Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > I'm malting away! Gluten free Sorghum, that is...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2008, 12:45 PM   #21
kettlecookedman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I made a GF beer for my brother with Sorghum, Buckwheat, and honey. I used the same process with the sorghum but with the Buckwheat I kilned 1 lb with quite a bit of moisture still in it at 180 degrees to get a caramel flavor. Then I kilned 2 lbs completely dry at 300 degrees to get a darker color and more flavor. Then with one more dry pound, I cranked the oven up to 450 to get a really dark roast and put it in a grain steeping bag once all mash was collected before the boil like steeping grains in an extract batch. The second I pulled it out, rich dark color drained out and immediately darkened the drab color. Next time I'll just ad it to the mash but I really wanted to see what difference the dark roasting made. I pitched with Wyeast ringwood without smacking the pack and added 1 lb honey to the secondary. As I was carbonating it, I went out and got some commercial GF beers like red bridge and all that for comparison. There was no comparison. I hopped mine like an IPA and it actually came out with flavor. . I shipped a case to my brother. I kept the rest for myself and actually drink it over real beer sometimes. Its true that you cant call GF brew "beer" but it is a completely different beverage that somewhat resembles beer. I am not gluten intolerant but cant wait to try my next batch because there is a lot of unknowns. It is open to exploration and interpretation where beer is simply water, malt, hops, and yeast. It is just more exciting. Next batch, I will use wild rice and molasses. There are many possibilities.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2008, 03:09 PM   #22
Glibbidy

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Sounds like it really worked out for you. As far there being no comparison, do you mean yours turned out far superior then the commercial GFD samples you tried? I'm guseeing yes, since you kept a case for yourself.

Thanks for the input, I'm going to resume the design of my GF beer.

Old 06-03-2008, 07:53 PM   #23
tranceamerica
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by casebrew View Post
I tried browning some of the maize, about 1/2#. It smelled like corn chips, so it may add some grainy-ness. Something that sorghum lacks. Anybody ever try that in other beers?

some african beers, like kilamanjaro lager, use corn starch as an adjunct. it's an "interesting" flavor - dry and crisp. I didn't like it at first, but then began to enjoy it.

I've been meaning to try it in a blonde ale recipe, maybe do it as 25% of the mash to start.

Primary: beer, mead, cider

Drinking: beer, mead, cider

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilaMinumBeer View Post
...except for this d@mned tail I am fine.

Old 04-08-2011, 02:33 PM   #24
bluffwallace
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I would like to buy the briess Tapioca syrup but where do you get it from???
I have called briess and went to their website but they only sell to food companies. you can not place an order through briess.

Any ideas? It appears that David 42 has found some...

Old 04-08-2011, 02:34 PM   #25
bluffwallace
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default where to buy Briess Tapioca syrup (can't order from briess)

I would like to buy the briess Tapioca syrup but where do you get it from???
I have called briess and went to their website but they only sell to food companies. you can not place an order through briess.

Any ideas? QUOTE=david_42;296012]Saw this for the first time at the 25th Homebrew Fest yesterday:
Tapioca Syrup 45DE High Maltose http://www.briess.com/foodbev/produc....shtml#tapioca

Joel had a recipe for a Pale Ale using it.[/QUOTE]

Old 04-08-2011, 03:56 PM   #26
Glibbidy

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Try Northern Brewer. I knew they used to the Sorghum syrup

Old 09-04-2011, 04:19 PM   #27
bluffwallace
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Be careful Malting sorghum. I have heard that some strains of sorghum produce hydrogen cyanide in the rootlets and could be dangerous. please google this prior to malting.

Quick Reply