Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > Hop Bursted Pale Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2012, 02:39 AM   #21
ChasidicCalvinist
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Well...I don't know. I cracked open a bottle and it tasted odd. I've probably drank a case of that batch already. After drinking half of it I poured the rest out because something didn't seem right. 1 hour later I was puking my guts out. 3 hours later I was being driven to the ER. 4 hours after that they released me. They couldn't find anything wrong and I didn't really have the signs of food poisoning. So I don't know what it was. I'm wondering if there was maybe some sanitizer left in that particular bottle or some residual mold from a previous batch. But then again, the beer may have had nothing to do with it. No clue.

so whether you eat or drink, whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.

http://acts2815.wordpress.com

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2012, 02:16 PM   #22
rlbois1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasidicCalvinist View Post
Well...I don't know. I cracked open a bottle and it tasted odd. I've probably drank a case of that batch already. After drinking half of it I poured the rest out because something didn't seem right. 1 hour later I was puking my guts out. 3 hours later I was being driven to the ER. 4 hours after that they released me. They couldn't find anything wrong and I didn't really have the signs of food poisoning. So I don't know what it was. I'm wondering if there was maybe some sanitizer left in that particular bottle or some residual mold from a previous batch. But then again, the beer may have had nothing to do with it. No clue.
Wow, that sucks; glad you're okay. Have you sampled any other bottles from that batch for clues? Weird that you had already drank a bunch from that batch with no odd taste or ill effects.

Previous:*Kitchen Sink Pale Ale, Annapolis Canadian Ale, *Dual Spires Black Lodge Ale, *3 Falls Blonde Ale, *5 Star American IPA, *Lucky 13 Imperial IPA, *English Pale Ale
Bottled/Pigged: Oak Aged Annapolis 90 Minute IPA(11/17/12), *Black Hops American IPA(11/25/12), *Centennial Honey Ale(12/29/12), *Rick's Rasberry Ale(1/18/13)
Secondary: Empty
Primary: Empty
In Planning: *Blackberry Ale

All (mostly) *Gluten Free; All (most of) the time...

Old 07-09-2012, 12:01 AM   #23
igliashon
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Took a hydrometer reading today. The hops are delectable, but the body feels a bit thin and dry for them. As it happens, I also had a chance to taste an actual Evil Twin Red Ale from Heretic Brewing (Jamil's brewing company, conveniently located here in the East Bay). I also looked at the original clone recipe (not mloster's gluten-free one), which calls for Cascade rather than Amarillo, and there is a definite difference (albeit a subtle one) in the hops. The "real thing" is more grapefruity, while mine is more tropical.

All told, this is going to be a very nice, drinkable pale ale, verging on an IPA. I would not want more hops in this one, the body does not really stand up to it. What I would do in the future if I brewed this again (I probably won't, as it's close to the grapefruit IPA recipe I'm trying to perfect) is add some amber candi syrup and just a touch of molasses, and also bump all my hop additions up by .1 oz.

Should be bottling this one next week! It'll be a great summer quencher.

Old 07-19-2012, 10:11 PM   #24
rlbois1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mloster View Post
I brewed about 6 weeks ago. I wanted to try a hoppier beer which seems very compatible with GF brewing. I used the hop schedule from Jamil's evil twin recipe. Just to ensure that I had a sufficiently hopped wort, I added some magnum at 60 minutes. The recipe is for a 5 gallon batch and is as follows:
6 lbs LME Brown Rice Syrup (bought from highgravitybrew.com)
13.5 oz buckwheat honey
.4 oz Magnum [13.5%] @60 min
1 oz Amarillo [7%] @20 min
1 oz Centennial [10 %] @20 min
1 oz Amarillo [7%] @10 min
1 oz Centennial [10%] @10 min
1 oz Amarillo [7%] @flameout
1 packet S-04
1 whirlfloc tablet @10 min
1 tsp yeast nutrient @10 min
I'll post a pic of it later. The beer turned out crystal clear. The hop character isn't harsh like many IPAs/APAs tend to be. It's prominent yet not mouth-puckering. The malt bill turned out surprisingly well. If I were to brew again, I'd probably use 10 oz of buckwheat honey. Disregarding the hop flavor, the base is fairly unidimensional and malty but not in a bad way. This is by far the best beer I've ever made. My non-GF friends couldn't tell it was GF, though they know I brew GF beer. Also, this was one of simplest recipes I've made– no malting, no mashing, no sparging.
I've got some buckwheat honey and I'm thinking of brewing a batch of this. What were the OG and FG? BrewTarget is predicting 1.048 and 1.012, but that's with 1lb of generic honey... Also, how happy were you with the hopping schedule? Would you change anything hop-wise? I'm thinking I could maybe sub some Cascade (trying to use up the 1lb bag I bought) for the Centennial without changing the hop profile too drastically?

Previous:*Kitchen Sink Pale Ale, Annapolis Canadian Ale, *Dual Spires Black Lodge Ale, *3 Falls Blonde Ale, *5 Star American IPA, *Lucky 13 Imperial IPA, *English Pale Ale
Bottled/Pigged: Oak Aged Annapolis 90 Minute IPA(11/17/12), *Black Hops American IPA(11/25/12), *Centennial Honey Ale(12/29/12), *Rick's Rasberry Ale(1/18/13)

Old 07-20-2012, 05:48 AM   #25
mloster
Recipes 

I never got an OG or FG since my hydrometer broke. Those numbers sound about right for hoitw alcoholic it tasted, about 4% It probably finished a bit drier than 1.012. Id guest 1.008 or so just from tasting and measuring other beers. I was completely happy with the hopping. If you like some other low AA combination of hops then go for it. I was just following Jamil's original hop schedule. Cascade should be fine. Id definitely call this a hybrid pale ale and Ipa. It's a pale ale that's hopped like an Ipa

Old 07-20-2012, 10:49 AM   #26
ChasidicCalvinist
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I should probably update my puking incident...it was unfortunate timing. Turns out it was a really bad stomach virus. My secretary and a few other people I know came down with it several days later. Fortunately, my wife and new baby never got sick. And I'm also glad I was suspicious enough to NOT pour out the rest of the beer.

so whether you eat or drink, whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.

http://acts2815.wordpress.com

Old 07-31-2012, 01:54 AM   #27
igliashon
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Bottled this about four days ago, and couldn't resist cracking one today (LOL, I got NO patience!). Excellent. Simply excellent. Yeah, it's undercarbed, but it came out a lot sweeter than I thought from the hydrometer samples. This is a very, very good beer. The hops are wonderful, and it does have a nice clean light maltiness. It reminds me a whole lot of the St. Peter's Sorgham ale, except that where the sorghum twang normally comes in there's a nice bready crispness. I think I'm definitely going to move away from using sorghum, this is much better than my sorghum-based recipes.

And now I'm wishing I'd taken mloster's advice and bumped the hops up a bit! The rice really does stand up just fine, all on its own. The only thing that could really improve this one is some dry-hopping to kick up the aroma. Thanks for this excellent recipe, mloster!

Old 07-31-2012, 02:38 PM   #28
rlbois1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by igliashon View Post
Bottled this about four days ago, and couldn't resist cracking one today (LOL, I got NO patience!). Excellent. Simply excellent. Yeah, it's undercarbed, but it came out a lot sweeter than I thought from the hydrometer samples. This is a very, very good beer. The hops are wonderful, and it does have a nice clean light maltiness. It reminds me a whole lot of the St. Peter's Sorgham ale, except that where the sorghum twang normally comes in there's a nice bready crispness. I think I'm definitely going to move away from using sorghum, this is much better than my sorghum-based recipes.

And now I'm wishing I'd taken mloster's advice and bumped the hops up a bit! The rice really does stand up just fine, all on its own. The only thing that could really improve this one is some dry-hopping to kick up the aroma. Thanks for this excellent recipe, mloster!
I just brewed up a non-GF Canadian Ale for a neighbor as a gift, but as soon as my primary re-opens I will be brewing up a batch of this beer. Two questions for you: 1) what would you dry hop with? And 2) I've already asked mloster, but what is your opinion on subbing Cascade for the Centennial in this recipe? Like I said, I bought a pound of Cascade to experiment with, and was I thinking they could be ~similar enough to the Centennial to substitute without totally dorking up the hopping of this recipe...

Old 07-31-2012, 05:20 PM   #29
igliashon
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

I'd dry-hop with both of the kettle hops (amarillo and centennial). I'd say you could sub cascade for amarillo more effectively than for centennial just because of IBUs, but you'll still be fine subbing for centennial--just up the amount to hit the proper IBUs.

Old 08-01-2012, 07:48 AM   #30
thanantos
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Side note here: Where are you guys getting buckwheat honey from and how does it differ in the end from regular honey?

Quick Reply