Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > Just made GF crystal malt

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-25-2012, 12:22 AM   #1
mpcondo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Just made GF crystal malt

Not trying to brag, but I'm so impressed that I was able to do this. I have been malting my own GF grains for a little while, and was wanting to really step up my gluten free recipes. So, today I made crystal malt out of millet that I had been malting over the last few days. Not sure why I'm so surprised that it worked, because the science behind it makes perfect sense. But I am thrilled to be able to step up my GF brewing to a whole new level!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2012, 07:08 AM   #2
Ash_Mathew
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Hi. I also do that with Buckwheat. It seems to get rid of the 'buckwheat taste'. Let me know what the millet one is like. Never been able to malt millet. But I am not against trying again.

Old 12-25-2012, 12:51 PM   #3
mpcondo
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

How does the crystal buckwheat turn out in your finished beer?

It took me a little while to get the process of malting millet, but it's actually very easy.

Old 12-25-2012, 01:51 PM   #4
Ash_Mathew
Recipes 

It's very caramel like taste in the beer. It's quite nice. But then it settles down and turns into a more toffee flavour. The next batch of malting that I do I am going to do half crystal and half normal. See what happens. Or just do two batches. One crystal, one normal and use half and half in the beer. It does tend to cling to itself though and can form a bit of roasted porridge look. Think I need to drain it a tad next time as the second lot always comes out better.

I have found buckwheat REALLY easy to do. But just can't get anything else to do it.

Old 12-26-2012, 03:53 PM   #5
mpcondo
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash_Mathew View Post
It's very caramel like taste in the beer. It's quite nice. But then it settles down and turns into a more toffee flavour. The next batch of malting that I do I am going to do half crystal and half normal. See what happens. Or just do two batches. One crystal, one normal and use half and half in the beer. It does tend to cling to itself though and can form a bit of roasted porridge look. Think I need to drain it a tad next time as the second lot always comes out better.

I have found buckwheat REALLY easy to do. But just can't get anything else to do it.
That sounds really good, I was thinking of using some buckwheat in an upcoming batch. Was your entire grain bill made up of buckwheat?

I did a lot of research on malting millet and everything said to soak the grain for 3-4 days first, and this is way too long. A 12 hour soak is perfect, then drain and rinse every 12 hours and its completed in about 3 days total. Its actually very easy.

Old 12-26-2012, 07:10 PM   #6
Ash_Mathew
Recipes 

I use either a little flaked millet or maize with it too. But I also add around a pound of honey and a pound of either brown or white sugar. I will post a picture below of what my recent German lager/beer looks like. Tastes quite nice too. Sorghum is really hard to come by here, especially as a syrup, so I had no other choice but to try it this way.

image-3684073491.jpg

image-2887220463.jpg

Old 12-26-2012, 11:37 PM   #7
mpcondo
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

That looks great, thanks for sharing the info. I might incorporate a little buckwheat crystal into my next batch.

Old 12-27-2012, 09:43 AM   #8
Ash_Mathew
Recipes 

No worries. I think it just gives us more to work with, just like 'Normal' brewers. Think I will get some millet from a different place next time, see if that helps any. I do the same as you. Soak for 6-8 hours. Drain it apart from a wee drop of water in the bottom, and turn every couple of hours. Usually is ready within 2 days. Got sick of only having one type of roasted grain, so researched crystal.

Old 01-03-2013, 11:30 PM   #9
mpcondo
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

make sure that when you buy millet, that you are buying millet with the hull intact. When I first started with millet, I had just got bulk millet from whole foods not realizing that it had been hulled and of course it didn't sprout. I usually get white millet that is intended as bird feed.

How many pounds of buckwheat do you use in your batches, and it sounds like you make all of it into crystal is that right?

Old 01-04-2013, 04:26 PM   #10
Ash_Mathew
Recipes 

Yeah, that is what I thought was wrong with it. It looked 'normal' but I have tried it twice with no luck. Another place I can get it from says it is perfect for sprouting.

Well, I do 3 gallon batches at the moment, but it is 1kg that I make at a time which is around 2lb I think? Plus about a pound of honey and either some Demerara or caster sugar. But I try to make the buckwheat half crystal, half just malted and roasted. My first few beers with it like the one above were all crystal. It still made cracking pints though. Roasting some tomorrow, so can let you know how it works?

Quick Reply