Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > How well can you make different corn malts?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2011, 11:17 PM   #1
sly333332003
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default How well can you make different corn malts?

I'm wondering if you can roast malted corn to darker colors. I've been reading up about using other grains and how to malt them, making different types of malt, and I would like to know if anyone has done this and it turned out well. I can't find anyplace to buy other GF grains in my town but I have been able to find large bags of feed corn for cheep. The closest store is Whole foods and it's an hour away.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2011, 01:25 PM   #2
dorklord
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sly333332003 View Post
I'm wondering if you can roast malted corn to darker colors. I've been reading up about using other grains and how to malt them, making different types of malt, and I would like to know if anyone has done this and it turned out well. I can't find anyplace to buy other GF grains in my town but I have been able to find large bags of feed corn for cheep. The closest store is Whole foods and it's an hour away.
I don't know much about malted corn, but if you've got some corn you've malted, I'd say give it a try. I think you'll run into the same general problem as with most gluten free grains; that you'll have trouble getting enough enzymes in the mash to convert it.

I'd recommend ordering stuff online, that's how I get 95% of my beer ingredients.

That's bread yeast. Look at it sitting there, all depressed. Listless. Beer yeast doesn't look like that. It has hopes. Dreams. Something to look forward to...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply