Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > Juicing sweet potatoes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2013, 04:00 PM   #11
BrewCanuck
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

danz,

I think I got very little conversion on the rice. I should have boiled the ever living hell out of it to gelatinize but instead I just crushed it and threw it in. It provides great flavour and colour though.

Pipeline is dry until that stupid ship arrives

All Gluten Free

Blog: Thirsty Engineer

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2013, 04:12 PM   #12
danz
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Have you seen this blog entry by Beyond Barley http://beyondbarley.blogspot.com/2013/01/how-to-mashing-and-brewing-with.html

I really want to try using that rice though looks like it would be tasty.

Old 05-15-2013, 05:49 PM   #13
Osedax
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 31 Posts

That's igliashon's blog. If he shows up in this thread, he should have some good info.

Maltodextrin will also help mouthfeel and head retention. It really helps with extract brewing. It seems to give me all grain beers an "artificial" mouthfeel. I use it sparingly.

Bananas are interesting. They most likely help because of all the proteins and carbs.

My House IPA

Old 07-02-2013, 03:21 AM   #14
svenalope
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

This is fascinating. I'm researching to do a sweet potato wine. I'd suggest country wine as a gluten free drink, and also mead. (Although the whole mashing thing is half the fun of making beer)
Here's my two cents on the awesome beer idea though. I've made banana wine, which was nearly undrinkable for all the body it had, so that'll give you some body, but be careful if you have any banana solids at all, that stuff foams like crazy and is like glue for an airlock - good way to redecorate your ceiling. Sweet potatoes i haven't tried, but potato wine, if sufficiently boiled, is totally fermentable without any enzymes, although you can taste the higher sugars in sweet potatoes, so the idea of mashing them is great.
I'd also suggest molasses as a possible adjunct; it has that real nice malty flavor, and the yeasts love it (in a starter at least). I'm excited to hear how this goes, and wish i'd looked at the date before i replied. Ok, good luck!
Oh ok it's not super old that's good! Also, regarding juicing: you get a whole lot more flavor and body by juicing vegetables than by just boiling them, so take that into account. You may not even need to worry about the body. Also it takes more time to clear.

Old 07-02-2013, 08:30 PM   #15
danz
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Thanks for the input, when I first started looking into this I had only done extract brewing with my mr.beer keg in an apartment. I have been brewing all grain since using BIAB to understand the mashing process so I can ultimately go all grain GF. I have a pilot system setup (6x64oz growlers and 2 clear 1g bottles) so will be trying and experimenting with various combinations in the near future.

I found a new LHBS which so happens to be Mother Earth Brewery and they have been awesome in answering questions and hopefully can assist me in obtaining the various supplemental enzymes and additives I will need.

Quick Reply