Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > Hop Bursted Pale Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2012, 06:42 AM   #11
mloster
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I can't say either way as to the conversion of DME to LME between rice syrups because I haven't experimented with it. I've only used LME. As for the buckwheat honey, it brings a higher OG since honey is highly fermentable, but, more importantly, it brings a malty flavor that can only be matched with barley malt or home malted GF grains, which are much more work.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2012, 04:15 PM   #12
dorklord
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcalisi View Post
Is Rice Syrup Solids DME and LME the same and is it a 1:1 conversion? What is the buckwheat honey bringing to the party?
Rice syrup solids are fully dehydrated rice extract syrup. I think I saw somewhere that the syrup is 20% water, so you'd need roughly 20% more of it to equal an amount of the solids.

That's bread yeast. Look at it sitting there, all depressed. Listless. Beer yeast doesn't look like that. It has hopes. Dreams. Something to look forward to...

Old 06-24-2012, 04:42 PM   #13
igliashon
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 40

So, I just ordered a bunch of this syrup from High Gravity, and it arrived *actively fermenting*! One of the buckets had popped open, and leaked syrup all over the inside of the shipping box. I resealed it and the next day it had popped open again and leaked more onto my floor (which was a B**** to clean up). When I opened the buckets, the syrup was bubbly and smelled yeasty. I've e-mailed them but they haven't gotten back to me yet. I'm hoping they'll send replacement syrup post-haste, but man...what kind of yeast can live in BRS??

Old 06-24-2012, 05:48 PM   #14
mloster
Recipes 

A similar thing happened to me once when I ordered BRS. The bucket had opened, covering everything in incredibly sticky BRS. Mine, though, was not actively fermenting. I emailed them about the problem and promptly sent me a replacement free of charge. They seemed very nice about it. But it still seems as though they don't know how to properly package and ship BRS.

Old 06-30-2012, 01:54 AM   #15
igliashon
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Well, I'm brewing this up today with the replacement BRS they sent me. I'm doing a 3-gallon version, though, so the recipe was adjusted ever so slightly. It is nevertheless the closest thing to following an exact recipe I've done since my very first brew (which was a kit). Only change is I subbed Millenium hops for Warrior.

---

3 gallon batch:

Malt Bill:
4 lbs Briess High-Maltose Brown Rice Syrup at 60 min
8 oz Buckwheat Honey at flame-out
2 oz maltodextrin

Hop Schedule:

0.2 oz Millenium (17.4% AA) at 60 min
0.5 oz Amarillo (7% AA) at 20 min
0.5 oz Centennial (10% AA) at 20 min
0.5 oz Amarillo at 10 min
0.5 oz Centennial at 10 min
0.5 oz Amarillo at flame-out

S-04 Yeast

1 tab Whirlfloc at 15 min
1/2 tsp Yeast Nutrient at 15 min

I'm putting my faith in you, mloster! You say it's the best you've done so far, and I reckon that means something. I was tempted to do some modding, like adding a pound of amber candi syrup and some steeping grains, but I'll save that for a re-brew, just because I want to taste what you're tasting.

Old 06-30-2012, 06:11 PM   #16
mloster
Recipes 

Looks great! I'm sure it'll come out a tasty brew. If there was anything to change in your scaled down recipe, I'd shoot for .6-.7 oz of amarillo and centennial at each addition. Hope it's not too late before you brew.

Old 07-01-2012, 12:13 AM   #17
igliashon
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Eh, I actually think I come out closer to 2.5 gallons than 3, at the end of the boil the water level in my kettle showed exactly 3 gallons, but I think I lose at least half of that to hops and trub. TBH, and this is gonna sound weird, I'm not entirely sure what volume to use to formulate my recipes. I use 3 gallons in beer calculus, but end up with less than that in bottles at the end of the process. Maybe I should go enquire in the beginners forum about that, actually.... In any case, I think the beer will be plenty hoppy for a pale ale!

Old 07-01-2012, 12:18 AM   #18
ChasidicCalvinist
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I usually brew with only 1-2 gallons, then pour in more water at the end to reach the desired level--3 or 5 gallons. In my last batch, your Grapefruit IPA--I poured it up to 3.5 since I figured with the dry hop I'd lose half a gallon. In the one or two I've had, they tasted great. I don't think it makes much of a difference what volume you use during the boil.

On the other hand, I was in the ER last night possibly because of something I homebrewed so what do I know.

so whether you eat or drink, whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.

http://acts2815.wordpress.com

Old 07-01-2012, 02:01 AM   #19
igliashon
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Okay, the consensus from the "General Techniques" forum is that recipe volume = volume at the end of the boil, i.e. pre-whirlpool/filtering, pre-fermentation. So apparently yes, I make 3-gallon batches, which come out to 2.5 gallons in bottling. Who knew brewing involved so much $#(@ing math?!

In any case, Beer Calculus shows my version of the recipe to be between 52 and 79 IBUs (depending on what calculation method you pick), which is more in range for an IPA than a Pale Ale already...I think it'll be fine!

Old 07-01-2012, 11:10 AM   #20
rlbois1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasidicCalvinist View Post
...I don't think it makes much of a difference what volume you use during the boil.

On the other hand, I was in the ER last night possibly because of something I homebrewed so what do I know.
Believe the basic rule of thumb is: smaller boil (relative to batch size) equals lower IBU's. Also, late additions of fermentables equal higher IBU's. There are no doubt other interrelationships... but I think the bottom line is that as usual, size does matter.

In the ER due to a batch of brew?? Please share.

Previous:*Kitchen Sink Pale Ale, Annapolis Canadian Ale, *Dual Spires Black Lodge Ale, *3 Falls Blonde Ale, *5 Star American IPA, *Lucky 13 Imperial IPA, *English Pale Ale
Bottled/Pigged: Oak Aged Annapolis 90 Minute IPA(11/17/12), *Black Hops American IPA(11/25/12), *Centennial Honey Ale(12/29/12), *Rick's Rasberry Ale(1/18/13)
Secondary: Empty
Primary: Empty
In Planning: *Blackberry Ale

All (mostly) *Gluten Free; All (most of) the time...

Quick Reply