The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > I'm malting away! Gluten free Sorghum, that is...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2007, 01:31 AM   #1
casebrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Default I'm malting away! Gluten free Sorghum, that is...

I turned allergic to gluten. No more wheat or barley for me. So, hard core AGer that I am, I've got to malt my own sorghum. I put 11 pounds in a grain sack/paint strainer, in my mash cooler. Then soak for 6 hrs, and drain for 3. Go through the cycle 5 times. Use 30c water, the cooler keeps it about that warm. That took 2 days. Today, I made a couple trays with fibergalss indow screen bottoms, put them in my 'fermenter/fridge'. They already had acrospires 1x the length of the seed. I put them in the fridge, with my thermo-controlled heater- an old water bed thermostat hooked to an old Mr. Coffee, with a pot of water on it. Set at 80f, it keeps it within a couple degrees of 30c. Pretty fail safe tooo, if the thremostat screws up, you just have a Mr Coffe left on.

My five gallon bucket of Sorghum was about 33#, so this is 1/3 of my supply. My first batch of GF. I'll roast about 2-3#, hoping for a red brew.

Mashing will also a bit more complicated, with a late-mash step of heating to 180 for gelatinizing. Wish me luck. I'd love to be able to get as good as Dragon's Tale Gold. Someday. $10 a sixer kills me, after 35 cent Flat As Tire.

Hers's some links, if anybody wants to try GFing:

Sorgum source, if you can't find it at a local feed store: <http://www.twinvalleymills.com/pages/order.html#shipping> Came to about $1/lb, with UPS and a 5 gallon bucket. Or 20 cents for the grain... My county has some 2,000,000 bird egg ranchs, but I couldn't find Sorghum locally. The feed stores said "Huh? Whats that?"

Malting directions: <http://www.sillyyak.com.au/gfb/gfmalt.html>

Mashing directions: <http://www.sillyyak.com.au/gfb/gfbrew.html>

The Most interesting recipes: <http://oz.craftbrewer.org/Recipes/> Scroll to section 14, gluten free beers. I'm going to try a not-so-dark "Old Black Sheep", it seems the simplist to learn on.

PS, you'll have to try popping some sorghum too- little bitty baby popcorns!

So far, I've had more experience thinking than I've had brewing....you don't think they are mutually exclusive, do you?

72 batches so far,
48 wine, mostly Loquat, peach, plum, prickly pear
23 beers and ciders
1 sauerkraut
1 Tequila, from a prickly pear wine experiment that didn't work. I call it "Prickly Heat"

Last edited by casebrew; 05-20-2007 at 01:33 AM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2007, 01:10 PM   #2
abt
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Good luck! Look forward to hearing how it comes out.

Old 05-20-2007, 03:10 PM   #3
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 131 Times on 124 Posts

Saw this for the first time at the 25th Homebrew Fest yesterday:
Tapioca Syrup 45DE High Maltose http://www.briess.com/foodbev/produc....shtml#tapioca

Joel had a recipe for a Pale Ale using it.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 05-20-2007, 06:37 PM   #4
casebrew
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Hey, I can buy Tapioca starch at the oriental food market. I think it was 89 cents per pound. Plus, I bought some "spring roll wraps" of pure tapioca starch. Looked like tortillas in the pack, but were almost like plastic inside. Moisture sure softened them.

There sure are lots of sugar substitutes. But the only GF beers available today seem to be all Sorghum. I guess there must be a reason, probably flavor oriented?

So far, I've had more experience thinking than I've had brewing....you don't think they are mutually exclusive, do you?

72 batches so far,
23 beers and ciders
1 sauerkraut
1 Tequila, from a prickly pear wine experiment that didn't work. I call it "Prickly Heat"

Old 05-20-2007, 08:47 PM   #5
david_42

Recipes 

Sorghum has more flavor than the others, plus since it can be malted, less processing is needed.

How does the popped sorghum taste?

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

Old 05-20-2007, 09:24 PM   #6
casebrew
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I only popped about a tablespoon of it, in a bowl in the micro. Seemed even blander than corn, but i didn't salt or butter it either.

Back to google to look into more thoughts.

72 batches so far,
23 beers and ciders
1 sauerkraut

Old 05-23-2007, 09:32 PM   #7
casebrew
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Okay, I've fininished the 'malting'. I dried it at 30c, for a day or so, and 'kilned it' at 40c for for this morning, about 6 hours. I started with 11 pounds, after soaking/draining cycles for 2 days, it was up to 18 pounds. I thought I would weigh it at this point, to be sure I dried it enough. It's down to 9.5 pounds. My guess is that the malting changes give off gas? I wouldn't think there was 15% excess moisture in the grains?

It does taste better now- more grainy, less grassy. With a bit of an acidy bite.

Next step is to put it into the grain bag (5 gallon paint strainer) and toss it into the chlothes dryer, on cold. The idea is to break off the dried acrospire and rootlets, sine they tend to have cyanide in them. The I guess I'll have to winnow it, if the dryer doesnt' allow the bitts to blow out the lint trap. I'll remove the screen there.

More later.

72 batches so far,
23 beers and ciders
1 sauerkraut

Old 05-23-2007, 09:57 PM   #8
Sir Humpsalot
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Awesome!!! You are my new hero!!!!!!!!!

Got any pictures?

Old 05-23-2007, 10:10 PM   #9
david_42

Recipes 

15% water weight for grain isn't out of line, much lower & it would be dead. Some of the weight loss is due to the acrospire's growth & the CO2 given off during respiration.

Old 05-24-2007, 01:25 AM   #10
mew
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

How are you going to remove the acrospire? I was going to malt some grain, but I couldn't figure out how to remove the acrospire.

Keg 2: Empty

Quick Reply