Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > I want to come back to brewing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2009, 08:15 PM   #1
Soybomb
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default I want to come back to brewing

A couple years ago I found out I had celiac disease and had to give up brewing and bread making. I considered researching gluten free brewing then but was just too beat down by the news and sold off my kegerator, all grain setup, oxygen, refractometer, coolers, etc. The only thing I kept were my buckets/carboys and some bottles so I could make a cider now and then. Some of you might even use my website http://brewheads.com I quit working on it about that time too.

I've made do with cocktails for a few years and sometimes bought a pack or two of GF beer now and then. Green's has a couple decent ones although they're ridiculously expensive. New grist is ok, although still pricey and a bit bland. Red bridge is actually the best of them to me although it makes me sick sometimes and I suspect contamination issues. I was poking around today and found that now even NB sells sorghum syrup. Maybe its time I give it a whirl again.

So what can you guys tell me? I only made 2 batches of extract beer before I decided I had to go all grain or I'd quit. Can you make decent extract gf beers? Any grains to toast or steep to help? Better yet any recipes? All these gf beers are so bland! I'd kill for a ipa or a stout.

So what should I know? Any advice? Perhaps most importantly, has anyone found that they get a reaction from any brand of sorghum syrup? If its harvested/stored on the same equipment as other grain, it could easily become contaminated. A tested source would be incredible. Thanks all!

Last edited by Soybomb; 10-18-2009 at 08:20 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2009, 11:26 PM   #2
yorkbrew
Recipes 

Likes Given: 8

I briefly looked into making a GF beer once... trying to impress a girl... I'd say try it out and see. I don't really remember what I found out about the whole process. You could totally add some adjunct grains like quinoa to give it some complexity.

You should just play around with it and see what you come up with!

Old 10-19-2009, 01:31 AM   #3
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 132 Times on 125 Posts

Briss' sorghum syrup is certified GF, so is Brewcraft's.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 10-19-2009, 02:17 AM   #4
atun53
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default I think so...

I started making some with extract a few months ago. I think it can be done. First batch was a pale ale at 88 IBU. Not bad, definitely better then what can be bought. Using a an ounce of Zeus for bittering and had a really slow starter (Nottingham yeast from the recall). Tried hiding the sorghum aftertaste with more hops and went a little too far. Second batch was a Belgian Pale Ale that is rounding in to shape and becoming a very tasty beer after 6 weeks in the bottle. Made that with the candi syrup. Batches 3 and 4 were not so great, yeast problems again. Tried an ESB and another Pale Ale. Have hope that in 2 months the ESB will be good. Fifth batch is in the fermenter, switched to Fermentis and saw better results. Trying a partial mash with Bob's GF oats and the sorghum. We'll see how that one goes.

Quick Reply