get home tonight.

Here is a link of the process I used. Obviously it's based on barley, but the idea is the same. http://mobile.drinks.seriouseats.com...technique.html

Quick Reply